sub crawl question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 04:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A simple question when preforming this do I place the sub elevated or on the floor of our listening position. Velodyne spl-1200r

Thanks J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRIVER View Post

A simple question when preforming this do I place the sub elevated or on the floor of our listening position. Velodyne spl-1200r

Thanks J

put the sub ear height in your main listening position
post #3 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Sorry to crash the thread with a useless post, but i just wanted to say i have always thought that putting a sub ear height is so freaking ridiculous. i know it has been proven and is a tried and true method of finding teh sweet spot in a room but what happens if i have a sub like say, Paradigm Sub2 or DTS-10, do i lift those and put them ear height also?
post #4 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

Sorry to crash the thread with a useless post, but i just wanted to say i have always thought that putting a sub ear height is so freaking ridiculous. i know it has been proven and is a tried and true method of finding teh sweet spot in a room but what happens if i have a sub like say, Paradigm Sub2 or DTS-10, do i lift those and put them ear height also?

You should try just moving A Sub1 or Sub2 around the room. You have to put plastic sliders under them just to move them.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimwyn View Post

Putting a sub at ear hight is certainly NOT "freaking ridiculous" for the many who can place the sub at ear hight. People who spend thousands on things like the Paradigm Sub 1 or Sub 2 should expect the dealer to help with set-up.

Those who are into really huge subs like the DTS-10 can always post in the DIY section on how to achieve best placement. And, those who go to the trouble to get a DTS-10 are going to be willing to take the extra time and effort to find a good spot.

Also, when you get to the point of getting huge subs, you know that placement is going to be an issue and do the homework needed to see what the placement options really are.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 05:32 PM

Since my options for placement are very limited, a lawn chair/beer in the listening position in front of sub delivers pleasing results. The usual right corner placement is acceptable but, not perfect like this. Taken before floor gets a
do over. REL B3 on a 4" Mapleshade plank w/brass footers. Not an approved
significant other option but, WTF?
LL
post #7 of 13 Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

once you get the sub at ear level should the sub be facing up down left right forward or backward ?

once you find the best spot, which direction should the sub be placed in it's final destination ? facing up down left right forward or backward ?

since we have 2 ears would it be best to use a dual opposed sub at ear level assuming you have a really wide head ?

and during the crawling what should you be listening for and what should be playing over the subwoofer ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^ another set of points i always ask too???
post #9 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 10:25 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

and during the crawling what should you be listening for and what should be playing over the subwoofer?

This is what I wonder about. Also, if the sub is not going to be at ear level in it's final resting spot, does it need to be at ear level at the sub crawl position?
post #10 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by volta View Post

This is what I wonder about. Also, if the sub is not going to be at ear level in it's final resting spot, does it need to be at ear level at the sub crawl position?

If I understand your question, the answer is that most subs end up on the floor and that the crawl test has you put the sub at ear level during the crawl because you want the sub to take your place at the listening position.

If your sub is going to be significantly off the floor, you may not need to crawl, you may do about as well standing up and simply walking around, but the vast majority of subs are on the floor so crawl is the way.

People do not seem to be struggling with the crawl test because the results are not in the micro range, they are in the macro range. But those into nitpicking can go to town.
post #11 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

If I understand your question, the answer is that most subs end up on the floor and that the crawl test has you put the sub at ear level during the crawl because you want the sub to take your place at the listening position.

If your sub is going to be significantly off the floor, you may not need to crawl, you may do about as well simply walking around, but the vast majority of subs are on the floor so crawl is the way.

People do not seem to be struggling with the crawl test because the results are not in the micro range, they are in the macro range. But those into nitpicking can go to town.

Okay that makes sense. I will have to lug the sub up on the couch then. Thanks for your reply.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volta View Post

I will have to lug the sub up on the couch then.

That's as far as I go, plop it on the couch.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

once you get the sub at ear level should the sub be facing up down left right forward or backward ?

once you find the best spot, which direction should the sub be placed in it's final destination ? facing up down left right forward or backward ?

since we have 2 ears would it be best to use a dual opposed sub at ear level assuming you have a really wide head ?

and during the crawling what should you be listening for and what should be playing over the subwoofer ?

Unless your ears are 10 feet apart, arrival time differences are not going to make a difference to what you hear at subwoofer frequencies.

A person could indeed always experiment. Theoretically, at typical sub frequencies, the sub's radiation pattern is close enough to omnidirectional as to not much matter during the crawl, as I understand it. Put it however you can.

Frequent participant Ricci has interesting experiences with subwoofer orientation for measurement purposes with multidriver subs. The differences between mic on the no-speaker side and mic in front of one of the drivers are smaller than "seems" like they should be, but more than zero, so at least at his mic distances, radiation is not perfectly omnidirectional. Of course the fact that the sub is on the ground during testing prevents perfect omnidirectionality, and may even explain some of the difference somehow.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page