Foam surrounds still a problem? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-16-2011, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a BIC 1220 sub and as i took it out of the box i noticed (aside from the very impressive build quality) that it has foam surrounds on the woofer. I know that foam surrounds have a history of disintegrating and/or rotting, but i was wondering if that problem has been fixed by now.

I am a little concerned just by the fact that it is a subwoofer so it will be taking more abuse than let's say a midrangev speaker. I also became more nervous as i thought that this might be the reason for the inferior warranty on the V1220 compared to the F12 (pretty much same except rubber surround and front-firing).

So any input on whether this is still an issue or not would be very helpful. Also I would like to add again that other than the foam surround (which may or may not be a problem) the V1220 is excellently made and i can't wait until i can hook it up (waiting for my Auralex GRAMMA to arrive !!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2011, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by scltngry45 View Post

I just bought a BIC 1220 sub and as i took it out of the box i noticed (aside from the very impressive build quality) that it has foam surrounds on the woofer. I know that foam surrounds have a history of disintegrating and/or rotting, but i was wondering if that problem has been fixed by now.

I am a little concerned just by the fact that it is a subwoofer so it will be taking more abuse than let's say a midrangev speaker. I also became more nervous as i thought that this might be the reason for the inferior warranty on the V1220 compared to the F12 (pretty much same except rubber surround and front-firing).

So any input on whether this is still an issue or not would be very helpful. Also I would like to add again that other than the foam surround (which may or may not be a problem) the V1220 is excellently made and i can't wait until i can hook it up (waiting for my Auralex GRAMMA to arrive !!!)

In general foam is much better treated these days. I don't think it's much of a problem now, of course it depends on the company.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I have a pair of mint condition classic Advent 5002's speaker systems, which can put out some pretty hefty bass on their own. They are over 25 years old and I re-foamed them about three years ago. Even rubber surrounds can dry rot. It all depends on quality. Today's surrounds are even better, due to improvements in material and treatments that extend longevity.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others