JL Audio E Sub series - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 118 Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
JL Audio introduced two new subwoofers at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
  • Radical new subwoofer driver platform, engineered from the ground up
  • Very long linear excursion with extremely low distortion
  • High-efficiency Class D amplifier with regulated switching power supply
  • Built in 24dB/ocatave, 2-way crossover for 2 channel systems

E-110 E-112
Enclosure Type Sealed Sealed
Driver 10-inch (nominal), e-platform 12-inch (nominal), e-platform
Frequency Response 22 - 110 Hz (±3 dB) 20 - 110 Hz (±3 dB)
Amplifier Power 1000 watts RMS short-term 1400 watts RMS short-term
Dimensions (H x W x D) 14.13 in x 13.5 in x 16.4 in 16.13 in x 15.5 in x 18.2 in
  359 mm x 343 mm x 417 mm 410 mm x 394 mm x 462 mm
Net Weight 53 lb (24 kg) 70 lb (31.8 kg)
Availability Third Quarter 2012 Third Quarter 2012
MSRP: Black Ash $1,300.00/each $1,600.00/each
MSRP: Wood Veneer $1,400.00/each $1,700.00/each

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 Old 01-14-2012, 12:36 PM

Liked: 10
wish I could afford or justify the money for one of those subs. I just wonder if I would be able to tell the difference in one of these and a good quality $500 sub?
post #3 of 118 Old 01-14-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Good Thread

Here is a link to much more information about these 2 new subs:

http://www.jlaudio.com/header/News/P...+U.S.A./885899

I would imagine that the E12 will cannibalize sales of the F112, and the same with the E10 and F110. It would be great if Josh Ricci tested the E12.

Also worth noting that these 2 new subs won't be available till the third quarter of 2012.

I wonder how the E12 would do in a shootout with the SVS SB-13 Plus which is available in real wood veneers for $1,199 delivered? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that SVS had JL Audio in its sights when designing the SB-13 Plus.

And, while the $1,099 HSU ULS-15 is slightly larger, I have to wonder how the E12 would stack-up against the ULS-15? The $1,099 ULS-15 is rated down only 1 db at 15 Hz.
post #4 of 118 Old 01-14-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Interesting. That driver looks serious. No EQ though?
post #5 of 118 Old 01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Looks interesting. Would love to see what Josh Ricci thinks when he tests one (E12)

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #6 of 118 Old 01-14-2012, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
I’d like to know more about the design of the driver; it has several features I’ve never seen before. Other manufacturers have drivers with dual spiders, but these ones are unusually large and separated by a long tube with a diameter larger than the voice coil former. The basket also has a ring cast into it just to hold the second spider, and the motor structure extends all the way to the back of the enclosure. The driver basket is attached to a plate with only four bolts to mount it to the enclosure, which is a novel way to reduce the thickness of the MDF used for the baffle board. Neat stuff.

Paradigm also did similar things with the driver from their Seismic 110 subwoofer introduced last year, but wasn’t discussed by anyone, probably because a 10 inch driver was too small to bother with. Perhaps if JL Audio made 21 inch driver instead it would get noticed here.

Here's a picture of the Paradigm Seismic 110 driver for comparison:

post #7 of 118 Old 01-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
i wouldn't be surprised if the demographic for fathom's has been fully exploited hence the new line

i predict another huge hit for jl here...similar performance to fathoms at half the price?
post #8 of 118 Old 01-15-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

i wouldn't be surprised if the demographic for fathom's has been fully exploited hence the new line

i predict another huge hit for jl here...similar performance to fathoms at half the price?

So you predict that time's running out on the F series?
post #9 of 118 Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

So you predict that time's running out on the F series?

I don't think the available evidence supports that conclusion.

JL certainly isn't the only company producing multiple lines of subwoofers at different price points. The E series looks like it would offer an alternative with less expensive cabinets and components than the Fathoms.
post #10 of 118 Old 01-15-2012, 04:25 PM

I had been planning to get an F series subwoofer, but my wife would not accept it based on price. But with this new E series, I can get the E-112 and she will accept it at that price.

Did anyone listen to these at CES? I wonder how well they sound relative to the F series.
post #11 of 118 Old 01-16-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWDeveloperDave View Post

I had been planning to get an F series subwoofer, but my wife would not accept it based on price. But with this new E series, I can get the E-112 and she will accept it at that price.

Did anyone listen to these at CES? I wonder how well they sound relative to the F series.

I wonder if CES is a good environment to do critical listening?

So, you are going to wait till July or August to listen to the E 12? As I mentioned earlier, I really wonder how the E12 compares to the SVS SB-13 Plus and the HSU ULS-15 which are both very good subs and may be significantly less expensive.

I expect that significant discounts may be hard to come by when the E series is first introduced. Not like the Fathom series which have been available for years now.
post #12 of 118 Old 01-16-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

As I mentioned earlier, I really wonder how the E12 compares to the SVS SB-13 Plus and the HSU ULS-15 which are both very good subs and may be significantly less expensive.

I had the F113 in my house along with the ULS-15 (and my F15) a couple of years ago. The JL was gorgeous, but performance wise, in my room, just not worth it compared to the Hsu and Rythmik.

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #13 of 118 Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

I had the F113 in my house along with the ULS-15 (and my F15) a couple of years ago. The JL was gorgeous, but performance wise, in my room, just not worth it compared to the Hsu and Rythmik.

from what i've read the Rythmik seems to be the most musical sub around

i don't think i've ever read anyone listening to a Rythmik and submersiveHP in the same room. i'd love to hear how those 2 compare musically

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #14 of 118 Old 01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
It's already a crowded market for similar subs at this price point. I think JL Audio is relying on their reputation for success here, and maybe it will work, and maybe it won't.
post #15 of 118 Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

It's already a crowded market for similar subs at this price point. I think JL Audio is relying on their reputation for success here, and maybe it will work, and maybe it won't.

I suspect that the JL offerings will appeal to a different demographic than the ID subs like Rythmik, HSU ULS-15, SVS SB-13 Plus and others.
post #16 of 118 Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

JL makes great products at a number of different price points in car audio so I don't see why they couldn't do the same with home audio and succeed. They just use smaller (or lighter) drivers and less power on their less expensive offerings. E.g.:

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-subwoofer-drivers
post #17 of 118 Old 01-17-2012, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

JL makes great products at a number of different price points in car audio so I don't see why they couldn't do the same with home audio and succeed. They just use smaller (or lighter) drivers and less power on their less expensive offerings. E.g.:

http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-subwoofer-drivers

In post number 12, curtis chang spoke about his experience with the top-of-the-line Fathom model (F113), and his comparison to much less expensive Internet Direct subwoofers. For those who shop in AV boutiques, the JL subs are clearly viable choices. For those who don't mind buying Internet Direct, the available choices are extremely competitive at lower prices. Perhaps there will be some professionally reviews when the E series is released in July or August...
post #18 of 118 Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I would imagine it would be like the f series in that nobody who shops it smartly really pays full retail. That would bring the price much closer to SVS and the others.
post #19 of 118 Old 01-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Advanced Member

I run JL products in my boat and have run them in my cars/trucks and I think their mobile speakers, amps, and, subwoofer drivers are fantastic and always provide both quality and value. I would have considered a used F113 in my house if I didn't have room for a Submersive (they were about the same price), but since I had room, I went with the bigger box because I think you get more sound for your money with a bigger enclosure. But based on my car audio experience with JL, I have little doubt that whatever they produce will be a quality product and have value for the money, even if there is comparable performance elsewhere for cheaper. Jl stuff just always seems to well engineered and has the feel that you have purchased a quality product even at the lower price points within the various lines. JMO.
post #20 of 118 Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

I would imagine it would be like the f series in that nobody who shops it smartly really pays full retail. That would bring the price much closer to SVS and the others.

Agreed Mike. Street pricing is always more interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

I run JL products in my boat and have run them in my cars/trucks and I think their mobile speakers, amps, and, subwoofer drivers are fantastic and always provide both quality and value. I would have considered a used F113 in my house if I didn't have room for a Submersive (they were about the same price), but since I had room, I went with the bigger box because I think you get more sound for your money with a bigger enclosure. But based on my car audio experience with JL, I have little doubt that whatever they produce will be a quality product and have value for the money, even if there is comparable performance elsewhere for cheaper. Jl stuff just always seems to well engineered and has the feel that you have purchased a quality product even at the lower price points within the various lines. JMO.

As for the F113, what other products have you compared it to?

-curtis

Owner of Wave Crest Audio
Volunteer Mod at the Ascend Acoustics Forum
Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.
Help beat breast cancer!

post #21 of 118 Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

IMHO when the E series is first released in July or August discounts are going to be hard to find for several reasons.

1) Compared to the F112 the E112 is already more than $1,000 less. There is more room to negotiate with the higher priced product.

2) JL Audio doesn't want to cannibalize sales of the F112.

3) JL Audio is much more of a boutique product, as compared to Internet Direct subs, including the SVS SB-13 Plus and the HSU ULS-15.

I'm looking forward to profesional testing, perhaps by Josh Ricci.
post #22 of 118 Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 PM

Liked: 13
Anybody knows when these will start selling in the US and expected street pricing. I have the Fathom F112 and I can't wait to pair the E112 with it. I love the fathom subs and IMHO i find it hard that anything out there can be better than the F112. The bass is so tight and punchy and not to mention the looks.
post #23 of 118 Old 06-20-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I've been eying these as well for another build. Supposed to be out sometimes in Q3.
post #24 of 118 Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 PM

At Spyboy's suggestion, this one was also on my radar - enough so that I called Jl audio and spoke with their tech support guy. Unfortunately this promising sub is stuck in corporate tweaking land and MAYBE will be out in late fall but more likely early winter. This could change but this was the current timetable as best as he could predict.
post #25 of 118 Old 06-22-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt6103 View Post

At Spyboy's suggestion, this one was also on my radar - enough so that I called Jl audio and spoke with their tech support guy. Unfortunately this promising sub is stuck in corporate tweaking land and MAYBE will be out in late fall but more likely early winter. This could change but this was the current timetable as best as he could predict.

While this news is slightly disappointing, delays bringing new subs to market is all too common...
post #26 of 118 Old 06-22-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

80% of F112 performance at almost half the cost was the goal. No ARO.

Maybe out by year end.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #27 of 118 Old 08-18-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I've heard that 2 units / models will come close to the Fathom line within +/- 3db across the spec range> and possibly be +4db louder ~ (with 2 units). I see it being a fair trade off since IMO dual sub setups always create a fuller sound compared to single setup> resulting in a more deeper soundstage and enveloping acoustics.

I like the simple compact design of the box and amp> It seems that the way the Knobs and buttons are positioned on the amps> makes it capable of them being stacked one on top of another, while still allowing access to the knobs and buttons for adjustments here and there.

* Although these units have no room correction capabilities> this is a feature most AV receivers are capable of now days compared to 4 years ago etc.
post #28 of 118 Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Couldn't wait any longer.
post #29 of 118 Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^

You gotta do what you gotta do.

I'm sure the new JLA subs will not disappoint.

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #30 of 118 Old 08-23-2012, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingdaz View Post

I've heard that 2 units / models will come close to the Fathom line within +/- 3db across the spec range> and possibly be +4db louder ~ (with 2 units). I see it being a fair trade off since IMO dual sub setups always create a fuller sound compared to single setup> resulting in a more deeper soundstage and enveloping acoustics.
I like the simple compact design of the box and amp> It seems that the way the Knobs and buttons are positioned on the amps> makes it capable of them being stacked one on top of another, while still allowing access to the knobs and buttons for adjustments here and there.
* Although these units have no room correction capabilities> this is a feature most AV receivers are capable of now days compared to 4 years ago etc.

OK, however, dual E112's will cost quite a bit more than a Submersive HP. I would take the Submersive HP over dual E112's any day,.as much as Iike the E112.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page