Pretty solid subwoofer deal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 12-23-2011, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This sub won't win any of the MEGA GTG's on AVS but it is very very musical and, if kept within sane limits, is also exremely capable at HT. They look nice, sound great and are currently very cheap comapred to its retail price. Just an FYI............http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...s-vps210-black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 12-23-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Looks nice for the sale price. I would consider this for a 2 channel system
post #3 of 34 Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 361
That looks like a little monster for $350. I agree it would make for an awesome music setup - even in duals for a 2.2. Nice find OP. Do you own one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 34 Old 12-23-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
62 lbs! I would think that the Class D amp contributes little to that weight, it's mostly driver and enclosure.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #5 of 34 Old 12-23-2011, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

That looks like a little monster for $350. I agree it would make for an awesome music setup - even in duals for a 2.2. Nice find OP. Do you own one?

I am about too!! Have one (probably should have gotten 2) coming my way now but I had heard it on a few different occassions and always was impressed. Just could never justify it at its retail price.
post #6 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
A sub with a 10" driver going down to 22Hz? I dont believe the specs
post #7 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 06:41 AM

Liked: 10
It just says frequency range. It doesn't say how flat it is down to 22. Also, I am always sceptical of anything that advertises a Monster Cable "high performance" sub cable right next to it. What a joke!
post #8 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

It just says frequency range. It doesn't say how flat it is down to 22. Also, I am always sceptical of anything that advertises a Monster Cable "high performance" sub cable right next to it. What a joke!

So if monster cable paid you to wear a T-shirt around that said "high performance sub cable" on it you'd say no? gotta pay those bills friend!

About the 10" woofer playing to 22hz.....absolutley can! It's all about how you use it. ever heard of this company? http://www.rel.net/index.htm

This sub for $350, shipped to you btw, is an awesome buy! It's just funny how human nature is, show somewone something potenitally positive and the naysayers just oooze out like clock-work thinking they solved the mystery as to why this isn't a good thing!! Too funny!
post #9 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Liked: 17
BA's website states 1 year warranty on the electronics, 5 year overall. One has to wonder MSRP is $1699 on BA website, yet vanns can sell for $350 shipped? They must be trying to move em out. On other websites they're $600 (sears, one call, amazon)
So basically, if it craps out >12 months, your done.
Or < 12 months, returning a 62# sub to manufacturer. Make sure you keep the box :-)
post #10 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 07:41 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb540 View Post

This sub for $350, shipped to you btw, is an awesome buy! It's just funny how human nature is, show somewone something potenitally positive and the naysayers just oooze out like clock-work thinking they solved the mystery as to why this isn't a good thing!! Too funny!

Hey, I think you should order 2 right now! or maybe 4, one for each corner. Its got a "pass thru" rca.
post #11 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 07:45 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

BA's website states 1 year warranty on the electronics, 5 year overall. One has to wonder MSRP is $1699 on BA website, yet vanns can sell for $350 shipped? They must be trying to move em out. On other websites they're $600 (sears, one call, amazon)

I think you are correct, it must be a clearance of the model. I think it the VS line has been out for a few years so maybe its time for a change. Yeah the 1 year electonics warranty is less than most, but Boston has been in business for a long long time and from what I have gathered over the years they are pretty reliable.
post #12 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:

So if monster cable paid you to wear a T-shirt around that said "high performance sub cable" on it you'd say no? gotta pay those bills friend!

About the 10" woofer playing to 22hz.....absolutley can! It's all about how you use it. ever heard of this company? http://www.rel.net/index.htm

I'm not saying a 10" can't, I'm saying that all they say is the frequency range. Without other parameters the range means nothing. How flat is it at 22 hz.
post #13 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I don't personally know anything about this sub, but one should not automatically dismiss a 10" woofer. For example, the old defunct SVS entry-level sub, the PB10, very legitimately extended down to and below 20hz at levels that could be useful.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...-2nd-unit.html
post #14 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Come on, Rel & BA is not a good comparison. Nor is SVS SB10 in the same league as BA subs. Nothing awesome about BA or Klipsch subs. Is may be ok for $350 but it isnt worth some $1699. One can only console oneself that he or she is getting a $1699 sub for $350 and that it is a great deal. VS series is very expensive and for that kind of money there are much better options. For $1699, one could get both fronts and a good sub (like Klipsch RF82II and Outlaw LFM-1 Plus, Not MSRP, street price)

I have seen the packaging that BA uses. It is not like the kind of packaging Emotiva or other ID sub companies use. All these big internet companies may have good customer service but their warehouses are reckless when it comes to handling packages. They just dont care how expensive the item is. They treat them all the same way. Not to mention the recklessness on top of it by the carriers.

Why are they selling a $1699 sub for $600 or $350. Obviously they have lots of them as they dont sell very well and they want to get rid of them.

The Emotiva Ultra12 was sold out in a few days when it was on sale for $329 shipped. It wasnt the case with the Klipsch RW-12D for $299 at Newegg for the obvious reason that not many people are dying to get the Klipsch sub :-)

I would rather go with the 15" Dayton DIY. The DVC15 driver is still out of stock at Partsexpress.

Anyway....

Happy holidays and good luck with the BA sub and have fun :-)
post #15 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

FWIW, my brother-in-law scours the Boston Acoustic outlet site regularly and has found some pretty incredible deals over the years. He's in the shipping business and suspects that BA occasionally gets in big shipments, lacks sufficient warehouse space, and then needs to move older product asap to make room. He has BA speakers and subs all over his house and he hasn't had any problems with any of the clearance items he's bought over the years. His whole house sounds very good, especially considering what he paid for everything.

Edit: I'd agree this particular sub isn't worth anywhere near MSRP, but it seems like a good value at $350.
post #16 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 300
That's got to be the ugliest sub I've ever seen lol.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #17 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

That's got to be the ugliest sub I've ever seen lol.

Yeah, that is true :-) I guess BA just wanted to maintain the same "flaring out" style for the sub too :-) It is a "Bell sub" :-)

Ever since they discontinued their well acclaimed VR series, BA has gone south. They keep coming out with new models every 2-3 years and nothing seems to have captured much audience. The VS series is just a joke at their retail prices.
post #18 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

"If you're of the mindset that subwoofers are big, ugly and deserve to be hidden behind a chair, check out the VPS 210. It's a looker and is the best example of the appealing design of the Vista [VS] series. This is a subwoofer you'll want to show off. " - Electronic House, August 2008
post #19 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iolmaster View Post

How can you fault Boston Acoustic for that? It isn't their ad, they had nothing at all to do with it.

It's Vann's webstore, and they want to sell you a cable with your sub. Pretty clear cut.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #20 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

The Emotiva Ultra12 was sold out in a few days when it was on sale for $329 shipped. It wasnt the case with the Klipsch RW-12D for $299 at Newegg for the obvious reason that not many people are dying to get the Klipsch sub :-)

I would rather go with the 15" Dayton DIY. The DVC15 driver is still out of stock at Partsexpress.

Anyway....

Happy holidays and good luck with the BA sub and have fun :-)

In all fairness, Emotiva is a pretty small outfit compared to BA.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #21 of 34 Old 12-24-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polizzio View Post

Or < 12 months, returning a 62# sub to manufacturer. Make sure you keep the box :-)

350 at amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acousti...4767709&sr=8-1

edit n/m lol...that's vanns at amazon
post #22 of 34 Old 12-25-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

In all fairness, Emotiva is a pretty small outfit compared to BA.

They are small but not dumb enough to put a 10" sub on the market for $1699. Only an idiot would buy that BA sub at $1699. And why does a 10" sub weigh 62 lb. What do they have inside? A rock? LOL

The outlaw LFM-1 Plus is a 12" ported sub and it is 58 lb! SVS PB12 is some 66lb
Dont tell me BA has better expertise in building subs than SVS or Outlaw or other ID sub companies.

Show me one review of this sub where someone measured it and posted the curve. Then we can discuss if it is even worth $350.
post #23 of 34 Old 12-25-2011, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

They are small but not dumb enough to put a 10" sub on the market for $1699. Only an idiot would buy that BA sub at $1699. And why does a 10" sub weigh 62 lb. What do they have inside? A rock? LOL

The outlaw LFM-1 Plus is a 12" ported sub and it is 58 lb! SVS PB12 is some 66lb
Dont tell me BA has better expertise in building subs than SVS or Outlaw or other ID sub companies.

Show me one review of this sub where someone measured it and posted the curve. Then we can discuss if it is even worth $350.

62 pounds could be the shipping weight. Sometimes they make a mistake and show the shipping weight instead of the net weight, or, it could be something as simple as using 1 inch MDF instead of 3/4 inch MDF. It might also have a bucking magnet which would add to the weight.

Also, since the original MSRP is over $1,500, buyers might very well expect the sub to have some heft.

No professional reviews are going to happen on this sub at this late date. FR is probably good to 30 hz and roll off below that.

From what can be inferred from the specs, I would expect it to perform at least as well as the Emotiva Ultra 12. With 500 watts and the passive radiator, I would say it is a reasonable sub at a low price point.

Also, one member bought a pair of MSRP $2,000 each Jamo D7 subs for $500 each from Vann's and they were pretty good performers. Those sold out quickly.
post #24 of 34 Old 12-25-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I am not looking for a review this late either. If it is a great sub, someone would have reviewed it and also measured it.

There are many such subs like Klipsch RW-12D that was selling for $299, BIC, polk etc. There will be many "no name" subs like those that will come up on sale this time. For some $300-350 they may be ok. But nothing awesome about them.

I have a Sunfire Junior. I have tried the HSU STF2, SVS SB10, Emotiva Ultra12/Ultra10 and I was not impressed by them as they just didnt have a better low end compared to my Sunfire Junior. The Junior's size may be deceiving but its performance is unbelievable for its size.

I will not buy a sub from a manufacturer who does not have the guts to mention the 3db point in the specs or post the curve. Even the $84 Monoprice sub could go down to 30Hz. That doesnt mean it is an awesome deal :-)

For $350 the BA sub may be ok but dont call it an awesome deal. I have a problem when people call these "awesome" deals. I am not going to discourage anymore. Get it and enjoy it and if you can measure it, do post the curve.
post #25 of 34 Old 12-25-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
For those that wanted an Ultra 12 this sub may be worth a look.
post #26 of 34 Old 12-25-2011, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome to the age of Google Mupi.......http://www.hometheater.com/content/b...speaker-system. Seems like it handled its business pretty well.

Like was posted earlier, it doesn't go the lowest or play the loudest but for $350 delivered it's sounds like an AWESOME deal.
post #27 of 34 Old 12-25-2011, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I wouldn't mind this for a music system in a small room. I would look elsewhere though if shopping for a HT sub, even at the heavily discounted price.

post #28 of 34 Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post

I wouldn't mind this for a music system in a small room. I would look elsewhere though if shopping for a HT sub, even at the heavily discounted price.

The cited review doesn't provide enough information on output to get a good grip on its performance. What would you recommend at the same $350 price point that we know will outperform the Boston? Since the Boston has a passive radiator, we know that port noise will not be an issue when pushed. The 500 watt amp also seems real, as the draw shown on the back of the sub is 700 watts max. What other $350 delivered sub is 500 true watts?
post #29 of 34 Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
This seems like a pretty good deal, compared to what is out there at $350. I have no doubt that this will hit over 90db down around 25hz.

post #30 of 34 Old 12-26-2011, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

A sub with a 10" driver going down to 22Hz? I dont believe the specs

SVS PB10NSD does 22hz...

It's also in the same enclosure as their 12" offering so that should be kept in mind.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page