Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
+1
I agree nube, I prefer to spend the extra $$ (especially when it comes to bass) to keep the upgrade bug away as long as possible.
Lately I bought so much HT/electronics gear the wife now asks me "how long will you keep this one?" If I've done my research and reached up to the highest tier I can justify then the answer is usually more than 5 years.
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 01-16-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
OP here.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I think I have reached a decision to buy the Epik Empire. Avarice says it hits deep at mid to low volumes and I believe him. It seems to be the lowest cost of all the subs, also the heaviest and with the biggest amp.

If I was to get the Rhythmik it would be the 15-HO with the 600 watt amplifier, but that is the same price as the JTR Captivator (no amp). HSU has a great reputation and flexiblity but to be honest it's just not blowing me away. I wish I could audition all of these subs but I cant. If the Empire turns put to be inadequate I will sell it and get a Captivator.
post #33 of 41 Old 01-16-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarysoldier View Post

OP here.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I think I have reached a decision to buy the Epik Empire. Avarice says it hits deep at mid to low volumes and I believe him. It seems to be the lowest cost of all the subs, also the heaviest and with the biggest amp.

If I was to get the Rhythmik it would be the 15-HO with the 600 watt amplifier, but that is the same price as the JTR Captivator (no amp). HSU has a great reputation and flexiblity but to be honest it's just not blowing me away. I wish I could audition all of these subs but I cant. If the Empire turns put to be inadequate I will sell it and get a Captivator.

Obviously you can choose whatever you want, but I wanted to clear up a few misconceptions from your post.

First, the Empire doesn't "hit deep" at any volumes. Deep is usually defined as 20hz and below. The Empire can go to 20hz with some authority, and perhaps 16hz with less authority, but it simply won't go lower than that. Tests prove it.

Also, weight is not nearly that important for a dual-opposed sub design - the design eliminates most cabinet vibration worries. Weight is also not an indicator of quality: MDF is considerably heavier (and less expensive) than void-free Baltic Birch, yet both are used frequently in building subs.

Amp output is another thing to take with a grain of salt. Both the Epik Empire and the Rythmik FV15HP (not the 15-HO you quoted) amps are rated at 600W RMS. I can't say if one is better than the other, but there have been quite a few problems with the Epik Empire's amps failing reported in the last two months. On the other side, Rythmik has had an amp shortage for several months.

The one other thing I wanted to point out is that you incorrectly stated the Rythmik FV15HP's model number and price. The Rythmik FV15HP's base price is $1199 + shipping. The Empire's base price is $799+ shipping. The passive 2011 Captivator's price is $1499 + shipping + amp.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy whatever decision you make!
post #34 of 41 Old 01-16-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

OP again.

Well it looks like I'm going to get the CAP after all. I just won't be able to eat for a month. Any advice on a amp to drive that baby? Behringer EP4000? inuke nu6000?
post #35 of 41 Old 01-16-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

OP again.

Well it looks like I'm going to get the CAP after all. I just won't be able to eat for a month. Any advice on a amp to drive that baby? Behringer EP4000? inuke nu6000?

Awesome choice. Everyone here will say get as much sub as you can. That's very good advice.

I acccept all friend requests with AVS in the message. Add me!!

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian

Xbox One = The Barbeerian
post #36 of 41 Old 01-16-2012, 07:24 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

OP again.

Just curious if you read the KC Blind sub thread. The Cap S got rave reviews and its current intro price is not much more than the Cap once the amp is added in

One thing to consider with the passive / pro amp solution is that it can get things a little more complicated. You may need to get a separate high pass filter for instance (would talk to Jeff to see if that's the case, or maybe someone can chime in). Pro amps can also be noisy. On the JTR forum Jeff has a post comparing his subs in terms of relative strengths-worth a look if you haven't seen it. I would also talk to him about what you're looking for and see what he recommends before making any final decisions.
post #37 of 41 Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

I did read the KC blind shootout and the Cap S looks great.

However it would end up being several hundred more in my case and I already am way over budget.

I ended up getting a Behringer EP4000 to power the Cap and i have my fingers crossed.
post #38 of 41 Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

Obviously you can choose whatever you want, but I wanted to clear up a few misconceptions from your post.

First, the Empire doesn't "hit deep" at any volumes. Deep is usually defined as 20hz and below. The Empire can go to 20hz with some authority, and perhaps 16hz with less authority, but it simply won't go lower than that. Tests prove it.

Also, weight is not nearly that important for a dual-opposed sub design - the design eliminates most cabinet vibration worries. Weight is also not an indicator of quality: MDF is considerably heavier (and less expensive) than void-free Baltic Birch, yet both are used frequently in building subs.

Amp output is another thing to take with a grain of salt. Both the Epik Empire and the Rythmik FV15HP (not the 15-HO you quoted) amps are rated at 600W RMS. I can't say if one is better than the other, but there have been quite a few problems with the Epik Empire's amps failing reported in the last two months. On the other side, Rythmik has had an amp shortage for several months.

The one other thing I wanted to point out is that you incorrectly stated the Rythmik FV15HP's model number and price. The Rythmik FV15HP's base price is $1199 + shipping. The Empire's base price is $799+ shipping. The passive 2011 Captivator's price is $1499 + shipping + amp.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy whatever decision you make!

Why is it that the Empire always does very well in HT (movies) shootouts, in the latest one, it even beat VTF-15 , and the 2 brother shootout it was claimed if i remember correctly as having the most impact for Movies??
Another was a comparison of the FV12 vs Legend in same room for Movies and the person said Legend played lower and louder ??
post #39 of 41 Old 01-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Exclusively Servo

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

Another was a comparison of the FV12 vs Legend in same room for Movies and the person said Legend played lower and louder ??

How about an counter example:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdercole View Post

i own the rythmik fv12, it is an awesome sub. It is very tight and musical, and it digs real hard for the demanding lfe signals. The legend has more output because it has the extra woofer but i am telling you it will not dig as hard, this fv12 will take everything you throw at it and beg for more.

post #40 of 41 Old 01-20-2012, 12:18 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by randyc1 View Post

And as you already noted, the person still preferred the sound of the FV-12.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=24

Salk SongTowers-RAAL / SongCenter-RAAL / SongSurrounds; Rythmik F12 (x2); Denon AVR-4520CI; D-Sonic M2-800S; Oppo BDP93; Panny 65VT50; Schiit Audio Valhalla; Sennheiser HD600; BJC everywhere
WDTV Live Hub; Xbox 360; Chromecast; Harmony One; Furman Elite-15 PFi; Omnimic v2 & REW; CalMAN 5 HT; i1 Display Pro 3; i1 Pro2; Salamander Designs Synergy
post #41 of 41 Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Exclusively Servo

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by laulau View Post

And as you already noted, the person still preferred the sound of the FV-12.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...4&postcount=24

Thanks for the post. Actually that person returned the Legend and told me in a PM. First, I didn't even realize this before I read the post you linked. And second, I don't really want to post this as it serves no one good. We don't need this to increase sales. But if another similar misinformation floats again, please relay this "new" information.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page