Looking for an EXCELLENT Sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I’ve read lalakersfan34’s “when searching” information for a sub. Dated back in 2007, it is still a very good encompassing list of things that need to be considered. Lalakersfan34 if you are still active…much appreciated.

So…I am looking for a subwoofer and wanted to reach out to those in the know of which one would be best for what I am looking for based on “the List” and additional info.

1. My budget: Cheaper the better but will spend up to $600.00 US. Would go to $800.00 if convinced it was worth it.
2. Size requirements/limits: None.
3. Room dimensions: 10’ Wide X 17’ Length X 8’ height = 1,360 ft^3 or cubic foot. The next room to fit this sub will be 6,000 ft^3 or cubic foot. Looking for a single sub for now. Maybe use two when that happens.
4. Primary Uses: 70% movies for home theater, 30% pure unadulterated high volume audio.
5. Listening habits: I want to hear everything in movies as well as audio. If there is bass involved...I want to feel it. High volumes will be listened to about 15% of the time. I have concert DVD’s that need high volume. Led Zep and others require it. It’s just me but why not? You only live once.
6. Appearance: Does not matter. I can skin it if I don’t like it.
7. Timeframe: I’m patient.
8. Down facing or front facing:[/b] I’ve had problems with front facing and prefer downward facing subs. Front facing duals to counteract vibe and distance… I do not have experience in but have heard good things (Epik) and it make sense. It's the Engineer in me. I'm a Mechanical Engineer with a high interest in the dark side (EE).
9. Powered or providing an amp: I have a NAD I can use for my amp. Old school but when it’s powered would imagine it would give a bonner anything powered. Self powered has it's advantages too. Either one.
10. My current speaker system: Two MTM’s for my left and right designed by The Reverend. I built them to his spec’s (parts-express use to provide this information). The sound quality…he’s the Reverend. Incredible sound and incredible design. I also have a center channel built by another extraordinary individual that parts-express does not mention anymore. My two rears are also custom built by another speaker builder aficionado that is also not mentioned anymore on their site. THAT SUCKS! To the Reverend and the designer's who designed the center channel and rears to accompany Doc’s MTM’s…my most gracious EXCELLENCE! Crossovers are perfect! (Soldering not per J-STD-001). What I am looking for is something to complete the system. I am also running a Denon AVR-3806 and Panasonic PT-AX100U.

I've built all of my speakers from speaker designers with their permission. I've seen the data and built them with their instruction. All of the designers are pro's. I decided to buy my sub as I have not seen a sub that I can make with today's technology that would appeal to what I am looking for.

Thanks Guys…and Girls.

Trey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-19-2011, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 452
Luckily your room isn't that big, that will help you get some nice loud and deep bass, especially since your budget isn't huge. At up to $800, my picks would be the Hsu VTF3 mk4, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, SVS PB12-NSD, or Elemental Designs A5-350. Those are all slightly less than $800 shipped (except for the A5 which is 800 shipped exactly), but if you would prefer to spend a bit less, check out the Elemental Designs A3-300, Hsu VTF2 mk4, Rythmik FV12, or Epik Legend. A great deal right now is Outlaw's sale on the LFM-1 Plus, but that sale ends today, so don't wait on that one, it is typically something like 650 shipped, but right now they have it for 499 shipped. But, like I said, last day for that sale. I think within your budget, that might be the best value for you right now.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-20-2011, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have the Outlaw LFM-1 EX but the lower model Plus is on sale at the moment. Check them out you can get it for $499 it's a steal. If you're extremely patient wait for the EX to go on sale again. I got mine for $550 shipped 6 months ago.

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #4 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies. Got sidetracked from my last post almost a year ago and still am searching for a sub. The Outlaw Plus is on sale at $499 shipped. That is where I am leaning and will make a decision before the deal ends.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 09:21 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Duce View Post

5. Listening habits: I want to hear everything in movies as well as audio. If there is bass involved...I want to feel it. High volumes will be listened to about 15% of the time. I have concert DVD’s that need high volume. Led Zep and others require it. It’s just me but why not? You only live once.

8. It's the Engineer in me. I'm a Mechanical Engineer with a high interest in the dark side (EE).

9. ]Powered or providing an amp[/B]: I have a NAD I can use for my amp. Old school but when it’s powered would imagine it would give a bonner anything powered. Self powered has it's advantages too. Either one.

Trey

In the simple, based on your above, your budget isn't even in the ballpark. Just saying.

Based on your above credentials, your stated goal and budget, I don't think you will be made happy due to the limitations your budget puts on the end game. Again, just saying.

One last point, this is not the type of forum where an EE or mechanical engineer can be expected to find bliss. This is the type of forum where an engineer can expect to find frustration, upon frustration, upon frustration. This is the type of forum where the layperson (that's me) finds bliss. Once again, just saying.

Over the time I've been here, I have found subwoofers to be the most vexing and enigmatic speaker purchase one will add to one's Home Theater system.

"Yeah though I walk through the valley of LFE, I fear no room analyzer."

(Just saying, "You have been warned.")

.......................tongue.gif

-
post #6 of 6 Old 11-23-2012, 10:20 AM

Outlaw EX is also on sale, 599 shipped! Patiently waiting...740 with shipping tomorrow.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page