Subwoofer for Klipsch Quintets? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2012, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Can anyone help me decide on a what subwoofer I should be looking for? I don't want to exceed $300 if possible. I saw the below klipsch sub, and thought it would be good? However, my pioneer vsx 1021 k only allows me to set the crossover by 50hz increments? The speakers are capable of 120hz (satellites) 125hz (center), I currently have the receivers crossover set to 150hz, and my current Sony sub set to the same. Should I be looking for a sub that is 150hz capable? Or can I set my receivers x-over to 100hz and be ok (not damage the speakers)?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882780012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-08-2012, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey malibumike, are you sure about those settings ? 50 hz Just quickly glancing at the manual , it seems like a nice reciever.. I think you're reading something wrong..
make sure your klipsch speakers are all set to small...
I have the klipsch quintets and sub 10 with yamaha v665 have all speakers set to small and crossover 120 ..they sound verygood for small/medium rooms..
good luck
post #3 of 7 Old 01-08-2012, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post

Hey malibumike, are you sure about those settings ? 50 hz Just quickly glancing at the manual , it seems like a nice reciever.. I think you're reading something wrong..
make sure your klipsch speakers are all set to small...
I have the klipsch quintets and sub 10 with yamaha v665 have all speakers set to small and crossover 120 ..they sound verygood for small/medium rooms..
good luck

Hi Joe, I'm fairly positive my only options are 50,80,100,150,200. I've asked the guys in the 1021k thread though, hoping there's a fix. I'm glad you're enjoying the sub 10. If I can get the crossover thing sorted out, I will probably buy it also. Thanks for your reply.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone have suggestions for a good 150hz Sub within my budget? It was confirmed that the 1021k cannot do 120hz. So I will continue to set my crossover at 150hz, and now I need to find a sub that will match. Thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Crossover options jump from 100-150? That's strange.
Epik's dual opposed sealed designs (Legend @ $499, Empire @ $799) have outstanding output to at least 200 hz if not higher.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 181
The Cadence CSX-12 is $399 delivered. It's -3db is 154hz as found by Sound and Vision. I have one teamed with NHT SuperZero 2.0s and it sounds incredible.

http://www.cadencehometheaterspeaker...2&idproduct=16 (Home)

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...oofer?page=0,0 (Review)

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 427
The Pinnacle PS Sub 225 is on quite a sale right now, so perhaps that's one to consider.

I'm most of the way done evaluation the Pinnacle sub I bought, so I can't yet provide a link to my write up (because I haven't even started it). However, the Cliff Notes version is for $129 I don't believe there's anything out there that can touch it.

The output tends to mirror the source material more so then most of the other budgets subs I've reviewed, so if what you're listening to has deep bass that's what you get. If there isn't any you don't get any. If the source material is good -- like properly mixed music -- the sound is commensurate. That also holds true if you're listening to a crappy source; if it's bad so too is the sound.

It's surprisingly faithful in that regard, which may or may not be to your liking. My own proclivity is for tonal accuracy; I don't particularly like a sub to exaggerate any part of the frequency range just for the "wow" factor. Probably why my predilection is towards acoustic suspension I suppose.

So I guess it can be summed up with that old acronym; GIGO. Garbage In, Garbage Out. But that also means quality in, quality out.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page