Down to 3 choices for 12" Duals..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 12-05-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Duals of either : LFM-1 plus, Rythmik F12, Epik legend : OK so i'm down to these 3 for my Home Theater . 1 : I like clean unmuddy bass
2 : I have fairly large room (4000cf)

The room will be mostly used for HT 75% , and 25% Music
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-05-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Im in your same boat, except I wanted one 15 for now. I decided on the Rthmik F25. I've read great things about Rthmik and their servos.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-06-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
I'm right there with you. I'm buying dual LFM-1 Plus's.... What sold me on them was a the power, b the price, c the extension, and d the fact that sub and ports are down firing cuz I have a 7 mo old daughter and a cat and dog.

Shawn
post #4 of 27 Old 12-06-2011, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

I'm right there with you. I'm buying dual LFM-1 Plus's.... What sold me on them was a the power, b the price, c the extension, and d the fact that sub and ports are down firing cuz I have a 7 mo old daughter and a cat and dog.

Seems like a very good choice from all the reviews i've read ,let me know your impressions when all set up !!
post #5 of 27 Old 12-06-2011, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

Seems like a very good choice from all the reviews i've read ,let me know your impressions when all set up !!

Will do........ but i'm getting them at tax return time. With a 7 mo old not to much extra cash on a day to day basis.

But the LFM-1 Plus's are definitely what I'm getting. I already made isolation platforms for them.

Shawn
post #6 of 27 Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any more Sub Guru's advise on which subs would be the best choice ???
post #7 of 27 Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The wife let me take advantage of the sale...... so i got dual pluses for $998 delivered. They are amazing, very beautiful and huge. They have more than enough power, output, and extension for me. I couldn't be happier. When I first used them they were really tight and didn't seem to have a lot of out put, but that changed after about an hour of music and a few bass intense movie scenes. They sound amazing.

Shawn
post #8 of 27 Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe you meant to say Dual Rythmik FV-12 in the opening post, correct?
F-12 is sealed and FV-12 is vented... and about a $300 difference in price (times two would make it $600 difference for duals)

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #9 of 27 Old 12-30-2011, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

I believe you meant to say Dual Rythmik FV-12 in the opening post, correct?
F-12 is sealed and FV-12 is vented... and about a $300 difference in price (times two would make it $600 difference for duals)

No,... I actually was considering the F12's or building downfiring DIY DS1200 . I could not live with the look of the FV12, ugly and to big . If they change the design (on previous thread RYTHMIK said were open to suggestion, I suggested similar design to LFM-1) ) ,they would probably first option.)

It's hard to decide , some prefer the LFM-1+ because they have higher output at lower HZ for movies and are still are very good with music ??

On another thread one member directly compared the FV12 with the Legend and said suprisingly that the Lengend went lower and louder !! but the FV12 was tighter.

One thing is I dont want Huge boxes ,the LFM-1+ is at the very limit of size for me.

Since I listen at moderate levels (-15) , maybe the Dual F12's or DS1200could provide the ouput needed , and the best accuracy.

I really am seriously thinking of building 2 DS 1200's . Downfiring make them very discrete and small footprint !!
post #10 of 27 Old 12-30-2011, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

One thing to add about the LFM-1 Plus, it makes a very good end table. Even while cranked up there is virtually no vibrations on the top of the sub. My wife thinks they look good and liked that the second one could double as a new end table and its black so it matches the new coffee table we just bought.

Shawn
post #11 of 27 Old 12-30-2011, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...It's hard to decide , some prefer the LFM-1+ because they have higher output at lower HZ for movies and are still are very good with music ??..

Apparently not compared to the FV12 according to someone (Shift) who had listen to both subs in the same room and reported about it in your other thread.

Quote:

...On another thread one member directly compared the FV12 with the Legend and said suprisingly that the Lengend went lower and louder !! but the FV12 was tighter...

If you are referring the soapboxpreacher, he's said a lot of contradicting things in that one long thread comparing first the Legend to his Velodyne and then later the FV12... his opinions kept changing depending upon when it was said. He went from dissing the FV12 to finally seeing the error of his ways (apparently had something to do with placement and calibration, I don't remember precisely what his deal was as I didn't bother to read close enough). Bottom line being apparently he changed his mind over time and I believe in the end he was saying just the opposite of what you're saying (except for the part about the FV12 playing tighter).

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #12 of 27 Old 12-30-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monomer View Post

Apparently not compared to the FV12 according to someone (Shift) who had listen to both subs in the same room and reported about it in your other thread.

If you are referring the soapboxpreacher, he's said a lot of contradicting things in that one long thread comparing first the Legend to his Velodyne and then later the FV12... his opinions kept changing depending upon when it was said. He went from dissing the FV12 to finally seeing the error of his ways (apparently had something to do with placement and calibration, I don't remember precisely what his deal was as I didn't bother to read close enough). Bottom line being apparently he changed his mind over time and I believe in the end he was saying just the opposite of what you're saying (except for the part about the FV12 playing tighter).

Well reading threads just get us within the 2-3 best subs for our buget. One will prefer one sub and then another will be the opposite ?...After getting the 2-3 best choices, it's all up to personal tastes I guess .

I really wish there was a Mid priced Shootout (400- 750.00 $) with a mixture of Sealed and Ported 12" Subs . This is probably the most popular price range and would benifit the most people!!
post #13 of 27 Old 12-30-2011, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Can someone show me a professional test on the LFM-1 Plus that demonstrates the prowess of the LFM-1 Plus with music?

Off the top I would rate the OP's original choices:

Rythmik

Outlaw

Epik Legend
post #14 of 27 Old 12-30-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Can someone show me a professional test on the LFM-1 Plus that demonstrates the prowess of the LFM-1 Plus with music?...

Audioholics did review the EX (the "up-scaled" version of the PLUS???) and found accuracy to be somewhat lacking... I suppose one could translate that into saying it wasn't quite as good with music as others in its price range. This is quoted from the conclusion in that review, make of it what you will... "It also managed to sound very natural and just plain old good with music. Not the most articulate bass ever, but quite good."

From what I've read, I'd have to agree with your rankings...

Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #15 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Duals of either : LFM-1 plus, Rythmik F12, Epik legend : OK so i'm down to these 3 for my Home Theater . 1 : I like clean unmuddy bass

Have you considered the VTF-3 MK4 ? I like how it looks in Rosenut Veneer and I would like to hear some comparisons/opinions between this and the Rythmik F12.
post #16 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:

The room will be mostly used for HT 75% , and 25% Music

All of these will have muddy bass relative to a better sub. All will have clean bass relative to a lesser sub. So whether or not any/all of these meet your requirement really depends on your expectations, which hinges on your previous experience. What are you looking to do as well as or better than in a sub that you have heard before? It may be all would meet your expectations, and you can base your decision on other factors.

post #17 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm know they would all beat my current sub easily, because it is a Kef Cube 2 ,10" ,250w sealed Sub . Will probably be going with (dual) Rythmik's DIY DS 1200 kits . I only listen at moderate levels (-15 on amp) so i think Output should be enough even for HT. Like i've said before , a 12" Mid-Priced (400-750$) shootout would benefit many consumers !
post #18 of 27 Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:

I'm know they would all beat my current sub easily, because it is a Kef Cube 2 ,10" ,250w sealed Sub . Will probably be going with (dual) Rythmik's DIY DS 1200 kits . I only listen at moderate levels (-15 on amp) so i think Output should be enough even for HT. Like i've said before , a 12" Mid-Priced (400-750$) shootout would benefit many consumers !

Well, if you are used to the sealed sub sound, then Rythmik makes a lot of sense because they are known for tight sound with those servo drivers in their sealed subs. A definite upgrade

post #19 of 27 Old 01-08-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

What we really need to see ,is a Mid -Priced 12" Shootout ! (450 -750.00$)
post #20 of 27 Old 01-08-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I had owned both the LFM1-Plus & FV-12 (both at different times).

Out of these two, for movies they were comparable, but I do give the slight edge to FV-12. Amp was tuned lower and servo was set. The output on the FV12 has the slight edge and just was tight and cleaner. Output also showed from the sofa I sat on, which was about 13' away from the sub. Also since I owned the LFM1-Plus and did have it on the subdude, it still didn't sound as good. It was nice, but not as nice at the FV12.

Both cabinets are not appealing. The floor firing and option to close off a port on the Outlaw was nice. Too me they are nice for end tables, but who really wants these kind of subs very close (near field). Push this sub away and let it breath and travel to you!!

I like kisses blown to me (ever seen the scene on Superman when the lady blew Superman a kiss from a distance and he flew away further? )

Right now I don't have either (sold them both). Once I get my new house built, I do plan on getting either 2- FV12's or maybe the Legends by Epik subs, but for some odd reason since I know I had much smiles with the FV12, why not just get them and be happy. Plus my back is tired of messing with 60+ lbs subs. I am not getting any younger..... at least thats what my lower-back is telling me.

Shhhhhhhhh
post #21 of 27 Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:

What we really need to see ,is a Mid -Priced 12" Shootout ! (450 -750.00$)

Hey Randy, got my VTF-15H. Let me know if you want a demo.

HT Setup

PSN: le_gros_thon
post #22 of 27 Old 01-08-2012, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post

Out of these two, for movies they were comparable, but I do give the slight edge to FV-12. Amp was tuned lower and servo was set. The output on the FV12 has the slight edge and just was tight and cleaner. Output also showed from the sofa I sat on, which was about 13' away from the sub. Also since I owned the LFM1-Plus and did have it on the subdude, it still didn't sound as good. It was nice, but not as nice at the FV12.

Both cabinets are not appealing. The floor firing and option to close off a port on the Outlaw was nice. Too me they are nice for end tables, but who really wants these kind of subs very close (near field). Push this sub away and let it breath and travel to you!!

I like kisses blown to me (ever seen the scene on Superman when the lady blew Superman a kiss from a distance and he flew away further? )

Right now I don't have either (sold them both). Once I get my new house built, I do plan on getting either 2- FV12's or maybe the Legends by Epik subs, but for some odd reason since I know I had much smiles with the FV12, why not just get them and be happy. Plus my back is tired of messing with 60+ lbs subs. I am not getting any younger..... at least thats what my lower-back is telling me.

It's good to hear the FV12 is a great sub. I'm guessing it slots right in between the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus and EX as far as output with a slight edge in tightness.
post #23 of 27 Old 01-08-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post

Hey jsgrise ! how r u . I would love to hear it !. I am free all this week ,so u can give me a call 514 941 5419 or you can leave me your num, and I will call U back .

Thanks !
post #24 of 27 Old 01-08-2012, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift View Post

Hey Shift ,thanks for the info . There was another member i think it was Soapboxpreacher that had the Legend and the FV12 in his room for comparisons. For HT he was very surprised that the Legend had more Ouput and Extension than the FV12 ! ...He still preferred the tighter overall sound of the FV12 !
post #25 of 27 Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:

Hey jsgrise ! how r u . I would love to hear it !. I am free all this week ,so u can give me a call 514 941 5419 or you can leave me your num, and I will call U back .

Thanks !

Alright I'll let you know as soon as I can. It should be during the day around mid-week.

HT Setup

PSN: le_gros_thon
post #26 of 27 Old 01-09-2012, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Alright I'll let you know as soon as I can. It should be during the day around mid-week.

Great ,you can just PM me the info if you want .
post #27 of 27 Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was in your shoes last year and ended up buying dual Epik Legends. I couldn't be happier with my decision. These are the least expensive components in my HT and perform way above their price range. Rest is Thiel and Krell, so pretty good stuff.

"Suddenly the thought struck me, my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page