post #271 of 431 Old 01-16-2012, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfmiller View Post

I disagree with the enthusiasm part, personally I can't be more enthused!!

Agreed! Even though our meet will be a bit less formal, it's sure to be a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Well it looks like the ELA-5 is a go.
So, njandy, how big was your car again?

Fantastic, looking forwarding to doing some listening with the ELA-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbenLee View Post

I'm planning to come out to the gathering as long as this is okay. The subs I'm bringing are only the ones Jim Wilson has already talked about, so nothing new on the menu as far as subwoofers go. Jim and I will have an ELA-3 and the ELA-5 prototype.

I'm sure it was already posted on this thread somewhere, but what's the address? (forget it, I emailed the thread starter)

Peter Selby -owner/ EbenLee Audio and home-speaker.net

Peter - I just responded to your email. Glad to hear you will be joining us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4yDubs View Post

I haven't posted in the thread because I'm not going to be able to make it (and I'm in the NW Philly Burbs! Grrrr...), but I wanted to add this note so everyone can see that it's not just the people attending that will enjoy this GTG. No doubt the people there are the lucky ones, but I for one am really looking forward to the write ups afterward.

John

John - You're THAT close and you're passing this up? Man! We will have to get together some other time for sure.

Quote:

So is the consensus the start time is still going to be between 9:00-9:30AM? I don't imagine being able to get their that early, but I just wanted to confirm if that's when the GTG will actually begin.

I think 9:30 is a good balance of getting an early start and allowing ample time for the out of towners to drive in.

Mike - Would you agree?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

My guest is not going to make it, but my wife might take his spot. Is that ok?

No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone215 View Post

To Gorilla,
What else do you need us to bring?

As for food/extras I'll leave that up to Mike, but we were planning on ordering the main food/drinks for the group.

If anyone has any interesting music or movie clips for the group that they feel would benefit the listening session, please feel free to bring it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 431 Old 01-16-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
9:00-9:30 is fine
post #273 of 431 Old 01-16-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Who is bringing wives or girlfriends that couldn't care less when it comes to subwoofers? My girlfriend is trying to figure out what she is gonna do that day.
post #274 of 431 Old 01-16-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

9:00-9:30 is fine

Perhaps for those who's location is "Delaware,philly" it is, but if you have to travel over 2 hours then not so much. Just save me a cold one, because you won't be seeing me at 9:30am...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #275 of 431 Old 01-16-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 33
My guest changed his mind and is coming now. The wife is staying home and trying to figure out what to do too. Now she doesn't have a car either.
post #276 of 431 Old 01-16-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

Who is bringing wives or girlfriends that couldn't care less when it comes to subwoofers? My girlfriend is trying to figure out what she is gonna do that day.

even though swmbo actually does take an interest in these things, she will not be attending...

actually, if i had to guess, many dollars will be consumed on a "girlie-girl day", complete with manicure, pedicure, hair color/cut and a massage/spa...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #277 of 431 Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 61
That time is OK with me. I just need to work it out the time Chris wants(is able) to pick me up.
Thanks again Chris

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #278 of 431 Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

So far I'm making 5 copies of the demo disk...anyone else please let me know.

Also anyone wondering what to bring just do whatever when it comes to beers, sodas and snacks. Andrew and I will grab some donuts and coffee in the morning and also organize the main feast most likely a late lunch - early dinner.

Seems like the general consensus is we are gonna leave the girls out of this one. Probably a good idea so space won't become an issue.

On another note Andrew helped me remember that I have a 20a outlet in my living room that is about 15ft away from where the subs are located. So if anyone would prefer to be jacked into the 20a that is an option.
post #279 of 431 Old 01-17-2012, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Perhaps for those who's location is "Delaware,philly" it is, but if you have to travel over 2 hours then not so much. Just save me a cold one, because you won't be seeing me at 9:30am...

Jim - It's going to take us some time to set up so it will be some time before we get going. I'm planning on arriving around 8-8:30 or so to set up. What time do you think you could reasonably get there?

Quote:

On another note Andrew helped me remember that I have a 20a outlet in my living room that is about 15ft away from where the subs are located. So if anyone would prefer to be jacked into the 20a that is an option.

If anyone needs it, I'll also have a NEMA 20-->15 adapter in case we need to run an extension cord to this outlet as well. I'll likely use this to power the Crown.
post #280 of 431 Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

On a related note, I've been working with Jeff P. from JTR to figure out a way to get us some of his new subs to play with at this event. I for one am stoked to potentially listen to a new set of the sealed Captivators.

Go ahead and be excited.
post #281 of 431 Old 01-17-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

^^That would be neat! How heavy are they? It didn't say in the specs.
post #282 of 431 Old 01-17-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

^^That would be neat! How heavy are they? It didn't say in the specs.

Per Jeff's post on his forum, they are 120lbs. Nice and compact, eh?
post #283 of 431 Old 01-17-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

On a related note, I've been working with Jeff P. from JTR to figure out a way to get us some of his new subs to play with at this event. I for one am stoked to potentially listen to a new set of the sealed Captivators.

Go ahead and be excited.

Yea, that would be pretty cool. At 120lbs, not too much heavier then a SubMersive HP I think.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #284 of 431 Old 01-17-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Jim - It's going to take us some time to set up so it will be some time before we get going. I'm planning on arriving around 8-8:30 or so to set up. What time do you think you could reasonably get there?

Not sure actually. I was going to come down with njandy, because it turns out we live surprisingly close. I'll PM him and see what he had in mind.

post #285 of 431 Old 01-17-2012, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Did I mention that I am absolutely fine with JTR sending me those subs to my house...he can even send them tomorrow if he likes so I can break them in proper!!!

I'm really excited to see how the submersives and these new sealed captivators compare to my custom creations in terms of extension.
post #286 of 431 Old 01-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

So far I'm making 5 copies of the demo disk...anyone else please let me know.

Also anyone wondering what to bring just do whatever when it comes to beers, sodas and snacks. Andrew and I will grab some donuts and coffee in the morning and also organize the main feast most likely a late lunch - early dinner.

Seems like the general consensus is we are gonna leave the girls out of this one. Probably a good idea so space won't become an issue.

You know what, count me in for one. I was considering burning one myself (already downloaded the material) but there's one snag. Yeah, I don't have a burner yet. So, to play it safe, definitely count me in for one.
post #287 of 431 Old 01-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Liked: 11
You can count me in for one of the demo disks. The meet just keeps getting better. More JTR is never a bad thing.
post #288 of 431 Old 01-17-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Damn, makes me want to bring the Cap 1k instead of the Dragon.
post #289 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Damn, makes me want to bring the Cap 1k instead of the Dragon.

I think we will have good Cap representation.

All - Right now I count 5 of the 'heavy hitter' setups (Caps, ELA-5s, Submersives, F113s, Custom MFWs) in duals and 4 singles (Dragon, SVS, Rythmik, ELA-3). Say we start testing 10am, do we think this is feasible in a single day?

Let's break it down and say we go until 7PM with a 1hour hiatus for lunch. That gives us ~8 hours for moving, setup/calibration, and teardown. Assuming 9 setups will be tested, that gives us 0.88 hours or 53 minutes each. Realistically this is probably a half hour of listening to each setup.

Mike and I talked about the Calibration - We assumed since the subs would be in the same location and in the interest of time we would simply be level matching while running some quick REW sweeps. Audessey may simply eat up too much time and not provide accurate results across the board. Thoughts?
post #290 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All - Right now I count 5 of the 'heavy hitter' setups (Caps, ELA-5s, Submersives, F113s, Custom MFWs) in duals and 4 singles (Dragon, SVS, Rythmik, ELA-3).

You can pull the ELA-3 from the line up. I discussed it with Peter and we both agree it's not the proper size unit for this GTG. It's a heckuva sub (says the co-designer ), but a single one of those is going to pale in comparison after your ears get to hear those dual setups.

I'll have to check on the dual ELA-5's as well. I know a single has been committed, but I'm not sure that two of them were. Since it's only a prototype I can't confirm how many are going to be built in time. I'm sure Peter will chime in on that part though.

post #291 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

10am is good for me. Now, I don't have to wake up at 6:30am.
post #292 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 06:59 AM

Liked: 10
I was only bringing one ELA-5.

As Jim noted it is a prototype, so it seems a shame to build 2 of them identical as I may need to make some changes to it after the event. Hopefully not, but you just never know... Jim Wilson and I ended up changing one thing on the ELA-3 after the proto was shipped to him for final inspection.

Does this change anything for you? Just one ELA-5? We can bring two ELA-3's if you insist, but those are only 10's and I'm pretty confident one ELA-5 will outperform two of the ELA-3's... Just let me know what you would rather we do.
post #293 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'll have to check on the dual ELA-5's as well. I know a single has been committed, but I'm not sure that two of them were. Since it's only a prototype I can't confirm how many are going to be built in time. I'm sure Peter will chime in on that part though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbenLee View Post

I was only bringing one ELA-5.

As Jim noted it is a prototype, so it seems a shame to build 2 of them identical as I may need to make some changes to it after the event. Hopefully not, but you just never know... Jim Wilson and I ended up changing one thing on the ELA-3 after the proto was shipped to him for final inspection.

Does this change anything for you? Just one ELA-5? We can bring two ELA-3's if you insist, but those are only 10's and I'm pretty confident one ELA-5 will outperform two of the ELA-3's... Just let me know what you would rather we do.

You guys are absolutely correct - you never did say anything about duals, my apologies. No worries, I was just including it with our heavy hitters which are for the most part duals and mistakenly included 'duals' in the title. No problems with the single of course, we're excited to check it out!

So what are everyone's thoughts regarding the timeframe and calibration method?

Do we have someone with an Omnimic that could volunteer to take sweeps of each setup?
post #294 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

10am works for me as well. As long as Chris can pick me up at say, about 8:30-9:00am?
Chris? What do you think.

My System

post #295 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

yea, somewhere in that neighborhood, maybe a tad earlier depending on how bfreedma and me plan it out... we are having dinner saturday night, and assuming we don't consume too much sake, we should have a plan of action laid out after that...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #296 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

yea, somewhere in that neighborhood, maybe a tad earlier depending on how bfreedma and me plan it out... we are having dinner saturday night, and assuming we don't consume too much sake, we should have a plan of action laid out after that...

I am flexible with time so if you want to make it a bit ealier, that's OK with me. After all, YOU are giving ME a ride.

My System

post #297 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I think we do our calibration like archaea describes in his blind thread.

I have audyssey multeq with my integra receiver. Not the greatest but it should serve its purpose. Multeq has 6 measurement positions. I also have a BFD and REW. We can...if we want add subwoofer filters as well thru the BFD. The only problem with this is the integra puts out a lot of voltage and can lead to digital clipping in the BFD if not tweaked correctly.
post #298 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:

I think we do our calibration like archaea describes in his blind thread.

Did you see the variation Audyssey imparted on the various subwoofers?

I suspect it would be a little more consistent if we only used one subwoofer output, even if 2 subs are used. The Quattro MFW-15 DIY setup was a good example as it was connected as one subwoofer, but no matter what you are always comparing what Audyssey does to the subs in the room, not just the subwoofers.

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
post #299 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Seaton View Post

Did you see the variation Audyssey imparted on the various subwoofers?

I suspect it would be a little more consistent if we only used one subwoofer output, even if 2 subs are used. The Quattro MFW-15 DIY setup was a good example as it was connected as one subwoofer, but no matter what you are always comparing what Audyssey does to the subs in the room, not just the subwoofers.

I am unable to enlarge the picture on my phone. For some reason I keep getting an error.

What do u think is a good way to setup each sub prior to testing? I can use one subwoofer output but I'm going to need a decent y-cable. On my integra 40.2 I have two subwoofer outs. I have 4 seperate boxes setup in the room tho. My dual opposed are connected thru one output and my single 15's in the rear of the room are connected to the other output.
post #300 of 431 Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I am unable to enlarge the picture on my phone. For some reason I keep getting an error.

What do u think is a good way to setup each sub prior to testing? I can use one subwoofer output but I'm going to need a decent y-cable. On my integra 40.2 I have two subwoofer outs. I have 4 seperate boxes setup in the room tho. My dual opposed are connected thru one output and my single 15's in the rear of the room are connected to the other output.

I did not see this anywhere but it probably is somewhere but are you planning on single or dual subs for the GTG?
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page