Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,

I want to purchase a nice sub to complete my system. Currently I dont have a sub but my speakers have built in subwoofers. i have 2 definitive 7000sc towers that have 1 14" powered woofer in each tower for fronts , 7001sc for rears (these have 10 inch powered subs in each) and a clr 3000 center channel that has a powered 10 inch woofer aswell.

The ROOM
my room im using is 9 ft by 9ft by 8ft high ceiling give or take some inches. It has 2 small windows that hopefully wont BREAK with all that LFE, lol
This room is also semi sealed. It has a door that can be closed unlike my old space

I might not need a sub in such a small room size with what i have now but i have to add a lfe channel to my editing progects. its a must.

which outta these 2 subs will work for me better? 1 epik sealed or one craigsub ss-18.1 sealed
i was thinking that the 18 incher would get down lower and i already have 2 14" inchers in the towers that could handle 30-60hz
Im guessing sealed is best for sound quality? if you think i should a ported within the pricerange , i just dont want the sub to be sloppy if that characteristic still applies to ported subwoofers of this generation.

any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Chris

- Independent Dreams - IDStudios
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Since it looks like you already have pretty good mid-bass and upper-bass, which is where the Empire shines, I would go with the CHT and cross it over a bit lower than usual, like 50 or 60 hz. That way there is even less chances of localization than usual.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
18.1!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #4 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddgsx View Post

I want to purchase a nice sub to complete my system. Currently I dont have a sub but my speakers have built in subwoofers. i have 2 definitive 7000sc towers that have 1 14" powered woofer in each tower for fronts , 7001sc for rears (these have 10 inch powered subs in each) and a clr 3000 center channel that has a powered 10 inch woofer aswell.

The ROOM
my room im using is 9 ft by 9ft by 8ft high ceiling give or take some inches. It has 2 small windows that hopefully wont BREAK with all that LFE, lol
This room is also semi sealed. It has a door that can be closed unlike my old space

So let me see if I have this straight; your fronts each have a 14" sub, your rears both have 10" subs and even your center has a 10" woofer? And now you want to add an 18" subwoofer -- on top of all those other subs -- to a room that measures a mere 650 CF?! Good luck with that! I think it's fair to assume your windows are a goner. What exactly are you editing?

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #5 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

18.1!

^^^^^^
post #6 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

What exactly are you editing?

His hearing! LOL

post #7 of 7 Old 01-03-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
With your nearly perfect cube space you will have issues with room modes. Dual subs would help but would be overkill even if you could find some space for a second one. An SS 18.1, Empire or ULS-15 would pressurize that space nicely. Since your "satellites" are very capable below 80 hz I'd probably get a ULS-15 and cross it over at whatever frequency mitigates the modes best.
Good luck and keep us updated.
Tim
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page