NJ/DE/PA/MD/NY GTG Interest Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 431 Old 12-30-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So does anyone have a verdict yet if my system is good enough for the GTG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 431 Old 12-30-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

So does anyone have a verdict yet if my system is good enough for the GTG?

Do you mean these?
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4906-fo...peaker-ea.aspx

If so, they will probably be fine. They have a 91db sensitivity and are rated to go down to 67Hz. We will probably cross them over higher then that. Also, 91db is not that bad. I think they can probably hold up with the subs we will be testing.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #183 of 431 Old 12-30-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIkeDuke View Post

Do you mean these?
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-4906-fo...peaker-ea.aspx

If so, they will probably be fine. They have a 91db sensitivity and are rated to go down to 67Hz. We will probably cross them over higher then that. Also, 91db is not that bad. I think they can probably hold up with the subs we will be testing.

I was thinking the same given the specs. I can tell you they sounded great with Mike's 6 MFW's (maybe it was 5 at the time?) and they easily kept up. I can't imagine us going past reference - at that point they should be screaming.
post #184 of 431 Old 12-30-2011, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Guess Im not bring the Epik Legend to sell because it's SOLD!!!
post #185 of 431 Old 12-30-2011, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

I was thinking the same given the specs. I can tell you they sounded great with Mike's 6 MFW's (maybe it was 5 at the time?) and they easily kept up. I can't imagine us going past reference - at that point they should be screaming.

I would not sweat it. I really think they will be fine. 5-6 subs is a good test for any mains and if the held up with them, then I don't see any issue. Looking forward to this very much. First CES, then this great GTG .

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum .
My System

post #186 of 431 Old 12-31-2011, 03:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
What kind of power is available to drive the speakers? I have a set of JBL 4410A studio monitors boxed up that may be able to keep up with the subs?

deeper than the deepest ocean
post #187 of 431 Old 12-31-2011, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone215 View Post

What kind of power is available to drive the speakers? I have a set of JBL 4410A studio monitors boxed up that may be able to keep up with the subs?

I have an integra 40.2 powering my focals. I have no probs with the current setup in terms of keeping up with my multi-sub setup. If others think we need to setup the jbl's we can and I'm sure someone can borrow or come up with a proper multi channel amp to power the jbl's.
post #188 of 431 Old 01-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Liked: 10
ahhh "Get together" ..... I was reading about the sub shootout in KC and was thinking that it would be cool to go to. I would love to hear all those subs. Too bad you guys are so far away from me. I currently have 2 A5-350's and 2 Paradigm 3400's. Im sure there is someone intrested to hear them. Not that it matters since I can't go but these are the subs I would personally like to listen to. SVS PB13 ultra, HSU ULS-15, eD A7-900 and A7-450, and of course the submersive and Epik empire.

Maybe someone would be willing to put together another shootout in New England this summer? hinty hinty...
post #189 of 431 Old 01-04-2012, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post

ahhh "Get together" ..... I was reading about the sub shootout in KC and was thinking that it would be cool to go to. I would love to hear all those subs. Too bad you guys are so far away from me. I currently have 2 A5-350's and 2 Paradigm 3400's. Im sure there is someone intrested to hear them. Not that it matters since I can't go but these are the subs I would personally like to listen to. SVS PB13 ultra, HSU ULS-15, eD A7-900 and A7-450, and of course the submersive and Epik empire.

Maybe someone would be willing to put together another shootout in New England this summer? hinty hinty...

Well, I wouldn't count on another GTG popping up anytime soon. A 6 hour drive is a small price to pay to listen to such awesomeness and hang with some cool guys.

I'd REALLY like to hear an Ultra and A7-450. Hoping someone local comes across this thread before February. Only a month and a week remaining, woot!
post #190 of 431 Old 01-04-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ Yea, I would love to hear a Ultra. It's been around for so long and never had the opportunity to listen to one. I can't believe it's almost here. Can't wait!
post #191 of 431 Old 01-04-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

I am looking forward to this as well. So, if I am reading this right, not counting dual subs. we have the following subs to listen to.
CHT SS 18.T
Passive Cap
dual opposed MFW
SubMersive HP
Epik Dragon
Epik Empire(maybe)
JL fathom(I assume f113)
SVS PC-20
So 8 different models. The only one I have heard is the SubMersive HP so it will be cool to listen to the other ones. Should be a fun day .

My System

post #192 of 431 Old 01-04-2012, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am looking forward to this as well. So, if I am reading this right, not counting dual subs. we have the following subs to listen to.
CHT SS 18.T
Passive Cap
dual opposed MFW
SubMersive HP
Epik Dragon
Epik Empire(maybe)
JL fathom(I assume f113)
SVS PC-20
So 8 different models. The only one I have heard is the SubMersive HP so it will be cool to listen to the other ones. Should be a fun day .

That looks to be the case. There is a chance the Chase subs of mine will be gone by then, but in such case they will likely be replaced. I've been dying to hear the VS18s.
post #193 of 431 Old 01-04-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

No matter what is there, it will be a cool event.

My System

post #194 of 431 Old 01-04-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That looks to be the case. There is a chance the Chase subs of mine will be gone by then, but in such case they will likely be replaced. I've been dying to hear the VS18s.

You should roll with 4 caps and be the biggest rooster on the block. Hehe..the only trade off is your wife will leave you.
post #195 of 431 Old 01-04-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No matter what is there, it will be a cool event.

Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

You should roll with 4 caps and be the biggest rooster on the block. Hehe..the only trade off is your wife will leave you.

As sweet as that would be, there are several reasons that would be a bad idea.

1) I would likely have to sell some of my internal organs to pay for them and another power amp.
2) My house is on the verge of collapsing with 'just' the pair right now, another one or two and I'd literally be performing repairs.
3) I'd become completely deaf by age 40. The effects of lack of volume control on my hearing have become more apparent lately. I've learned to respect these things.
4) As you mentioned, I would immediately become involved in a divorce settlement having to give the wife half of all my belongings. I become houseless, lonely, and poor. Refer to argument #1. Upside: With 4 caps, I would have the foundation for some shelter?
post #196 of 431 Old 01-04-2012, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Allright guys I have a Rythmik E15SE that I can bring to the event. A friend will be coming with (since I need his suv to haul the sub). Can't remember if this was posted but if it is needed I have an omnimic that can be brought along (even though I have not yet even used it).
Steve
post #197 of 431 Old 01-04-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Not that it matters, because I am a cool dude, my handle is MikeDuke Not MikeDude

My System

post #198 of 431 Old 01-04-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by realjetavenger View Post

Allright guys I have a Rythmik E15SE that I can bring to the event. A friend will be coming with (since I need his suv to haul the sub). Can't remember if this was posted but if it is needed I have an omnimic that can be brought along (even though I have not yet even used it).
Steve

Added! Welcome. Pretty sweet to add a Rythmik to the list.

Quote:

Not that it matters, because I am a cool dude, my handle is MikeDuke Not MikeDude

My bad!! Fixed in the attendees list.
post #199 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My bad!! Fixed in the attendees list.

No prob. As long as there is food, I will answer to just about anything.

My System

post #200 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

We have a list of subs that looks pretty good. Do we have a list of movie and or music clips lined up? We should probably have a set list of demo scenes we want to go to at the ready. Maybe HTTYD, WOTW, TRON, TDK? Just as suggestions. Just putting it out there.

My System

post #201 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I am just putting this out there for myself and that's it. The subs that look like they are Current or current enough(close enough to newer models that are out by the same company) are:

JTR Captivator
Seaton SubMersive HP
CHT SS 18T
JL(still don't know if it is a f113 or 112)
Maybe an Epik Empire(any conformation here)?
The SVS 20-32 seems to very close to the current PC12-NSD
Rythmik F15SE

Besides that we have the Twin dual opposed MFW's(don't know if they are custom)
And the Epik Dragon which is no longer made but should be a monster from what I remember reading about it. That seems like a very nice group of current subs plus older subs that were highly regarded. I can't wait for this day to come .

My System

post #202 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

We have a list of subs that looks pretty good. Do we have a list of movie and or music clips lined up? We should probably have a set list of demo scenes we want to go to at the ready. Maybe HTTYD, WOTW, TRON, TDK? Just as suggestions. Just putting it out there.

Mike and I both have the Scuba Steve Blu Ray Demo disc which has all of the popular scenes from Inception, Cloverfield, LOTR, Dark Knight, Star Trek, Iron man, etc. I think these should suffice for movie listening unless someone else has an updated version they could bring along.

As for music, I'll throw a couple of genres out there. Not sure what the collective taste of the group is, but here's what I would want to hear:

Classic Rock
Jazz
Metal/Progressive
Dubstep
Hip Hop (classic)

I personally would like to hear some Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Rammstein, Chemical Brothers, Tool, etc. Suggestions are welcomed.

Any suggestions as to specific songs you guys would like to hear would help as we can start compiling a list.
Quote:

I am just putting this out there for myself and that's it. The subs that look like they are Current or current enough(close enough to newer models that are out by the same company) are
JTR Captivator
Seaton SubMersive HP
CHT SS 18T
JL(still don't know if it is a f113 or 112)
Maybe an Epik Empire(any conformation here)?
The SVS 20-32 seems to very close to the current PC12-NSD
Rythmik F15SE
Besides that we have the Twin dual opposed MFW's(don't know if they are custom)
And the Epik Dragon which is no longer made but should be a monster from what I remember reading. That seems like a very nice group of current subs plus older subs that were highly regarded. I can't wait for this day to come .

Your list looks good.

A few updates - The JL's are the F113's. The CHT set will likely be out of the mix. I don't know regarding the Empire, but I wouldn't count it in as of now. The MFW's are indeed custom built by Mike and he actually has sold quite a few pair of them to other locals.

I'd still like to get an Ultra in attendance.
post #203 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

i'll bring some organ music...

other than that, i'm pretty much open... don't really care... just want to have a good time...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #204 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't know there was a revised Empire? I always thought it was the same one since released. Good list of subs you we got there.
post #205 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Great on the JL. That is one that I really want to hear as well. Good stuff on that Demo disk, For music I can bring some if needed. I have the last two TOOL albums. I can bring some Allman Brothers that will really shine. I can bring some jazz if you like as well. I have some Metallica and Megadeth. And I have plenty of Pink Floyd. I also have some blues I can bring. I will also bring along some Little Feat. I will put some stuff in a bag and we can pick what we want.

My System

post #206 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I'll bring some CD's as well. Most of my stuff is on the aggressive or "energetic" side, so there's a bit of subwoofer exercise to be had.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #207 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

i'll bring some organ music...

other than that, i'm pretty much open... don't really care... just want to have a good time...

Awesome! Would be cool to hear some of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hksvr4 View Post

I didn't know there was a revised Empire? I always thought it was the same one since released. Good list of subs you we got there.

I wasn't aware of any revised version? Unless they switched amp OEMs?

Quote:

Great on the JL. That is one that I really want to hear as well. Good stuff on that Demo disk, For music I can bring some if needed. I have the last two TOOL albums. I can bring some Allman Brothers that will really shine. I can bring some jazz if you like as well. I have some Metallica and Megadeth. And I have plenty of Pink Floyd. I also have some blues I can bring. I will also bring along some Little Feat. I will put some stuff in a bag and we can pick what we want.

Sounds like you've got us mostly covered in the music department. It would be REALLY cool if you could burn a cd (full quality hopefully) with say 15-20 of your favorite tracks so we're not having to switch discs as often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I'll bring some CD's as well. Most of my stuff is on the aggressive or "energetic" side, so there's a bit of subwoofer exercise to be had.

Thanks Jim! What type(s) of music? There are various forms of "aggressive". I'm open to whatever, honestly.
post #208 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
For better or worse, I can bring just about any Blu-Ray rock/metal concert disk out there.

Some thoughts as to what I could bring:

Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize: for my money, Steve Wilson is the best out there for multitrack production and this disk is my reference for all other BR

Rush - Time Machine: Finally, a Rush concert with a good recording of the bass (bass drum is OK, not fantastic)

Return to Forever - Return to Return to Forever - Between Stanley Clarke and Chick Corea, lots of really good bass, and some low organ notes.

Metallica - Une Nuit en Francais - best recorded metal concert I've heard.

Also have some interesting MCH music only DVD-A/SACD including the Wish You Were Here box set, the Quadrophenia box set, the 3 Rush Sector boxes, and Moving Pictures in 5.1.

(Hey, with all the investment in HT, might as well buy content!)

Let me know what the group is interested in and I'll bring em down.
post #209 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I can burn a best of CD and bring it along so we don't have to switch disks.

My System

post #210 of 431 Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

Thanks Jim! What type(s) of music? There are various forms of "aggressive". I'm open to whatever, honestly.

I don't quite get as far as thrash, speed metal, death metal or those genre's, but pretty close. Things like Metallica, Godsmack, Testament, Disturbed, Wasp and my all-time favorite; Black Sabbath. I also tend towards Nirvana, STP, Soundgarden, Motley Crue, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden and other bands of that ilk.

Oddly, I'm also into many of the older classic bands, primarily because I grew up listening to them. Examples include Montrose, ZZ Top, Joan Jett, GNR, Ted Nugent, 38 Special, etc. Of course, I even go further back to Grand Funk, The Who, Steppenwolf, Cream, Ten Years After, UFO, Three Dog Night and... um, I better stop here. I keep going and you'll realize just how old I am.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page