Pick up the Ken Kreisel MX-5000 MK III Subwoofer in Hong Kong Hometheater Showroom - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 51 Old 01-12-2012, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

We know of exactly one purchase of the MX-5000 MK3 from the Original Poster of this thread. If anyone can substantiate any other sales of this sub, please do so.

If your chinese reading skills are upto scratch then check out some of the chinese sub forums on the popular forums.

It isnt a pre-requisite that every chinese customer that purchases this sub has to report on this american forum straight away.

You're obviously right, seeing as only one chinese gent has posted on, only 1 sub must have sold

21inch hitachi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 01-13-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybobjimbob View Post

If your chinese reading skills are upto scratch then check out some of the chinese sub forums on the popular forums.

It isnt a pre-requisite that every chinese customer that purchases this sub has to report on this american forum straight away.

You're obviously right, seeing as only one chinese gent has posted on, only 1 sub must have sold

British forums are as exotic as I get. If you wish to root out any sales figures from Chinese forums, please post the sales numbers you come up with. Also waiting for you to explain what "High Velocity" deep bass is? I can see from Ken's Facebook page that he has as many as a dozen people following the MX-5000 MK3, but I can't determine if any of those posters actually bought the MX-5000 MK3.

Again, I encourage you to put me on your ignore list.
post #33 of 51 Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:

Which forums do you recommend?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #34 of 51 Old 01-25-2012, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Guys, any more info on Ken or the new line? It seems pretty quiet on his facebook page & website...
post #35 of 51 Old 01-25-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermorb73 View Post

Guys, any more info on Ken or the new line? It seems pretty quiet on his facebook page & website...

We are still waiting for Billybobjimbob to provide links to the Chinese forums with the reviews...

A lot more information should be available on the facebook page and website by the 3rd quarter of 2012...
post #36 of 51 Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

We are still waiting for Billybobjimbob to provide links to the Chinese forums with the reviews...

A lot more information should be available on the facebook page and website by the 3rd quarter of 2012...

Although im a big fan of mr kriesel, im not actually his official spokesman!

Stop eating that burger and start using the magic of google and all will be revealed!

21inch hitachi
post #37 of 51 Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

M&K has always been overpriced for what you get. I have Don Keele's lengthy review of the original M&K S5000 system. Excellent dynamics and clarity from the mains. The original MX 5000 subs were quite powerful for a dual 12 inch with 400 watts but were quite expensive. Other subs like the Paradigm Servo 15 and the 18 inch Velodyne Servo subs of the day made for interesting comparisons.

Amen! I've always respected the basic designs of the old M&K subs, but I've never understood the cult-like love for them. They were relatively simple sealed designs (some push-pull) in large boxes with amps that are tame by today's standards. I guess the fact that they were one of the first "real" subwoofers led to their popularity.
post #38 of 51 Old 01-26-2012, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:

Although im a big fan of mr kriesel, im not actually his official spokesman!

Stop eating that burger and start using the magic of google and all will be revealed!

C'mon, Billybob. Just put up a couple of those Chinese forum links you went to.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #39 of 51 Old 02-17-2012, 06:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

Amen! I've always respected the basic designs of the old M&K subs, but I've never understood the cult-like love for them. They were relatively simple sealed designs (some push-pull) in large boxes with amps that are tame by today's standards. I guess the fact that they were one of the first "real" subwoofers led to their popularity.

Maybe it's because the M&K's were capable doing something most other subs fail to do - real punch. Going for the sub with a 2000 watt amp or double 18" bass drivers is like choosing the blonde with big boobs. Yes it's satisfying, but there's more to it than that.

Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, UK
post #40 of 51 Old 02-18-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav1dF View Post

Maybe it's because the M&K's were capable doing something most other subs fail to do - real punch. Going for the sub with a 2000 watt amp or double 18" bass drivers is like choosing the blonde with big boobs. Yes it's satisfying, but there's more to it than that.

The M&K subs varied in their output capability, and there is no objective definition of "real punch". M&K were expensive for what you got. The original M&K MX-5000THX was a very potent sub that sold for $2,200 eighteen (18) years ago.

The new $3,000 MX-5000 MK3 faces very stiff competition from the likes of the Seaton Submersive which sells for $2,000.

When Tom Nousaine tested 11 subs with MSRP of $1,000 or less, including the M&K MX-125, it finished 5th in terms of output. The HSU HRSW12V finished first. Not that the M&K was bad by any means, however, based strictly on output and extension it was mid-pack. The MSRP $900 Cerwin-Vega HT-12PWR had more output and cost $378 delivered.

In the Nousaine list you will find the test results on lines number:
228, 229, 231, 233, 234, 236, 237, 238, 241, 241, 243.

The M&K MX-125 is number 236.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...hl=en_US#gid=0

The line numbers for those 11 subs don't mean anything because Tom Nousaine used slightly different criteria for most of the other subs in the list.
post #41 of 51 Old 02-25-2012, 11:43 PM

Chinese is here!

First thing first. Price-wise: The pre-order price for the KK's MX-5000 MK3 in China (Mainland only) is ... $3650! Yes! You read it right! $3650! Is it too much??? En ... the selling price of a SVS PB-13 Ultra is close to $3500 in China Mainland today.

Background: Mr. Kreisel has a very good reputation in Asia. Many HT owners learned their HT experience starting from a set of M&K system. And the MK Sound (Hong Kong) Co. (You know who they are if you know of Mr. Ken Kreisel's career history) cultivates the Asian markets pretty well after M&K faded out here. MK Sound maintains the same premium price (or higher) as that in M&K era.

Anyone having or interesting in a marketing degree might know there are three important Ps in the marketing activities: Positioning, Pricing and Promoting.

If you were Mr. Ken Kreisel, how would you position your products in Asia? Would it be a cheaper one than MK Sound's MK subwoofer? Would you be willing to sell your flagship moel lower than SVS' flagship model?

The question is: SVS ships the subwoofers from U.S. to China. The transportation cost and the import duty are unavoidable. KK's MX-5000 MK3 is made in China and is sold in China. So, it's a big opportunity to turn the competitors' cost into my own profits. If I were a business man, I have no reason not to launch my products in the most profitable area. As a bonus, China happens to know very few about SubMersive or JTR. And the Customer (China Mainland only) sets a technical barrier (CCC certificate) for individuals to buy electric appliances from the other countries. Is that so perfect?

Back to states, now it's a different story. I need to pay for transportation fee and sell the products in an acceptable price comparing to the others which will be true street fights.

Ownership: I only see two persons announced at Chinese forum (Mainland only) that they bought the KK's MX-5000 MK3 subwoofers since the launch. Both of they are regarded as M&K's fans. More potential buyers may follow. Let's see!

I, myself, am interesting in this subwoofer too. I own a 1000W SubMersive for a year which costed me around $2550 to get it home and I am looking forward to having some comparison between them.
post #42 of 51 Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I'm sure it's a fine product but it serves no purpose in America. There are plenty of good subs already made here and imported from overseas.

If it does come here I hope Mr Kriesel drops the "engineered in California" line. That just adds insult to injury of a dying industry and economy.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #43 of 51 Old 03-04-2012, 05:38 PM

Quote:

The M&K subs varied in their output capability, and there is no objective definition of "real punch". M&K were expensive for what you got. The original M&K MX-5000THX was a very potent sub that sold for $2,200 eighteen (18) years ago.

The new $3,000 MX-5000 MK3 faces very stiff competition from the likes of the Seaton Submersive which sells for $2,000.

When Tom Nousaine tested 11 subs with MSRP of $1,000 or less, including the M&K MX-125, it finished 5th in terms of output. The HSU HRSW12V finished first. Not that the M&K was bad by any means, however, based strictly on output and extension it was mid-pack. The MSRP $900 Cerwin-Vega HT-12PWR had more output and cost $378 delivered.

In the Nousaine list you will find the test results on lines number:
228, 229, 231, 233, 234, 236, 237, 238, 241, 241, 243.

The M&K MX-125 is number 236.

Again, why the obsession with numbers? If you're going out to buy a super car, are you going to base your buying decision on top speed only? On brake horse power only? No. You'll base it on how it performs, how well it drives, how it feels, and yes, even how it looks. Going for a sub just because it has the highest powered amplifier really is quite shallow.

Frank Harvey Hi-Fi, UK
post #44 of 51 Old 03-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Going for a sub just because it has the highest powered amplifier really is quite shallow.

LOL, don't forget about the most SPL! welcome to the AVS Forum!
post #45 of 51 Old 03-05-2012, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again, why the obsession with numbers? If you're going out to buy a super car, are you going to base your buying decision on top speed only? On brake horse power only? No. You'll base it on how it performs, how well it drives, how it feels, and yes, even how it looks. Going for a sub just because it has the highest powered amplifier really is quite shallow.

The best reviews include output, extension, frequency response and distortion. These are measured with numbers. Look at the reviews by Josh Ricci for Audioholics, they are full of graphs with numbers. Listening has its place but those subs that measure poorly need not apply...

If you think you have a valid substitute for measuring output, extension, frequency response and distortion tell eveyone here how you would go about testing subwoofers.
post #46 of 51 Old 03-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:

The best reviews include output, extension, frequency response and distortion. These are measured with numbers. Look at the reviews by Josh Ricci for Audioholics, they are full of graphs with numbers. Listening has its place but those subs that measure poorly need not apply...

If you think you have a valid substitute for measuring output, extension, frequency response and distortion tell eveyone here how you would go about testing subwoofers.

Out of curiosity, since you're recommending the Seaton Submersive and JTR Captivator as superior alternatives, do you know of any measurements done on them by someone such as the aforementioned Mr. Ricci?
post #47 of 51 Old 03-05-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post

Out of curiosity, since you're recommending the Seaton Submersive and JTR Captivator as superior alternatives, do you know of any measurements done on them by someone such as the aforementioned Mr. Ricci?

If you have any meaningful information contrary to what I posted please feel free to provide it to the members of this Forum.
post #48 of 51 Old 03-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you have any meaningful information contrary to what I posted please feel free to provide it to the members of this Forum.

I'll take that as a no.
post #49 of 51 Old 03-05-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

In the following thread there are both Frequency Response and Output measurements.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335139
post #50 of 51 Old 03-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In the following thread there are both Frequency Response and Output measurements.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1335139

The in room measurements? That's not exactly the caliber of measurements Ricci is putting out...
post #51 of 51 Old 03-15-2012, 11:05 PM

Liked: 11
While it looks like kens new subs have been released in Europe are they available in the us? Not available in Australia as yet. Keen to see/ hear one perform. They look like a relatively small form factor, certainly not the size of some of the popular high output subs on this forum, captivator, submersive etc

Intrigued to see how much output ken can obtain and whether it competes with the big boys
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page