Subwoofer not working properly - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-01-2012, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone, my system used to work perfectly fine months and months ago. A while back I turned my subwoofer (The Speaker Company ASW-10) off (via the switch on the back) and it has been off since. Last night I decided to turn it back on and it worked fine for about 15-20 seconds then just stopped working. Keep in mind NO changes were made to any of the connections since it had last worked perfectly fine.

I tried resetting the receiver's (Pioneer VSX-1019) settings and reran the MCACC and when it got to the sub I got a tiny, tiny little noise but then the receiver gave the message that volume on the sub is too low and to turn it up. Of course I had already tried turning up the volume and adjusting the crossover knob with no success. The most I have been able to get out of the sub is to put my hand on the actual woofer underneath and feel a very slight vibration with the volume turned up all the way (it could not be heard at all).

I tried turning the sub on and disconnecting the cable from the back of the receiver and touching the tip of to get a "boom" but it is dead silent. I used the red of a component cable to hook the sub up to an HDDVD player I have and played a CD. I actually got sound out of it but even at the highest volume it wasn't very loud. When I unplugged the cable from the receiver, I touched the end and noticed I did get some sound, not very loud though.

I'm really confused as to why I'm getting some sound, sometimes... I should mention that front and rear speakers are set to "small" and the sub is enabled in the receiver's menu. I posted this in the official AVS thread for my receiver and one very helpful member thinks there is a problem with the sub and suggested I post here as well.

I really just want to get this working properly again, if anyone has any suggestions I would really, really appreciate it. If you need any further information from me please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 03:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
"I actually got sound out of it but even at the highest volume it wasn't very loud."
It is likely that your subwooer amp is (almost) dead.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler View Post

"I actually got sound out of it but even at the highest volume it wasn't very loud."
It is likely that your subwooer amp is (almost) dead.

Thanks, wwinkler. I'm a novice to these things, I assume that's a part within the sub box itself? Is this replaceable or am I better off buying a new sub?
Old 01-03-2012, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
To fix it, you would like need the service manual. Sometimes, if you Google enough you will locate a site that has the manual (many cost $15-$25).

For the actual fix, you would need a volt/ohm meter, soldering iron, and a solder-removing tool.

Many repair shops charge $200-$300+ for the repair and only guarantee the work for 30-90 days.

A very few individuals have been lucky in that they had an obviously bulging capacitor that needed to be replaced. In that situation, you are still better off replacing all the capacitors (but often do not need the service manual for the repair).

In the under $300 range, individuals like the BIC PL-200 subwoofer. You need to check its thread for how to get the best price.

"Is this replaceable". It is straightforward to take out the subwoofer plate amplifier. If you have an exact-size replacement amplifier, then it is straightforward. If you cannot get an exact-size replacement amplifier, then you need to do cutting-and-pasting that may not be very straightforward. Many proprietary subwoofer amplifiers have a built-in equalization curve that compensates for some of the frequency-sound-level characteristics. A generic amp from Parts Express or OAudio would not have the equalization. The OAudio unit does have a parametric equalizer.