Sub crawl question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-11-2012, 07:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can't move my theater seating to put the sub in my LP.

How much will it "hurt" if I put the sub right in front of my LP?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-11-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post

Actually, near-field placement can help overcome many warts in your room acoustics. When you can place the sub in the best location, then you just have to experiment with the available spots.

Randy
post #3 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Phil, if I understand your question correctly, you are asking about placement of the sub during the sub crawl.

The ideal spot is "in" (on) your seat, if you can do that without destroying the seating. You want it be roughly where your ears would be so you can crawl around placing your ears where the sub would be. In essence, your ears and the sub are trading places temporarily so you can find the spot where the sub would produce the best bass in the seating area.

Next best place would be on the floor exactly where your seating would be, but you say that isn't possible. If the best you can do is place it just in front of the seating, then that is the best you can do. Place it in front of your seating, do the crawl, find the spot where you are hearing the smoothest, tightest bass, place your sub there, and don't worry about it.

When it comes to our sound systems, most of us in the real world have to make compromises. When setting up your system, do the best you can then sit back and enjoy the movies and the music. If you are listening to your system rather than to the movie or music, you are missing the point.

Jack

post #4 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 04:23 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT3 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac View Post

Actually, near-field placement can help overcome many warts in your room acoustics. When you can place the sub in the best location, then you just have to experiment with the available spots.

Hes asking about placing the sub in front of the main LP for doing the sub crawl placement test.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 375
Phil - What type of seating do you have? Could you turn the sub on it's side and have the driver fire toward the wall or something while sitting on the seat?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDTrainer View Post

Hes asking about placing the sub in front of the main LP for doing the sub crawl placement test.

I see that now. My near-field comment still holds true though.

Now, placing the sub near the primary LP is not the same as on the LP. But in your room, it may be. How many times have we heard that moving the sub a couple feet, and even less, has made significant improvements in the sound. In other rooms, large placement changes were needed to make a difference. So the answer is yes, but maybe no.

Randy
post #7 of 7 Old 01-12-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Hey Andrew,

I have one row of four and one row of three. They are connected to each other... And main LP is in the middle of the row of four. It's a pain to disconnect them and move them.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page