post #61 of 108 Old 01-15-2012, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Try this song, too: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49Uo0V1DNG8

Not my choice in electronica, but it has some ultra low bass, even lower than your sub can go. Good new subwoofer test to feel those very low frequencies. Just don't start it up cranked too loud.

LOL wow that was crazy! it shook my house big time!

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 108 Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 PM

Just curious, but what speakers are you using for left, right and center?
post #63 of 108 Old 01-15-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

LOL wow that was crazy! it shook my house big time!

Mwahahaha

Now you know how well your sub kicks ass

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #64 of 108 Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrooper View Post

Just curious, but what speakers are you using for left, right and center?

this is my current setup:
My 5.1 Surround Sound System
-Polk Monitor70 Series II Fronts
-Polk CS2 Series II Center
-Polk Monitor40 Series II Rear Surrounds
-HSU VTF3-MK3 Subwoofer
-Yamaha RX-A3000 AV Receiver
-Sharp AQUOS 52" 1080p LCD TV

Quote:

Mwahahaha

Now you know how well your sub kicks ass

haha it is certainly very capable...however i think i'm a bass head/sick individual lol let me explain...

this is the current placement (3rd so far) and has proved the BEST sound thus far

so i watched lord of the rings return of the king extended on blu ray last night- it was GREAT but i have some things that are still yet to be desired..not sure if they can be satisfied by tweaking or if adding a second sub or turbo will be the only way to alleviate it...you tell me.

throughout the movie the bass was powerful- no doubt. but there was quite a bit of rumbling going on...not sure if that's just how the soundtrack is or if its my sub not cutting it in certain places- i don't have anything to compare to as I've never watched this on blu ray w/ a sub before. but there was also amazingly clear/crisp THUDS and SLAMS etc. throughout so its not like it was all rumble rumble

my second thing is this: the bass was very localizable- i knew exactly where the sub was (not just b/c i put it there ) but b/c i could HEAR it there...and this kind of bothered me as i would MUCH prefer an experience where I am SURROUNDED by the LFE- my left was lacking the experience my right was attaining.

this comes to the turbo issue and/or a second sub...i've heard SO many differing reports on whether or not the turbo is worth it..some say its AMAZING and some say its not worth it! but i've almost unanimously heard that a second sub is ALWAYS a game changer..thoughts?

i'm honestly already pondering a second vtf3-3 but i might be crazy...no i definitely am! haha i'm not ready to make a 2nd purchase in the near future but i'm definitely on the look out for a deal

the "best" bass experience arguably can be had for under 5k whereas the best stereo speaker experience is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars...this is why going for the best is not out of this world insane...it is actually attainable.

i've had $40k+ Legacy Whispers and krell amps around for a while (thanks to my audiophile freak dad...haha i'm right there with him like father like son lol) and yes they are INCREDIBLE but the price is SO insane...the increase in experience is an arguable upgrade as to whether the 39,500 price increase is sonically worth it for that much-versus my pair of polk monitor 70's i just got shipped for $300 (all 5 speakers for $484) are just GREAT for the price. so all this to say that my "get the best" mentality paired with the attainability of the most bangin bass experience is creepin on me! LOL

thoughts/comments?

Justin

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
post #65 of 108 Old 01-16-2012, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

this is my current setup:
My 5.1 Surround Sound System
-Polk Monitor70 Series II Fronts
-Polk CS2 Series II Center
-Polk Monitor40 Series II Rear Surrounds
-HSU VTF3-MK3 Subwoofer
-Yamaha RX-A3000 AV Receiver
-Sharp AQUOS 52" 1080p LCD TV

haha it is certainly very capable...however i think i'm a bass head/sick individual lol let me explain...

this is the current placement (3rd so far) and has proved the BEST sound thus far

so i watched lord of the rings return of the king extended on blu ray last night- it was GREAT but i have some things that are still yet to be desired..not sure if they can be satisfied by tweaking or if adding a second sub or turbo will be the only way to alleviate it...you tell me.

throughout the movie the bass was powerful- no doubt. but there was quite a bit of rumbling going on...not sure if that's just how the soundtrack is or if its my sub not cutting it in certain places- i don't have anything to compare to as I've never watched this on blu ray w/ a sub before. but there was also amazingly clear/crisp THUDS and SLAMS etc. throughout so its not like it was all rumble rumble

my second thing is this: the bass was very localizable- i knew exactly where the sub was (not just b/c i put it there ) but b/c i could HEAR it there...and this kind of bothered me as i would MUCH prefer an experience where I am SURROUNDED by the LFE- my left was lacking the experience my right was attaining.

this comes to the turbo issue and/or a second sub...i've heard SO many differing reports on whether or not the turbo is worth it..some say its AMAZING and some say its not worth it! but i've almost unanimously heard that a second sub is ALWAYS a game changer..thoughts?

i'm honestly already pondering a second vtf3-3 but i might be crazy...no i definitely am! haha i'm not ready to make a 2nd purchase in the near future but i'm definitely on the look out for a deal

the "best" bass experience arguably can be had for under 5k whereas the best stereo speaker experience is in the hundreds of thousands of dollars...this is why going for the best is not out of this world insane...it is actually attainable.

i've had $40k+ Legacy Whispers and krell amps around for a while (thanks to my audiophile freak dad...haha i'm right there with him like father like son lol) and yes they are INCREDIBLE but the price is SO insane...the increase in experience is an arguable upgrade as to whether the 39,500 price increase is sonically worth it for that much-versus my pair of polk monitor 70's i just got shipped for $300 (all 5 speakers for $484) are just GREAT for the price. so all this to say that my "get the best" mentality paired with the attainability of the most bangin bass experience is creepin on me! LOL

thoughts/comments?

Justin

I too have an Hsu VTF 2.4 sub and an SVS PB10NSD and I can locate the sub quite easily. Not the SVS but the Hsu and it can be very distracting.
post #66 of 108 Old 01-16-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthemidget View Post

I too have an Hsu VTF 2.4 sub and an SVS PB10NSD and I can locate the sub quite easily. Not the SVS but the Hsu and it can be very distracting.

right?!
so the svs isn't huh? i wonder why...they're both ported subs

post #67 of 108 Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

throughout the movie the bass was powerful- no doubt. but there was quite a bit of rumbling going on...not sure if that's just how the soundtrack is or if its my sub not cutting it in certain places-

Do you have it on spikes? I can't tell from the picture. Spikes will make it a little more stable and reduce some vibration.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #68 of 108 Old 01-16-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Do you have it on spikes? I can't tell from the picture. Spikes will make it a little more stable and reduce some vibration.

no its on the stock rubber feet and its on a pretty thick carpet... someone mentioned the auralex gramma

post #69 of 108 Old 01-16-2012, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

no its on the stock rubber feet and its on a pretty thick carpet... someone mentioned the auralex gramma

If it came with spikes (my EX did) put those on before spending money on a Gramma, and even if you get the Gramma, use the spikes

post #70 of 108 Old 01-16-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If it came with spikes (my EX did) put those on before spending money on a Gramma, and even if you get the Gramma, use the spikes

yeah it only came with the rubber feet...so the gramma is a definite improvement if added?

post #71 of 108 Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

yeah it only came with the rubber feet...so the gramma is a definite improvement if added?

I tried a quick Internet search to see if there are spikes for HSU subs. In this thread, someone suggested a thick cushion or pillow under the sub as a test to see if a riser would help. If doesn't work, that doesn't necessarily mean the gramma wouldn't help.

Dr. Hsu also said in that thread that he didn't think spikes would be much better than the feet.

post #72 of 108 Old 01-17-2012, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I tried a quick Internet search to see if there are spikes for HSU subs. In this thread, someone suggested a thick cushion or pillow under the sub as a test to see if a riser would help. If doesn't work, that doesn't necessarily mean the gramma wouldn't help.

Dr. Hsu also said in that thread that he didn't think spikes would be much better than the feet.

cool! i'll try that

i also have the sub on thick carpet, carpet padding, and then concrete flooring. (basement)

thanks

post #73 of 108 Old 01-18-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

so i've spent several hours trying to get levels and its been a total waste of time b/c i'm measuring twice and getting different results each time let alone the tones are giving me a headache and the worst of all is the realization that my room just plain sucks and it is masking the true ability of this new sub of mine...

i moved the sub i went to the back of my room where the stairs end and low and behold that is where all the bass is hiding - and it's escaping up into the ceiling above the stairs to the main level of my house rather than where i want it to go - into my face! lol

at that spot at and around the base of my stairs (which only happens to be ~4.5 feet from where i sit, the bass pressurization is most apparent...

idk what to do or if there is even anything to do

post #74 of 108 Old 01-18-2012, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Try all the different positions you have available and choose the best for you.

What crossovers do you have from your speakers? Have you tried 60hz for the Monitor 70's and CS2? It might clam the localization.

No room is perfect unless you build it to be perfect so you kind of just have to take the best possible solution and wait till you win the lotto and have money to build the perfect theater
post #75 of 108 Old 01-18-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

i moved the sub i went to the back of my room where the stairs end and low and behold that is where all the bass is hiding - and it's escaping up into the ceiling above the stairs to the main level of my house rather than where i want it to go - into my face!

You'll almost always get bass reinforcement if you are standing next to a boundary/wall. Since bass is omnidirectional, it will never really be "in your face".

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #76 of 108 Old 01-18-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Two places that might be worth trying: (1) to the left of your stereo where your power strip is and (2) corner loaded where your media cabinet is to the right of your stereo setup. If (1) doesn't work, (2) might be a pain (you'd have to relocate your media cabinet), but corner loading is often recommended for getting more gain out of the room. In fact, doesn't HSU recommend it in their manual?

post #77 of 108 Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 PM

I moved my VTF3.3+turbo around a few times and I was able to localize it each time. I ended up putting it behind my couch so that the driver is centered and is facing the back of the couch. I can still kind of tell that the sub is to my right (I sit on the left side), but it's much less noticeable now, plus I get the added bonus of getting some extra impact in the bass, since it's close to the couch
post #78 of 108 Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

Try all the different positions you have available and choose the best for you.

What crossovers do you have from your speakers? Have you tried 60hz for the Monitor 70's and CS2? It might clam the localization.

No room is perfect unless you build it to be perfect so you kind of just have to take the best possible solution and wait till you win the lotto and have money to build the perfect theater

i set the crossovers all at 80hz...i'll try lowering the mains to 60 and see and then possibly the center if need be.

lol nicely put...i'll be out of the place i am in a few years so i'll have the ability to switch things up but for now i gotta do what i can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

You'll almost always get bass reinforcement if you are standing next to a boundary/wall. Since bass is omnidirectional, it will never really be "in your face".

only low freq. bass is omnidirectional...most bass in music and movies is absolutely directional...that's why i'm saying that my sub is totally localizable...b/c the majority of frequencies produced by the sub are in the directional range. the spot at the bottom of my stairs the bass is most definitely in my face- that's what i'm trying to achieve at my LP

Quote:

Two places that might be worth trying: (1) to the left of your stereo where your power strip is and (2) corner loaded where your media cabinet is to the right of your stereo setup. If (1) doesn't work, (2) might be a pain (you'd have to relocate your media cabinet), but corner loading is often recommended for getting more gain out of the room. In fact, doesn't HSU recommend it in their manual?

i'm going to do the bass crawl again with the sub EXACTLY in my LP and see again what i can do and where i can put it- i will try all locations again.

re-locating the media cabinet is really bad- lol idt i'm going to do that- its tethered to the wall hahaha

i think they do

Quote:
Originally Posted by intoflatlines View Post

I moved my VTF3.3+turbo around a few times and I was able to localize it each time. I ended up putting it behind my couch so that the driver is centered and is facing the back of the couch. I can still kind of tell that the sub is to my right (I sit on the left side), but it's much less noticeable now, plus I get the added bonus of getting some extra impact in the bass, since it's close to the couch

what crossover do you haver your setup at?
i can't put it behind the couch b/c the couch is up against the wall i can only put it on either side of the couch or elsewhere around the room

post #79 of 108 Old 01-19-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

re-locating the media cabinet is really bad- lol idt i'm going to do that- its tethered to the wall hahaha

I have CD cabinet with over 600, and it's pain to move to take them out and keep them organized . . . but if it was tethered to the wall . . . lol

Still cornered loaded might increase output. And then being located a little further away from you and near the front soundstage should decrease localization.

post #80 of 108 Old 01-19-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I have CD cabinet with over 600, and it's pain to move to take them out and keep them organized . . . but if it was tethered to the wall . . . lol

Still cornered loaded might increase output. And then being located a little further away from you and near the front soundstage should decrease localization.

lol

which way should i face the sub when placing it at my LP for the bass crawl driver facing rear wall, mains, left wall from LP, or right wall from LP

and if that front right corner sounds best, i can put it next to the couch in front of the media cabinet lol

post #81 of 108 Old 01-19-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:

what crossover do you haver your setup at?
i can't put it behind the couch b/c the couch is up against the wall i can only put it on either side of the couch or elsewhere around the room

I keep switching between 100 and 120 Hz. I probably should pick up a HSU midbass thing though
post #82 of 108 Old 01-19-2012, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I keep switching between 100 and 120 Hz. I probably should pick up a HSU midbass thing though

wow that's really high...yeah those are really great i've heard!

post #83 of 108 Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:

wow that's really high...yeah those are really great i've heard!

I think I have it set that high because I like the stronger midbass for music.. If it were strictly a HT setup I could have it set way lower
post #84 of 108 Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I think I have it set that high because I like the stronger midbass for music.. If it were strictly a HT setup I could have it set way lower

cool, ill try that with my setup to see if it sounds good

post #85 of 108 Old 01-22-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:

cool, ill try that with my setup to see if it sounds good

Well the higher crossover won't help with your localization problems, but if you're talking about the location it works for me!
post #86 of 108 Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I was just reading your thread and sorry to hear that your hsu vtf3 is not sounding good, I was also considering buying an outlaw lfm ex or hsu vtf3, but after reading I am kinda skeptical now because whats the point of spending so much and still not being satisfied. Like you I have had the rw-12d and psw505 but wasnt really happy with those because they sounded boomy and not powerful either so how is the vtf3 compared to the rw-12d given that the rw-12d is less than half the price ($299)
post #87 of 108 Old 01-23-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I think you'll be pleased with an outlaw or hsu. Don't let razzy's setup issues scare you away from a great sub (bunch of folks here working on helping him make his sub sound great). My uncle mike bought a rw12 when it was on sale and bought a plus cause I persuaded him . He loves the plus now! (Lfm plus)

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #88 of 108 Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal0101 View Post

I was just reading your thread and sorry to hear that your hsu vtf3 is not sounding good, I was also considering buying an outlaw lfm ex or hsu vtf3, but after reading I am kinda skeptical now because whats the point of spending so much and still not being satisfied. Like you I have had the rw-12d and psw505 but wasnt really happy with those because they sounded boomy and not powerful either so how is the vtf3 compared to the rw-12d given that the rw-12d is less than half the price ($299)

My VTF3 sounds amazing.
post #89 of 108 Old 01-23-2012, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal0101 View Post

hey man thanks for your question....the polk is boomy and a good sub for people who don't really care what the bass sounds like...for 180 you can't complain hahaha but i hated it

i also hated the klipsch, even though it was sightly better than the polk, i still preferred my music w/o the sub and only the mains as it was not tight and able to add to the music, rather it took away from the experience.

right now outlaw has the ex on sale for 550 shipped w/c is a GREAT deal so i would just pick one up (sale ends on the 30th) unless you can get a local deal on a vtf3.3 for less.

honestly dude it all depends on your room...how big is your space?
my room is big and has horrible acoustics so it's masking the ability of the HSU quite dramatically...i've been playing around with placement and have been getting a better sound but for my room I need to add another sub (i'm pretty pissed about this but i have to or i won't be happy w. the setup lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I think you'll be pleased with an outlaw or hsu. Don't let razzy's setup issues scare you away from a great sub (bunch of folks here working on helping him make his sub sound great). My uncle mike bought a rw12 when it was on sale and bought a plus cause I persuaded him . He loves the plus now! (Lfm plus)

i agree...it has a lot to do with the room...mine is just a bad room and also quite large ~4000 cubic/sq feet whatever the measurement is lol

i'm currently taking SPL measurements at various locations and graphing the results...coming down the stretch with dialing in the best spot for it then going to work on the EQ and other settings to get it as good as possible...but i really need two subs for my room no doubt....im a bass freak i can't deny

Quote:

My VTF3 sounds amazing.

great sub but it's capability can easily be masked by a poor placement/setup....well any great sub can sound crappy in a bad spot

post #90 of 108 Old 01-23-2012, 04:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

honestly dude it all depends on your room...how big is your space?
my room is big and has horrible acoustics so it's masking the ability of the HSU quite dramatically...i've been playing around with placement and have been getting a better sound but for my room I need to add another sub (i'm pretty pissed about this but i have to or i won't be happy w. the setup lol)

Did you have any luck just moving it over in front of the media cabinet up close to that wall? Seems like that might could make a good difference.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page