Archaea's Kansas City Blind Subwoofer Shootout 2012 - Page 30 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes
post #871 of 877 Unread Yesterday, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Might this be one of those things where the expected science doesn't necessarily map out exactly?
I think it's fair to say that things are always more complicated in room than in theory.

Quote:
What frequencies are supposed to have the full 6dB boost within 14'?
Just 20Hz and below. Above 20Hz, the wavelengths will get progressively shorter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #872 of 877 Unread Yesterday, 12:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Two cap 1400's will best two Rhythmic FV15HPs

But it wouldn't necessarily be worth a trade to go from two Rythmiks to one cap depending on circumstances.

Figure with two Rythmiks non co-located like you are using them - there is only about a 3dB advantage over having a single Rythmik. (a six dB advantage would require you had the pair double stacked (or otherwise co-located))

You can overlay the two subs max output and frequency response, one over the other at data-bass.com now days. Just select the sub from the drop down you want to compare.

http://www.data-bass.com/data?page=s...d=117&mset=129

When you do so you see the JTR has 3dB-6dB advantage over the FV15HP everywhere except 30-40hzish. BUT with a pair of subs you get some nice frequency smoothing in room, so your bass experience will be more consistent seat to seat over that of a single subwoofer.

The 20hz difference between the two subs is pretty impactful. The JTR has about a 6dB advantage in output at 20hz over the Rhythmic. 6dB is right at twice as loud. So putting this all together that means at 20hz, the JTR would be about the same volume as your two Rhythmic stacked on top of each other. 20hz is a pretty critical area for movie use --- so the advantage is there, but it will really depend on room, volume preferences, and bass smoothing needs as to whether you find the swap worthwhile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1981 View Post
One thing to keep in mind, two subs are considered mutually coupled/colocated/stacked/whatever when they're within a quarter wavelength from each other. At 20Hz, that would be within ~14 feet from each other.
Thanks for the responses! So, if I'm only concerned about the bass response in the main listening position, I should definitely go with a single Cap 1400. Is that correct?
post #873 of 877 Unread Yesterday, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
Thanks for the responses! So, if I'm only concerned about the bass response in the main listening position, I should definitely go with a single Cap 1400. Is that correct?
I don't believe you'll gain much by switching from a pair of FV15HPs to a single Cap 1400; however, if you only have space for a single, or if you're looking to upgrade to a pair of Caps, it could be worthwhile.
post #874 of 877 Unread Yesterday, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 307
@Archaea .. I'm sure a lot of members and others including some ID companies here. Is probably waiting for you to put up another gtg blind test shootout. Especially with all the new sub designs from different ID companies. Sound quality, capabilities, and a all out spl till what level each sub start spittn. A gtg would put a lot of questions to rest..

Last edited by rhed; Today at 12:28 AM.
post #875 of 877 Unread Today, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 447
@Chipless

No way I'd give up a pair of FV15HP's for a single Cap. Dual Caps for sure! Are your FV's running out of steam?

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
post #876 of 877 Unread Today, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT78681 View Post
@Chipless

No way I'd give up a pair of FV15HP's for a single Cap. Dual Caps for sure! Are your FV's running out of steam?
My only current issue with the FV15HPs stems from the drop off above 70Hz, which is evident in the measurements both from data-bass and within my own room (my own room actually causes them to drop closer to 60Hz, and much faster than the data-bass measurements). My cross-overs are set at 80-90Hz (depending on Audyssey minimums for each speaker), so I feel like I have a gap in my response that could potentially be solved by the Cap 1400 (or so it seems by looking at the measurements). Thoughts?
post #877 of 877 Unread Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipless View Post
My only current issue with the FV15HPs stems from the drop off above 70Hz, which is evident in the measurements both from data-bass and within my own room (my own room actually causes them to drop closer to 60Hz, and much faster than the data-bass measurements). My cross-overs are set at 80-90Hz (depending on Audyssey minimums for each speaker), so I feel like I have a gap in my response that could potentially be solved by the Cap 1400 (or so it seems by looking at the measurements). Thoughts?
Are you using line in or LFE? I believe line in only extends to 90hz and LFE extends to 200hz.

Receiver - Denon 4311CI
Speakers - Klipsch RF-82 II's, RC-62 II, RB-61 II's
Subs - Rythmik FV15HP's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Hsu Vtf 15h Subwoofer