Seeking sound sub advice...pair with CM9's/CMC2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-11-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My first post to this thread...lots of great advice here for sure! I am a relative newbie so be kind, lol...

I am building a home theater (more like an entertainment room) in my basement, framing done, drywall starts first of the year. I am pretty much starting from scratch on my components and am seeking advice on my thinking thus far. My room is roughly 22x25x8 (approx 4500 ft3) with an opening behind the theater seating to stairs. My listening is probably 75% music to 25% movies. A sketchup of my room so far is below....

I am narrowing the LCR speaker selection down to a pair of B&W CM9's and a CMC2 center, however I am looking for a good deal on a used pair of 803D's so those may come into play instead of the CM9's. For rear surrounds I will have a pair of Aria 5's (which I am upgrading from). I am considering an Integra 80.3 processor and have not looked seriously into amps yet...but the Integra 70.1 amp looks interesting for my purpose.

I am budget limited and depending on the mains selection will have somewhat an impact on my sub selection. I would like to stay around $2k but am also looking for dual subs. I have listened to Velodyne DD Plus 12, Paradigm Sub12, BMW ASW12CM, and the JL Audio f112. Given my desire for dual subs I am throwing myself out of the market for most of these....so, after serious reading on this list, I have been considering the SVS SB13-Plus and SVS SB12-NSD (is there an SB12-Plus????). I am thinking sealed cabinet here primarily due to space considerations. Are there other subs I should be considering?

A few more considerations...the floor is tile (can't change this, yet...), but I can put down area rugs as needed. The other thing I am concerned with is the mid-low end of my serious music listening range when using the CM9's. In my opinion the CM9's perform very well (as expected) in the mids and highs, and are nice and warm in the lows, however given the cabinet size and driver size they lack somewhat when things get serious in the low end, perhaps 100hz down so I would like to have a system that can clean this up a bit. The low end definition of the 803's is wonderful and I would not be so concerned.

Thx in advance for any suggestions...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-11-2011, 11:32 AM

Liked: 11
I have the CM9/CMC2 also. So I'm interested in this topic. I currently have the Martin Logan Dynamo, but am looking to upgrade sometime next year. Maybe an HSU or SVS sub?
post #3 of 8 Old 12-11-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

got a few PM's that I should add Rythmik to the list...from reading their website they do seem to be focused on the audiophile side of my brain! and I like that.

post #4 of 8 Old 12-11-2011, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
A pair of SB13 pluses are a fine choice and at 17" cubed, is smaller than the other subs in its class. I looks like the American cherry finish would look nice in your basement as well.

Rythmik are also fine choices and have you also considered the HSU ULS dual drive?

http://hsuresearch.com/products/uls15dualdrive.html
post #5 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

A pair of SB13 pluses are a fine choice and at 17" cubed, is smaller than the other subs in its class. I looks like the American cherry finish would look nice in your basement as well.

Rythmik are also fine choices and have you also considered the HSU ULS dual drive?

http://hsuresearch.com/products/uls15dualdrive.html

I haven't considered any 15 inch subs primarily due to space. I have looked at the SB13's but have not heard them...that's the problem with most of this research is actually finding a retailer locally to hear them in person. Thx

post #6 of 8 Old 12-12-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet View Post

I haven't considered any 15 inch subs primarily due to space. I have looked at the SB13's but have not heard them...that's the problem with most of this research is actually finding a retailer locally to hear them in person. Thx

SVS, HSU, Rythmik and quite a few other highly recommended subs are sold Internet Direct, and there are no retailers for demo.

You can check this thread about people who are willing to demo their subs for potential buyers.

Also, if you live in the state where Internet Direct subs are headquartered, you can sometimes get a demo at their headquarters.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Placed my order for 2 Rythmik F12SE's today. I liked what I read from their site, the reviews I read, and the responses I got from Enrico. I think the 2 sealed 12 inch subs will pair up nicely with the CM9's. Also looks like I will be sourcing these with the Integra separates. I demo's the Integra/CM9 here locally and it will work well for me.

post #8 of 8 Old 12-05-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
i know this thread has been dead for a while but i am very interested in the cm9's but i feel they lack in the mid-bass region and low too but i know a sub can take care of the low low's. Can a sub fill in the midbass punch too

who do i talk to around here about changing my title from "advanced member" to "specialED member"
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page