BIC America F12 to replace Klipsch KSW 100? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter
pfp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently have a Klipsch KSW 100 in my dedicated HT room. I've been very happy with this sub since the day I purchased it at least 8+ years ago.

The only reason I'd replace it is because I just setup a HT for my dad and I'm considering giving it to my him. I was all set to purchase the Pioneer SW-8 ($100) which he said he liked but I'm just not convinced it's any good and I know he likes my sub. I considered getting another KSW100 from ebay for him and then I started thinking about giving him mine and purchasing a new sub for me.

So I'm starting with a budget of $100 which I realize will need go up. From my reading the best bet is probably the HSU STF2 but I'm really not ready to spend $400 (delivered). I'd rather buy my dad the $100 Pioneer and keep my Klipsch than spend that much.

I read through a large portion of the BIC America F12 sub anyone? thread and I think this may be a good fit for me. I understand some people don't care for it, especially for music but I'd use it almost exclusively for movies.

If I like this KSW100 should I like the F12? Would the F12 be considered an upgrade from the KSW100?

Other audio equipment:
Onkyo RC270
Polk RT8 (front)
Polk CS400i (center)
Polk RTi4 (side and rear)

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-08-2012, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfp View Post

I currently have a Klipsch KSW 100 in my dedicated HT room. I've been very happy with this sub since the day I purchased it at least 8+ years ago.

The only reason I'd replace it is because I just setup a HT for my dad and I'm considering giving it to my him. I was all set to purchase the Pioneer SW-8 ($100) which he said he liked but I'm just not convinced it's any good and I know he likes my sub. I considered getting another KSW100 from ebay for him and then I started thinking about giving him mine and purchasing a new sub for me.

So I'm starting with a budget of $100 which I realize will need go up. From my reading the best bet is probably the HSU STF2 but I'm really not ready to spend $400 (delivered). I'd rather buy my dad the $100 Pioneer and keep my Klipsch than spend that much.

I read through a large portion of the BIC America F12 sub anyone? thread and I think this may be a good fit for me. I understand some people don't care for it, especially for music but I'd use it almost exclusively for movies.

If I like this KSW100 should I like the F12? Would the F12 be considered an upgrade from the KSW100?

Other audio equipment:
Onkyo RC270
Polk RT8 (front)
Polk CS400i (center)
Polk RTi4 (side and rear)

Thank you

By all accounts, I would say yes. I've never heard the KSW100, but on paper, the Bic will play deeper and will have more output and so it should as it is a 12" driver vs. 8". I had 2 of them and was very happy with them. I didn't use them for music so I can't comment on that. I ended up selling them because I was selling a receiver and was demo-ing it for the buyer using Terminator Salvation and he was so impressed with them that he offered me more money then what I had paid for them

There are 2 other models to consider. The Premier Acoustic PA-120 (I ordered to replace my Bics) and the Polk Audio PSW505.

cheers
post #3 of 9 Old 01-08-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
The Bic F12 will be a big step up from those two subs you mentioned. It's a good sub for the money. I set up a system for a guy last year and we used two F12's and it sounded good with music and movies.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-08-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post

The Bic F12 will be a big step up from those two subs you mentioned. It's a good sub for the money. I set up a system for a guy last year and we used two F12's and it sounded good with music and movies.

I'll let you know when I get my 2 PA-120 next week. You are right in saying that the F12 is a good sub. Like I said, I had 2 of them and like them. I only sold them 'cause the buyer gave me more money than I paid for them. If not, I'd still have them for sure.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
pfp

Went ahead and got the F12 and am very happy with it. Dad is also thrilled with his new to him Klipsch sub. I've seen so many positive comments about going with dual subs that I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. Second F12 arrives in 2 days.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Went ahead and got the F12 and am very happy with it. Dad is also thrilled with his new to him Klipsch sub. I've seen so many positive comments about going with dual subs that I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. Second F12 arrives in 2 days.

well then!! your room is not very big, you should start right away with bracing your wall and bolting your furniture on the floor If I read correctly, your room is about 14' x 17', if so, you will have no problem pressurizing the room!! congrats

Have you considered a stand for your center for your next purchase? Ideally, you want to try to align your front 3 linearly, (the 3 tweeters align horizontally). I believe that it would improve the imaging in your front stage (the sounds, dialog in your case, would be more realistically perceived by the listener; dialog coming closer from the characters on tv vs. coming from on top). Even in my setup it's not really ideal. I'm looking at mounting my tv on the wall and getting a new entertainment unit to remedy.

Just food for thought. You have a pretty descent setup and it would be a shame to not get the most out of it. But hey, if you like it the way it is, who am I to tell you all this

cheers
post #7 of 9 Old 01-23-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I'm glad you like the F12. I'm sure it put a smile on your face. When you get the second F12 your smile is going to get even bigger. In most cases once you go with dual subs you will never go back to a single sub.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-25-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

Have you considered a stand for your center for your next purchase? Ideally, you want to try to align your front 3 linearly, (the 3 tweeters align horizontally). I believe that it would improve the imaging in your front stage (the sounds, dialog in your case, would be more realistically perceived by the listener; dialog coming closer from the characters on tv vs. coming from on top). Even in my setup it's not really ideal. I'm looking at mounting my tv on the wall and getting a new entertainment unit to remedy.

The center is already on a "stand". This pic shows the old sub where the new one now resides. The second sub will go on the other side of the center.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-25-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The center is already on a "stand". This pic shows the old sub where the new one now resides. The second sub will go on the other side of the center.

mmmhhmm, taste like foot
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page