Infinity PS210 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-05-2011, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Infinity PS210 that started clicking and the power & the power & standby lights flicking back & forth. I was told the amplifier needs to be replaced but it sounds like I may still have problems again if I replace it. I know there have been a lot of problems with this unit and since I'm past 3 yrs., Infinity won't do anything. Is there a source where I can get a new amp cheap to try that? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-05-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I don't know where to get a replacement amp. Look on ebay.

I personally wouldn't bother getting it fixed. It will probably cost in excess of $100 and the new amp may overheat and break. Put your money towards a new sub.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-05-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherirs View Post

I was told the amplifier needs to be replaced but it sounds like I may still have problems again if I replace it. I know there have been a lot of problems with this unit

Not sure what type of problems that model has been having, or what the true failure rate is, but it might not be worth repairing it if you have doubts about longevity. I think it was around $500 when new, so it may still have value though.

If you decide to repair it -- but don't want to use another "suspect" amp -- then you can always try Parts Express, Madisound or O Audio. The first two are companies that sell a lot of speaker building parts, the last is a company that makes pretty solid plate amps.

You may have to do some cabinet modifications if you opt to go that route, but it might be something worth considering if you like the subwoofer otherwise.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #4 of 6 Old 12-06-2011, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
With the exception of the JBL L8400P, JBL/Infinity amps have had issues for 10+ years.

You might consider the Parts Express 300w BASH amp at <$170

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-750 .

You can look around to determine whether a replacement amp is almost exactly the correct size as a replacement.

You can also consider making a rectangular shape from 2"x4"s that you glue onto the back of the PS210 and into which you screw the new amp. I used a PE 500w BASH amp as a replacement on a 9+ year old 15" subwoofer three years ago.

At <$400, individuals in this forum like the Hsu STF-2.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
You could replace the amp with another, but the results may or may not be satisfactory. The original amp may have built in DSP (...digital signal processing...) like some type of EQ (...equalization...) to achieve the PS210's FR (...frequency response...). Putting an amp without that DSP in the sub could net you results that don't jive with the sub as originally designed. As always, YMMV.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-28-2012, 04:45 PM

Liked: 10
I have a few year old PS210 as well.
Recently I noticed that it makes a pop noise and then we checked the back, and notice the light goes from green to red and sometime back to green. Just sitting watching TV (ATT Uverse) we can notice the popping. Not sure if any of the stations really use the sub but we do hear it working bit when playing PS3 games (but also notice it pops sometimes too). I removed the cover and lightly pushed in the cone and feel/hear it working. I notice the back plate seems really hot. It is connected to a Onkyo receiver. I have read bad things about this sub.

Just wonder how to trouble shoot it.

Thoughts?

Thx!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page