A5-350 vs ULS-15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have 2 A5's. I was thinking about selling them and replacing them with 2 ULS-15's. Can anyone compare these sub's? 100% HT use. Gonna cost me like $1300 to switch. Is it worth it? Thx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 267
What are your goals? Output? Sound quality? As far as output is concerned, I can't imagine it would be a significant upgrade. Even SQ I can't imagine it would be worth the up charge.
post #3 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 AM

Liked: 15
For 100% HT I wouldn't bother, especially if your room is on the larger/more open side. You'll get more output below 18 hz with the ULS but that's about it. You should get more output from 20hz and above with what you have.

If your room is on the smaller side and sealed and you don't think you're using all of the output of the EDs the ULS's might give you a better HT experience, perhaps worth the upgrade.
post #4 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 08:46 AM - Thread Starter

Basic rectangular room 12x17x9 with a staircase in it. Basically sealed however my AV cabinets are in the rear wall behind the listening position and the backs are open to the rest of the basment so not "completely" sealed. I have plenty of output now so thats not an issue. I was wondering if the sound quality would be improved dramatically? I mean I don't dislike the A5's sound but you always read that sealed subs are oftem more acurate and get less distortion. Someone recently offer to buy one of my A5's so I decided to look around and see about any possible upgrades. Im 100% HT BTW. Sounds like what you are saying that the ULS-15's should not be much different from where Im at with the A5's?
post #5 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 452
I think you'll definitely be getting cleaner bass, but not an output increase. For a big step up in output from what you have now you might need three or four ULS subs. That will get you major clean output to below 15 hz.
post #6 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I think you'll definitely be getting cleaner bass, but not an output increase. For a big step up in output from what you have now you might need three or four ULS subs. That will get you major clean output to below 15 hz.

thx for the reply. Im actually not looking for anymore output than what i have now. Just wondered about some cleaner bass. From what I have read anything below 16hz is gonna be difficult to hear unless it's upwards of 100dbs.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Stanley Steamer,

Why don't you come to the GTG...I know it's a 6 hour drive for you but you will be able to buy something after it gets the Sh*te tested out of it.

It was also be nice to include your dual eD subs. I know some might even consider trades. As I have been saying for months that sealed gives you deeper extension and a better SQ in my opinion. I bet my mfw dual opposed might get what your lookin for. Come to the GTG and see for yourself with the hard data to back it up.
post #8 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Stanley Steamer,

Why don't you come to the GTG...I know it's a 6 hour drive for you but you will be able to buy something after it gets the Sh*te tested out of it.

It was also be nice to include your dual eD subs. I know some might even consider trades. As I have been saying for months that sealed gives you deeper extension and a better SQ in my opinion. I bet my mfw dual opposed might get what your lookin for. Come to the GTG and see for yourself with the hard data to back it up.

Whats the "GTG"?
post #9 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 01:22 PM

Liked: 11
GTG = Get ToGether. Usually a bunch of guys testing different subs or speakers. Beer and food is usually involved.
post #10 of 39 Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Honestly, if you're happy with output, the best thing you can do IMO to improve SQ is to strive for a flat frequency response. This will entail plotting your FR with REW, omnimic, or spl meter, test tones and excel. Then either use audyssey or some other form of eq to flatten your response. Room treatments will also potentially dramatically improve your SQ.

The above take a lot of time, but are likely cheaper and more effective at improving SQ than upgrading your subs....
post #11 of 39 Old 01-02-2012, 02:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Honestly, if you're happy with output, the best thing you can do IMO to improve SQ is to strive for a flat frequency response. This will entail plotting your FR with REW, omnimic, or spl meter, test tones and excel. Then either use audyssey or some other form of eq to flatten your response. Room treatments will also potentially dramatically improve your SQ.

The above take a lot of time, but are likely cheaper and more effective at improving SQ than upgrading your subs....

I would hohestly love to be able to do that kind of stuff. I just don't have the first god damn clue on how to do it. Can you offer any assistance in that area? My AVR is an onkyo 3008 so I have audyssey multieq XT32.
post #12 of 39 Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid$team View Post

I would hohestly love to be able to do that kind of stuff. I just don't have the first god damn clue on how to do it. Can you offer any assistance in that area? My AVR is an onkyo 3008 so I have audyssey multieq XT32.

Are you running XT32 now with them?
post #13 of 39 Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

nope. I just got the 3008 and have yet to run audyssey. previsouly I was running multieq XT only.
post #14 of 39 Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

nope. I just got the 3008 and have yet to run audyssey. previsouly I was running multieq XT only.

Well, that's good that you ran it with Audyssey. You may get some additional improvement once you run it with XT32.

However, until you know what you frequency response is for your room, swapping out subs may not solve the problem!

My suggestion would be to buy ominimic from parts-express.com (now $298). There is a whole thread dedicated to it on the DIY forum. This will tell you what your FR is. Once you determine that, you can then make adjustments with your sub placement, crossover point, phase, etc. to help flatten our problem areas in you FR. Once you've got it flat, you should notice much more detail in everything that you listen to.
post #15 of 39 Old 01-02-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
No way you should upgrade your subs for $1,300 since you are 100% HT. After all, exactly what does an explosion sound like? Or all the other sound effects that are man-made?

If you were 50/50 HT and Music, then it might make sense to spend $1,300 to upgrade and even then you would probably be better off with a couple subs from Rythmik since they make arguably the cleanest subs short of the Submersive.

Save your money for a really big upgrade, which might not even be speakers of any kind. Look at your entire system and decide where you can gain the most impact. For example, if you are not using a front projector, you might start saving for a 70 or 80 inch Sharp LCD TV. I saw the entry level 70 inch Sharp LCD TV for $1,950 not long ago. A 70 inch TV could provide a huge amount of impact in your TV viewing.
post #16 of 39 Old 01-02-2012, 05:09 PM

Why does it have to be an LCD he saves for? why not a plasma? CES is right around the corner and I hear Panasonic will have a 70" plasma this year. Plus plasma is cheaper than LCD in bigger sizes, better blacks, better motion handling, better off angle viewing.
post #17 of 39 Old 01-02-2012, 06:21 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Why does it have to be an LCD he saves for? why not a plasma? CES is right around the corner and I hear Panasonic will have a 70" plasma this year. Plus plasma is cheaper than LCD in bigger sizes, better blacks, better motion handling, better off angle viewing.

Plasma rocks.
I agree with the other recommendations. Explore placement, equalization, and treatments before changing subs.
post #18 of 39 Old 01-02-2012, 06:46 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisdamani View Post

Plasma rocks.
I agree with the other recommendations. Explore placement, equalization, and treatments before changing subs.

I have an A5-350 in my bedroom and sealed subs in my basement and I like sealed subs better. The A5 can get boomy easily but, that is usually placement or levels set to high.
post #19 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thx for the advice everyone. I'll add a couple bits of info about my HT. I have an Epson 8500 UB and a wall mounted screen. I seriously thought about getting an actual TV in there at some point. Selling the projector ect. The only problem is that 70 inch is toosmall. I would like an 80 at least and right now those are not cost effective. I actually have a 65 inch lcd and a 50 inch plasma in other rooms. I like the plasma much more. I would love to be able to eq my subs/room. Just don't know how.
post #20 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter

So I guess I have decided to keep the A5's. Im thinking I could drop the $1300 on something else and get more bang for my buck. What I would like to do next (before spending anymore money) is get my subs dialed in. Can someone tell me where to start? I mean from step 1... Thx
post #21 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:

So I guess I have decided to keep the A5's. Im thinking I could drop the $1300 on something else and get more bang for my buck. What I would like to do next (before spending anymore money) is get my subs dialed in. Can someone tell me where to start? I mean from step 1... Thx

I would start HERE. Read up on REW, DL it, and try it out. Ask questions here or at the HT shack.
post #22 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 267
There is always the (easy, but much more expensive) option to pick up an AutoEQ sub processor like the SVS EQ1. These typically run about 550-600 used as they aren't available new anymore. However, they do work pretty well and are fairly simple.

Edit - Just saw that your receiver has XT32. This should do a fairly good job of the EQ'ing that the SVS product would do. I agree I would start with REW sweeps to see how close you are.
post #23 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

There is always the (easy, but much more expensive) option to pick up an AutoEQ sub processor like the SVS EQ1. These typically run about 550-600 used as they aren't available new anymore. However, they do work pretty well and are fairly simple.

Edit - Just saw that your receiver has XT32. This should do a fairly good job of the EQ'ing that the SVS product would do. I agree I would start with REW sweeps to see how close you are.

Not sure I understand what I'm would use that program for? You said "see how close you are"..... To what? I'm assuming I would buy a mic and DL rew and then measure test tones right? But how would I make changes to the sub to achieve better results? Can those changes be made on xt32?
post #24 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

BTW sorry for being so uninformed on the subject and thx for your help.
post #25 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 AM

OK it would show you the frequency response (FR) of your sub. It would plot a graph showing if you have peaks or nulls in certain frequencies that you could then use the Eq to smooth out. So say it shows a peak at 25hz but a null at 30hz you would want to lower the output of the 25hz frequency and raise the output of the 30hz frequency to get a flat response. I hope I explained that right.
post #26 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Multeq xt32 has the same subwoofer eq as the svs eq1. The eq1 is a standalone overpriced unit. You should be fine with what you have.
post #27 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would start HERE. Read up on REW, DL it, and try it out. Ask questions here or at the HT shack.

Do yourself a favor and bypass rew and purchase the omnimic. If you don't have an spl meter and the right soundcard, you'll have to buy those and configure it all together.

Omnimic will get you what you need and is much easier to setup (its all there in the box) and use imo.

Don't get me wrong, rew is still king regarding its capability. There's just a big learning curve when compared to omnimic. Omnimic will get you what you're looking for wrt measurements.
post #28 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominguez1 View Post

Do yourself a favor and bypass rew and purchase the omnimic. If you don't have an spl meter and the right soundcard, you'll have to buy those and configure it all together.

Omnimic will get you what you need and is much easier to setup (its all there in the box) and use imo.

Don't get me wrong, rew is still king regarding its capability. There's just a big learning curve when compared to omnimic. Omnimic will get you what you're looking for wrt measurements.

Wow that looks like it will be on my wish list! Thanks Dominguez I never really looked into what omnimic can do until now.
post #29 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:

Please send me a Private Message when one can buy a 70 inch Panasonic plasma TV for $1,950.

It is also worth noting that the 85 inch Panasonic plasma is $30,000 right now while the 80 inch Sharp LCD is $4,300 right now. Please send me another Private Message when one can buy a 80 inch Panasonic plasma for $4,300.

I am open to both plasma and LCD, but I have to disagree with your characterization that plasma is cheaper than LCD in the really big sizes.
post #30 of 39 Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Please send me a Private Message when one can buy a 70 inch Panasonic plasma TV for $1,950.

It is also worth noting that the 85 inch Panasonic plasma is $30,000 right now while the 80 inch Sharp LCD is $4,300 right now. Please send me another Private Message when one can buy a 80 inch Panasonic plasma for $4,300.

I am open to both plasma and LCD, but I have to disagree with your characterization that plasma is cheaper than LCD in the really big sizes.

Well it certainly wouldnt be an entry level but the Pannys will have a 70" in the VT series. The 65" VT is going for under $2600 right now so I would guess that a top of the line VT 70" would be maybe a little more and well worth the extra over an entry level Sharp. Is that 80" Sharp even 3D? You also seem to be hung up on the price of the 85" Panny. I dont see what the price of a PROFESSIONAL MONITOR has to do with consumer Tv's.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page