pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by uisynot View Post

So according to Nousaine's List, the PSW505 is better than the Supercube 1? Can that be right? I currently have the PSW505 and was wondering if it would be an upgrade... However, Looking at the list, it doesnt seem like it would be much different.

12" driver vs 10" and 2 radiators, and the Polk's volume is about 50% or more larger than the SCI.

Find another sub at 14" cubed that can perform at the same level or outperform the SCI at $500. The PB12NSD likely would, but as another member pointed out it's already almost 40% higher in price, and marginally bigger.

Anyhow, it's a moot point as the sub is sold.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 01-08-2012, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

So according to Nousaine's List, the PSW505 is better than the Supercube 1? Can that be right? I currently have the PSW505 and was wondering if it would be an upgrade... However, Looking at the list, it doesnt seem like it would be much different.

I don't think list gives subjective opinions like "better" or "worse" sub.
post #33 of 43 Old 01-08-2012, 07:26 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla83 View Post

Hey - no disrespect intended with my prior statement, just my observations. I recently bought and sold my trinity in the last few months and was amazed and how low they could be had. I think at 2k for the pair you would have a good deal of interest, they are fine subwoofers. Best of luck.

No worries! I am glad I found this thread so I know to lower my price a bit. Just tough for me as one if fairly new. I appreciate you thougts. I was initially thinking of adding a Trinity to my 2 references, but I think multiple Submersives are in my future. How did you like your Trinity?

post #34 of 43 Old 01-08-2012, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post

I was initially thinking of adding a Trinity to my 2 references, but I think multiple Submersives are in my future. How did you like your Trinity?

Definitely go with multiple Submersives. I recently did and I can't tell you how glad I am.
Tim
post #35 of 43 Old 01-08-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh7 View Post

No worries! I am glad I found this thread so I know to lower my price a bit. Just tough for me as one if fairly new. I appreciate you thougts. I was initially thinking of adding a Trinity to my 2 references, but I think multiple Submersives are in my future. How did you like your Trinity?

You would be wise to check what the fair market value is for your Reference Cubes, don't low ball them if you don't have to or because some posters don't like them.

I would check Ebay, Audiogon, Craiglist, etc. to what others are selling DT References or for similiar type subs and go from there.

Some around he seem to have such dislike for DT subs that you would have pratically give them away.
post #36 of 43 Old 01-08-2012, 09:24 AM

One thing about Audiogon, in my opinion, some of those folks do over price their stuff.
post #37 of 43 Old 01-10-2012, 11:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I own two SC1's and a Prosub 1000 and Prosub 800 along with SVSNSD 12/2 and wouldn't consider using any of the DT subs as anything but just mid bass subs otherwise they distort and sound bloated set to Large. Now if using as a mid bass your not going to notice a huge change between the Prosub and SC1 till you crank the volume but if your hear at AVS then chances are your system is well calibrated anyway and your not playing at ungodly levels but since the SC1 is now just slightly higher than the Prosub, go with the SC1
post #38 of 43 Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post

The OP can get servo controlled, piano black finish, smallish subs that can reach at least down to 20 Hz or low 20's, that will out-perform the SC 1 and cost about $650-700. Just have to look at other companies

That statement is easy to make if you haven't been in the market for one... the small subs never make the comparison lists, and thus it's hard to get real data on them. I, for one, have been hunting for a sub under 13" cube that can get the job done... and although I have owned a fathom, and a dd18, I have a need now for a small sub.

I've looked at the rhythmik subs on the ascend website, and they seem like the only small'ish quality option... however, even the 12" version is 15.75" x 15.75" x 17" (18-1/2" D with grille)... the 15" being even bigger than that.

Anyone else out there found a very small sub that does the job?

Don't want to DIY

Thanks in advance

Z
post #39 of 43 Old 04-06-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:

Better is a subjective term.
post #40 of 43 Old 04-06-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkaudio View Post

I've looked at the rhythmik subs on the ascend website, and they seem like the only small'ish quality option... however, even the 12" version is 15.75" x 15.75" x 17" (18-1/2" D with grille)... the 15" being even bigger than that.

Anyone else out there found a very small sub that does the job?

Don't want to DIY

I have a Supercube Reference. It's less than 17" x 17" x 17." It's got a HUGE WAF and great output for such a small form factor. The Fathom would beat it in all aspects but the F113 retails for about twice what you can get the Supercube Reference for.
post #41 of 43 Old 01-27-2013, 01:53 AM

Liked: 10
Nousaines numbers are skewed. I had the PSW 505 for 2 years before I bought a Supercube.
There is no comparison. The Definitive Sub puts the smackdown on the Polk sub and then rips it's head off and craps down it's throat.
It also smokes the SVS sealed cube sub so don't get caught up in the I.D. fanboy hype.
If you want more bass than a small cube can deliver, you'll need a much larger cabinet at the very least and it you want truly prodigious bass,
you'll need to spend more money and start looking at Fathoms or the like.
The Supercubes and Sunfires are tremendous subs for their size regardless of what anyone else on this site would like to have you believe.
Not everyone wants a big ass ugly box hogging up precious space in their household.
post #42 of 43 Old 01-27-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejmic View Post

Nousaines numbers are skewed. I had the PSW 505 for 2 years before I bought a Supercube.
There is no comparison. The Definitive Sub puts the smackdown on the Polk sub and then rips it's head off and craps down it's throat.
It also smokes the SVS sealed cube sub
At what frequencies? Show us your measured response and maximum output charts, please. If you don't have any then your conclusions are totally subjective, and are of little value.
The fact of the matter is that if you want a sub to sound louder you must configure it so that it doesn't go as low. If you configure it to go lower it won't sound as loud. If you want it to go lower and louder at the same time you can do so, by making it larger, or by making it able to handle a lot more power, as in at least four times as much. With similar box sizes and power you can go lower, or you can go louder, but you can't do both.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #43 of 43 Old 03-06-2013, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just wanted to chime in . I owned two 505 s corner loaded for a few years and then found a reference on Craig's for 535 in mint cond. For that price it was a no brainer. I can't do a direct a b between the two subs since the reference is in a different house but the room is twice as big and it smokes the two 505s. It does dig deep also and has a much cleaner sound through the freq range. It is much more musical/tighter than the Polks to me.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers