JL Audio E Sub series - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 139 Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 PM
Senior Member
 
K5/SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
You sure are trying to persuade people not to spend their money on JL products in a JL specific thread...

I will be ordering dual E112's in the near future. We will have to see how they stack up against the mighty Rythmik.

Oppo BDP103, Sony 70" LED, Definitive Technology Mythos STS Towers, Definitive Technology Mythos 9's x3, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Furman Elite 15, Harmony Ultimate Hub and Rythmik FV15HP.
K5/SS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 139 Old 10-23-2014, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
duc135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Poster asked for people's views. That's mine. I own Revel speakers and make the same statements in the Revel thread when people ask if they should get a Revel sub. JL makes great subs. I don't deny that. It's just that there are companies that can AND do make better subs for less. JL subs are great if you need the small form factor to pass WAF. If not, save yourself tons of money or get much better performance for the same price with an ID sub. Pocket that money or put it back into things like a second sub or room treatments to get even better performance. The poster is free to stick with JL sub if he or she so chooses. I just prefer to enlighten people to other, better options should they choose to go that route.
oneeyeblind likes this.
duc135 is offline  
post #123 of 139 Old 10-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Senior Member
 
K5/SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Seattle
Posts: 264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 49
The poster above your response asked about opinions on various JL subs. This is a JL E Series thread and you brought HSU Rythmik and SVS.

It would be like going into an Porsche thread and telling them that they should not waste their money on such expensive cars when you can just buy a Corvette for much less money and have better performance.

I am not saying you are wrong or anything, just pointing out something I noticed. That's all
JimWilson and feistyacorn like this.

Oppo BDP103, Sony 70" LED, Definitive Technology Mythos STS Towers, Definitive Technology Mythos 9's x3, Pioneer SC-1523-K, Furman Elite 15, Harmony Ultimate Hub and Rythmik FV15HP.
K5/SS is offline  
post #124 of 139 Old 10-24-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Kini62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 3,264
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 417
As for much better performance for less, then DIY offers a much better price/performance than does ID.

Plus those shopping for a JL E series are not likely cross shopping with large ported subs.

For their size the E series performs as well or better than any comparable ID sub. Sure they might cost more but you still get a lot for your money.
JimWilson likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
Kini62 is offline  
post #125 of 139 Old 10-24-2014, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimneysweep View Post
I have Magnepan 3.7s as my front stereo speakers (with MMC2s as rear).

I use my system 50/50 music and home cinema and want to add a pair of JL audio subs.
I wondered if anyone has a view on the f110s to the e112s which, due to discounts on the f series (in light of the upcoming v2), are now pretty much the same price.

My impression of various reviews I have read is the the new e-series maybe as good as the old f series (which I suspect will change with the v2) but its hard to confirm and I don't want to compromise if the f series is a better speaker.

I appreciate the e doesn't have the ARO or balanced cables input but am OK with this.
The benefit of being able to go to the e112 model is a slightly deeper extension of bass.
I would prefer this all things being equal but the main thing to match to the Maggies is a fast response.

My room would be classified as small to medium (17'x18') so I don't need the power of a larger sub to fill the room.

I would really appreciate if anyone has any views that would help my opinion.

I reviewed the E112 so I'm familiar with that sub. I've never heard an F series though, so I can't comment on it from experience.

The E series are fantastic subs, but I don't imagine they are the equal of the F series. Close, perhaps, but not quite the same. Given your choice of either the F110 or the E112 I think the latter is a better option. If your ceilings are standard height (about 8') your room is approximately 2500 ft^3. That's not really considered small. For music you might be able to get away with a sub having a 10" driver, but in a room the size of yours I don't think the same configuration will provide the type of response you're probably looking for. My guess is it would struggle.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #126 of 139 Old 11-03-2014, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
David Barteaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc135 View Post
I don't know what the street price of the JL subs are, but for considerably less than MSRP you can get a much better sub from ID companies like Rythmik, HSU, SVS, JTR, Seaton, etc. JL subs would only be a consideration to me if size were an issue. Some of the ID subs have very nice finishes, especially if you go with custom enclosures from Funk Audio. For example, the Rythmik F15HP in piano black is only $1400. The JL E112 can't touch the performance of any of the ID subs.
I have to disagree with you a little bit. The E112 can "touch" the performance with regards to output but I think where this sub shines is its awesome control and fidelity with music. I wouldn't hesitate putting one of these with the likes of B&W Nautilus or Focal Utopia as a dedicated music system.

I just recently has one to demo and it didn't have the output of my SVS PCU13, but for music the PCU could not keep up IMO. My room is only 14x19 and the E112 could easily pressurize the room and rattle everything. My 9 year old son actually didn't like how his ears felt lol!

That being said I'm looking at the E112 or Funk Audio very closely to replace my SVS.


Last edited by David Barteaux; 11-03-2014 at 02:59 PM.
David Barteaux is offline  
post #127 of 139 Old 11-03-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WestCoastD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Okay, here we go, I use a single F110 sub for my 5.1 theater system currently:
Marantz AV8801 processor
Parasound Halo A51 amp
Oppo BDP-105 media player
Sony SCD-XA5400ES CD/SACD player
Monitor Audio GX100 monitors (fronts)
Monitor Audio GXC350 center
Monitor Audio GSFX rears
Epson 3020 Powerlite Home Enema Projector
Elite Projection Screen (92in diagonal)

I would like to upgrade to using a dual-sub system (ie. 5.2 configuration). Later, down the line, I plan to install additional ceiling surrounds to achieve 5.2.2 for Atmos (after release of Marantz AV8802 processor).

So the obvious question is:
Should I purchase a second JL F110 unit? Or should I sell my F110 and purchase two E110 units?

All I know is this F110 by-itself is incredible in my room (14ft X 11ft)
WestCoastD is offline  
post #128 of 139 Old 11-03-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
So the obvious question is:
Should I purchase a second JL F110 unit? Or should I sell my F110 and purchase two E110 units?

All I know is this F110 by-itself is incredible in my room (14ft X 11ft)

My vote would be go for another F110. You already like the one you own so duals will simply be more of what you have now, which is a good thing. I would have to believe the F series is better than the E series, so "downgrading" to an E series from the F series in order to get duals doesn't seem like the best option to me. Realistically the E series are not actually downgrades, in the classic sense of the term, but you get the gist of what I mean.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #129 of 139 Old 11-03-2014, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member
 
bweissman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
Epson 3020 Powerlite Home Enema Projector
Does that come with a tube of Vaseline?

EDIT: OK, sorry. Here's some actual content. With your equipment, I would sell the F sub, get 2 E subs, and upgrade the PJ to a Sony UHD, as in the VPL-VW600ES.

Last edited by bweissman; 11-03-2014 at 06:11 PM.
bweissman is offline  
post #130 of 139 Old 11-03-2014, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WestCoastD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
My vote would be go for another F110. You already like the one you own so duals will simply be more of what you have now, which is a good thing. I would have to believe the F series is better than the E series, so "downgrading" to an E series from the F series in order to get duals doesn't seem like the best option to me. Realistically the E series are not actually downgrades, in the classic sense of the term, but you get the gist of what I mean.
thanks. Yeah, I naturally (making un-educated guess) assumed the "E" would'nt be as good as the "F" series, especially after seeing the price difference. However recently someone [verbally] mentioned to me to check out these new "E" series JL subs, that he thought they out-shined the "F" series. This is what prompted me to explore more into this new JL product line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
Does that come with a tube of Vaseline?

EDIT: OK, sorry. Here's some actual content. With your equipment, I would sell the F sub, get 2 E subs, and upgrade the PJ to a Sony UHD, as in the VPL-VW600ES.
was just checking whether or not you really read my post

Yeah, I'm very much a music-first type person, so I'm especially contemplating, or researching, whether two E110's would yield better/nicer output for music? I recently switched from Monitor Audio Gold signature GS60 front towers and GSLCR center to the newer GX100 monitors (for fronts) and GXC350 center. I really loved the GS60 towers for listening to dedicated 2ch music, great bass depth. Now, since I have monitors I'm looking moreso to sub's for bass.

One aspect that stands out immediately is the amp output rating comparison:
E110 = 1200W
F110 = 900W

Both are sealed. However I really like the relocation of the control panel of the E series.

Aso, wish I could afford a Sony VPL-VW600ES ($14,000.00). I think I'd rather put that down on a new house to put my theater in

Last edited by WestCoastD; 11-03-2014 at 07:25 PM.
WestCoastD is offline  
post #131 of 139 Old 11-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
bweissman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: California, USA
Posts: 790
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
Yeah, I'm very much a music-first type person
That's very different. Never mind. I was recommending saving some bucks on the subs in order to upgrade the PJ.
bweissman is offline  
post #132 of 139 Old 11-07-2014, 01:11 AM
Member
 
IcedEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Today I own one F112 but thinking of buying a E112. My question is can you combine a F112 with a E112 with good result?


//R
IcedEarth is online now  
post #133 of 139 Old 11-07-2014, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JimWilson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Somewhere in New Joisey
Posts: 4,764
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
Today I own one F112 but thinking of buying a E112. My question is can you combine a F112 with a E112 with good result?
They can be combined, for sure, but how effective the pair will be depends upon what you're trying to achieve.
The E112 will be a step down from the F112 in every way; total output, depth, distortion, etc. In this case, 'step down' sounds far more drastic then it really is though (I reviewed the E112 a short time ago, so I know how good a subwoofer it is).

If you're going to place the E112 the same distance from your seating position as you would the F112 then the E will reach it's output limit before the F does. If you don't listen at high volumes that might not be an issue though. The E112 will not be able to go as low either, so the F112 will be able to play tones the E simply can't. Based upon JL Audio's posted numbers the difference is not all that great, so you may not even notice it.

Some of the differences between the E and F series - like distortion or group delay - might show up when measured and tested, but probably wouldn't be audible. In that case you can consider them irrelevant; the only things that really matter are those which produce an audible difference.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
JimWilson is offline  
post #134 of 139 Old 11-07-2014, 09:23 AM
Member
 
IcedEarth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Sweden
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
They can be combined, for sure, but how effective the pair will be depends upon what you're trying to achieve.
The E112 will be a step down from the F112 in every way; total output, depth, distortion, etc. In this case, 'step down' sounds far more drastic then it really is though (I reviewed the E112 a short time ago, so I know how good a subwoofer it is).

If you're going to place the E112 the same distance from your seating position as you would the F112 then the E will reach it's output limit before the F does. If you don't listen at high volumes that might not be an issue though. The E112 will not be able to go as low either, so the F112 will be able to play tones the E simply can't. Based upon JL Audio's posted numbers the difference is not all that great, so you may not even notice it.

Some of the differences between the E and F series - like distortion or group delay - might show up when measured and tested, but probably wouldn't be audible. In that case you can consider them irrelevant; the only things that really matter are those which produce an audible difference.
Thank you for your answer! If you look at the sound quality between the two, no just comparing numbers, the woofers look very different. One would assume the that they would have different sound
characteristics?
IcedEarth is online now  
post #135 of 139 Old 11-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Senior Member
 
BVLDARI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedEarth View Post
Thank you for your answer! If you look at the sound quality between the two, no just comparing numbers, the woofers look very different. One would assume the that they would have different sound
characteristics?
I've had the E112 sit on top of an F113 and spent 24 hours comparing them. I can tell you that they are similar in many ways (sound quality wise) but definitely not the same. I would ask your dealer to let you borrow an E112 to try at home. It's an expensive enough purchase where you should be able to get that. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't mix and match the subs especially for a music application.

So at the end of my comparison I wanted an F113. I felt that while it was not twice as good it was better enough that had I not gone for the F I would have always been regretful about it. So at the end of the day I wound up with an F212 but that's a long story...

BVLDARI is offline  
post #136 of 139 Old 11-07-2014, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WestCoastD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post
They can be combined, for sure, but how effective the pair will be depends upon what you're trying to achieve.
The E112 will be a step down from the F112 in every way; total output, depth, distortion, etc. In this case, 'step down' sounds far more drastic then it really is though (I reviewed the E112 a short time ago, so I know how good a subwoofer it is).

If you're going to place the E112 the same distance from your seating position as you would the F112 then the E will reach it's output limit before the F does. If you don't listen at high volumes that might not be an issue though. The E112 will not be able to go as low either, so the F112 will be able to play tones the E simply can't. Based upon JL Audio's posted numbers the difference is not all that great, so you may not even notice it.

Some of the differences between the E and F series - like distortion or group delay - might show up when measured and tested, but probably wouldn't be audible. In that case you can consider them irrelevant; the only things that really matter are those which produce an audible difference.
interesting. I would imagine the same goes for an F-110 vs E-110 comparison- ie. E-110 would not resolve certain tones which the F-110 could? This aspect is illustrated, at least on paper, in your review (in the form of graphical measurements)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
I've had the E112 sit on top of an F113 and spent 24 hours comparing them. I can tell you that they are similar in many ways (sound quality wise) but definitely not the same. I would ask your dealer to let you borrow an E112 to try at home. It's an expensive enough purchase where you should be able to get that. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't mix and match the subs especially for a music application.

So at the end of my comparison I wanted an F113. I felt that while it was not twice as good it was better enough that had I not gone for the F I would have always been regretful about it. So at the end of the day I wound up with an F212 but that's a long story...
thanks for your input, much help.

Price-wise, it's very inticing to switch from my one F110 to two E110's. But now I'm re-thinking it may be wiser to just add one more F110. But I really like the slightly more compact size of the E-Series form-factor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLDARI View Post
If money is not an issue, then I would encourage you to listen to the F113. If you have space to put two subs in your place then I would strongly consider the E112 because you can get two for less than the price of one F113.
on the same frame of thought I'm thinking going for two E110's for price value (since I have room for two subs), as opposed to adding one more F110............hmmmm......

Last edited by WestCoastD; 11-07-2014 at 01:31 PM.
WestCoastD is offline  
post #137 of 139 Old 11-08-2014, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member
 
David Barteaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Canada
Posts: 900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
interesting. I would imagine the same goes for an F-110 vs E-110 comparison- ie. E-110 would not resolve certain tones which the F-110 could? This aspect is illustrated, at least on paper, in your review (in the form of graphical measurements)

thanks for your input, much help.

Price-wise, it's very inticing to switch from my one F110 to two E110's. But now I'm re-thinking it may be wiser to just add one more F110. But I really like the slightly more compact size of the E-Series form-factor.

on the same frame of thought I'm thinking going for two E110's for price value (since I have room for two subs), as opposed to adding one more F110............hmmmm......
The E series is an amazing value and incorporates a lot of tech that JL has developed over the years. I just purchased a E112 and its an amazing sub..tight, musical, depth..all there. Its replacing a SVS PC Ultra13 that was louder but not nearly as musical and tight at the E112. In fact its the best sub I've ever listened to hands down.
Would I pick the Fathom over the E series?..if price was not an issue sure..but I feel the Fathoms give you the extra upgrade options like a car, but the core tech of the E sub is all still there under the hood.
David Barteaux is offline  
post #138 of 139 Old 11-10-2014, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WestCoastD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 7,389
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Barteaux View Post
The E series is an amazing value and incorporates a lot of tech that JL has developed over the years. I just purchased a E112 and its an amazing sub..tight, musical, depth..all there. Its replacing a SVS PC Ultra13 that was louder but not nearly as musical and tight at the E112. In fact its the best sub I've ever listened to hands down.
Would I pick the Fathom over the E series?..if price was not an issue sure..but I feel the Fathoms give you the extra upgrade options like a car, but the core tech of the E sub is all still there under the hood.
I'm leaning toward keeping my F110, and add a second (F110) unit.

Thanks for your input
WestCoastD is offline  
post #139 of 139 Old 11-11-2014, 09:34 PM
Senior Member
 
BVLDARI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 499
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
I'm leaning toward keeping my F110, and add a second (F110) unit.

Thanks for your input
That would be my inclination as well...

BVLDARI is offline  
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off