Subsonic Frequency Filter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I run my VTF-15H with one port open and EQ2.

If the port is tuned to 16Hz, which frequency should I put my subsonic filter on with my SMS-1? What about when it is tuned to 22Hz? Is there a guideline that I should follow? Also, which slope do you recommend?

All this is mostly to avoid port chuffing when played loud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN: le_gros_thon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 08:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post

If the port is tuned to 16Hz, which frequency should I put my subsonic filter on with my SMS-1? What about when it is tuned to 22Hz? Is there a guideline that I should follow? Also, which slope do you recommend?

The sub already has a built in high pass that changes depending on the EQ mode. What material are you getting port chuffing? Have you tried running with both ports open? That will give you double the port area and should minimize any port chuffing.

-Mike
post #3 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

I get port chuffing on heavy bass material like Inception and Polar Express, such as the train scene at the beginning. I am getting the chuffing with 2 ports open.

Pete at HSU told me to run it one port plugged and EQ2 to minimize the port noise. He also told me that a subsonic filter could help but didn't tell me which frequency to use.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:

I get port chuffing on heavy bass material like Inception and Polar Express, such as the train scene at the beginning. I am getting the chuffing with 2 ports open.

Pete at HSU told me to run it one port plugged and EQ2 to minimize the port noise. He also told me that a subsonic filter could help but didn't tell me which frequency to use.

IMO this solution was more about controlling driver excursion down low.

I would not add a subsonic filter to a commercial sub. Defeats the purpose of overpaying if you have to further engineer to overcome something as fundamental as port noise.

What Pete prbably didnt tell you was it wasnt port noise heard. Every sub has a limit and youve probably reached it.

The only subsonic filter you need is your right hand on the gain knob. Turn counter clockwise until bad sounds stop.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

IMO this solution was more about controlling driver excursion down low.

I would not add a subsonic filter to a commercial sub. Defeats the purpose of overpaying if you have to further engineer to overcome something as fundamental as port noise.

What Pete prbably didnt tell you was it wasnt port noise heard. Every sub has a limit and youve probably reached it.

The only subsonic filter you need is your right hand on the gain knob. Turn counter clockwise until bad sounds stop.

That makes sense. It looks more like over excursion than port noise. But my volume knob is only at 10 o'clock and my receiver LFE level set at 0dB.

I tried different locations. Of course the corner would provide more oomph but it would make the response graph looks really bad...

post #6 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

That makes sense. It looks more like over excursion than port noise. But my volume knob is only at 10 o'clock and my receiver LFE level set at 0dB.

I tried different locations. Of course the corner would provide more oomph but it would make the response graph looks really bad...

where your volume knob is set means virtually nothing about how close you are to max power. Depends on too many variables. Varies from sub to sub, might vary between 2 of the exact same model. If it's overdriving, it's overdriving, and you need to turn it down.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Are you using the SMS-1 to boost the lower frequencies?
post #8 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post

I totally missed he was using an SMS-1. Set the high pass At the tuning frequency. If not the SMS may actually be boosting below tuning for a flat target which is the opposite of the built in highpass on the amp. You may be risking damage as theres no protection for your driver below tuning other than amp limiting and if you boost through that well, bad things happen.

How low does an SMS go?

You may be able to set the high pass a bit below tuning without problems but id start at the tuning frequency and see how it behaves.
post #9 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post

No, I'm not using any boost at all at any frequency. I only cut through the peaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi View Post

I totally missed he was using an SMS-1. Set the high pass At the tuning frequency. If not the SMS may actually be boosting below tuning for a flat target which is the opposite of the built in highpass on the amp. You may be risking damage as theres no protection for your driver below tuning other than amp limiting and if you boost through that well, bad things happen.

How low does an SMS go?

You may be able to set the high pass a bit below tuning without problems but id start at the tuning frequency and see how it behaves.

I run the SMS-1 in manual mode and don't use any boost at all. I think it is more a driver excursion problem than anything else (unless someone has another hypotheses). I'll try to play around with some different HPFs and see if it improves anything.

post #10 of 11 Old 01-04-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

I know that the HPF in the SMS-1 rolls off quicker than the HPF in the 15H for whatever reason. My subs rolloff at 13hz with SMS set at 10Hz, If I set the the SMS HPF at 15hz it drops long before 13hz.
I haven't checked this with REW however just via SMS-1. I set my SMS-1 t10hz and let the sub deal with the filtering.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-05-2012, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

I know that the HPF in the SMS-1 rolls off quicker than the HPF in the 15H for whatever reason. My subs rolloff at 13hz with SMS set at 10Hz, If I set the the SMS HPF at 15hz it drops long before 13hz.
I haven't checked this with REW however just via SMS-1. I set my SMS-1 t10hz and let the sub deal with the filtering.

This is pretty typical for a HP.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page