AVS Forum banner

In a *.2 system. How important is it for the subs to be matched...

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Auditor55 
#1 ·
Or is it ok to run two different breed of subs as long as they are rated similarly?

I currently have a ML setup with a Depth i, but am looking to move to a dual sub scenario and wondered if there would be a better more economical solution than going with another Depth i.

My receiver uses XT32 so I am ASS-U-Ming that would help blend the two.

TIA

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm /forum/post/21446396

Or is it ok to run two different breed of subs as long as they are rated similarly?

I currently have a ML setup with a Depth i, but am looking to move to a dual sub scenario and wondered if there would be a better more economical solution than going with another Depth i.

TIA

Rated similarly by who, the manufacturers? Ideally the subs should be the same, but some people have no problems with using different subs.

#3 ·
I would recommend 2 identical subs.......If you can't or don't want to do that then at least make sure the specs are the same and that they are either both sealed, both ported, or whatever.

#4 ·
I'm currently using 2 different subs and I'm fine with it. (12inch vs 10inch) But still the weaker sub can handicap the better sub!

#5 ·
You should look at the HSU ULS-15 or if you need something smaller, look at the SVS SB-13 Plus. Either one should keep up with you M-L Depth i.

#6 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas. I have some ideas to ponder now.

#9 ·
Another option:

Get two additional small subs to work with the ML sub. Allows for symmetry both visually and acoustically. Two Epik Legends or two VTF- MK 4's for example, would be a pretty economical purchase and would sound absolutely fantastic.

I've tried quite a few different sub positions/configurations, and I must say that 3 subs (2 smaller subs handling front soundstage and larger sub placed nearfield handling 50hz and under) is my personal favorite. as always, ymmv

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru /forum/post/0

I would recommend 2 identical subs.......If you can't or don't want to do that then at least make sure the specs are the same and that they are either both sealed, both ported, or whatever.

+1

Your best bet would be to sell the Depth and get dual identical subs from an internet direct company like the Epik or Hsu previously mentioned. ML makes some very nice speakers. Their subs are pretty decent but nowhere near the performance per dollar of the ID sub companies. I auditioned a Depth several years ago for a bedroom set up. Nice for music but not a lot of output and limited extension for movies.

If you like sealed subs you can get a pair of Epik Legends for a little more than you could sell the Depth on Audiogon. It would be a dramatic upgrade for both music and movies.

Good luck in your quest for better bass.

Tim

#11 ·
Thanks again for the suggestions. I was very close to pulling the trigger on dual Rythmik F12's but the thought of the hassle of selling my depth i kept me from pulling the trigger. Plus the wife approves of the look of the depth would like the symmetry. She preferred another depth if I had to have another sub.

So I just pulled the trigger on another very lightly used Depth i. It should be here a week from Monday. I can't wait for it to get here and totally expect it to make my system sound that much better.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltalkm /forum/post/21446396

TIA

If you are using the Earl Geddes approach to set up of multiple subs, it doesn't really matter what brand they are.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.