post #31 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey79 View Post

I hear you; that's exactly what I'm hearing ... detailed crisp & accuracy ... and I'm also seeing a lot of recommendations for Rythmik; it's growing.

If by any chance you happen to pull the trigger & recieve the Rythmik before I make my purchase (I'm basically waiting for sale on Outlaw or B-Stock availability) ... please come back here & post feedback on your Sub. Thanks.

I don't think the Q Tuning or additional tuning options would sway me; I'm coming from HTiB subs ... no options!! I still have to learn how to setup and tune my sub, so the less options the better! But I understand your point ... VTF3 MK4 may have slight edge over EX.

And I can relate ... I'm vehemently refreshing the B-Stock page on Outlaw because I really would like to score the EX (or Plus) on those $574 or $499 Shipped prices - despite the "B" stock. Even if I were to want a VTF3 MK4, if I could get those B-Stock (or Sale) prices on Outlaw - I'd go for Outlaw. Every penny saved is a penny earned. My wife is adamantly opposed to B-Stock ... she wants to pay full retail $738 shipped for the EX today; I'm trying so hard to keep her at bay & wait. Somebody also mentioned checking out if Outlaw puts out a sale around Super Bowl weekend.

Thanks.

Your situation is just so whacked...haha Should be the opposite way ! Even though I would've wanted to get a VTF 3 (im close to Hsu so support wouldn't be far) I stil ended up getting dual EXs lol

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Your situation is just so whacked...haha Should be the opposite way ! Even though I would've wanted to get a VTF 3 (im close to Hsu so support wouldn't be far) I stil ended up getting dual EXs lol

Dual EX's ... ummm .... *drool*
I hope to boast the same someday ... I'll start with one but will surely add a 2nd one in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Isn't the down firing design considered to be inferior, or at least have some considerations that a side/front firing sub doesn't have to deal with?

Can someone comment on this? I have no idea about this & would like to know myself.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Intel Sandy Bridge 3D HTPC / Blu-ray Player
post #33 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:

I hear you; that's exactly what I'm hearing ... detailed crisp & accuracy ... and I'm also seeing a lot of recommendations for Rythmik; it's growing.

If by any chance you happen to pull the trigger & recieve the Rythmik before I make my purchase (I'm basically waiting for sale on Outlaw or B-Stock availability) ... please come back here & post feedback on your Sub. Thanks.

Thanks.

Ya i will do
post #34 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Quote:

Isn't the down firing design considered to be inferior . . .

Nope. Some people say they can hear a difference; others say there is not scientific evidence to support a difference in audio quality. However, one advantage of down firing is that it tends to mask any port chuffing that might happen if the subwoofer is pushed hard. That, and for people that have toddlers, it's great not to have woofers and ports for prying fingers, candy, matchbox cars, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, etc

post #35 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Nope. Some people say they can hear a difference; others say there is not scientific evidence to support a difference in audio quality. However, one advantage of down firing is that it tends to mask any port chuffing that might happen if the subwoofer is pushed hard. That, and for people that have toddlers, it's great not to have woofers and ports for prying fingers, candy, matchbox cars, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, etc

Awesome!! Thanks.

7.1: Polk RTi12 Fronts, RTi8 Surrounds, Monitor70 Surround Backs, CSi A6 Center + Outlaw LFM-1 EX Subwoofer.
Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #36 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Awesome!! Thanks.

Do you mean just say no to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches down a sub port?

post #37 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I find spiders all the time in my ports haha

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #38 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 12:37 PM

Where can you get the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus for $449 shipped at this time?

I absolutely love mine and am looking for a second.
post #39 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeycannoli View Post

Where can you get the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus for $449 shipped at this time?

I absolutely love mine and am looking for a second.

You can't as far as I know. B-Stock is the only place you get it for that price but it's SOLD OUT right now. I have my eyes peeled on that page.

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #40 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

...if Direct Servo is that good - why is it that not that many people recommend FV12 (Or any other Direct Servo Sub) over subs like Outlaw, HSU ...

The answer is because so few people have even had the opportunity to listen to any model Rythmik ever! let alone such a new model as the FV12. They have no idea what its sound signature is. Human nature dictates that people will simply recommend whatever it is they own and not what they don't have, much less have never listened to. I mean think about it now, do you really suppose many people would recommend a sub to you that they themselves have never even heard? I have a couple Rythmik F12's and this much I can tell you for sure... you've never heard any other sub before that sounds like a Rythmik... now whether that's good or bad is for you to decide. You might want to consider that Rythmiks practically never show up on the used market and according to Brian rarely is one ever returned after purchase. I translate that to satisfied customers.

Everyone seems to have a different expectation for what a sub should be. So... bottom line: I suggest you take any recommendations you get on these forums with a grain of salt... everyone (including me) is biased in some way. Good luck on your decision.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #41 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 03:29 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:

I thought I remember reading that there were some considerations, and here is one person's opinion, anyway:

Quote:

But I would like to clarify, in my opinion, when front firing subwoofer is a better choice than down firing. First, the subfloor needs to be solid to use downfiring. The main consideration is the acoustic energy coupled to the subfloor. If it is concrete, that will not happen at all. If the subfloor is wood, however, you can pick a location that is solid beneath it (such as wall support, bean....), that would also acceptable. If the subfloor is really weak, one may even need to raise the subwoofer to reduce the energy coupling to the floor. It is not just a difference between front firing and down firing. Second, the crossover point cannot be too high. If you plan to crossover at 80hz, some people can hear the difference between front firing and downfiring and you may be one of them.

post #42 of 66 Old 01-18-2012, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought I remember reading that there were some considerations, and here is one person's opinion, anyway:

Maybe you are right. I was just going off some of the other discussions I've heard. Notice the major effect there is a room acoustic issue which could be corrected with a riser.

post #43 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:

You can't as far as I know. B-Stock is the only place you get it for that price but it's SOLD OUT right now. I have my eyes peeled on that page.

It's not the Plus, (and it's not B-stock) but Outlaw is having a sale on the EX for $549 shipped! Just FYI...

Ugh, I didn't want to spend that much, but not sure I'll be able to resist that price...

Is it really THAT much better than my BIC Acoustech H100? (don't answer that!)
post #44 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 08:23 AM

Trust me, take an extra week to save a few more dollars and get the best you can. I lived on PB&Js for a week so I could step up to a pair of B&W CM5s instead of CM1s (true story).
post #45 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwood23 View Post

It's not the Plus, (and it's not B-stock) but Outlaw is having a sale on the EX for $549 shipped! Just FYI...

Ugh, I didn't want to spend that much, but not sure I'll be able to resist that price...

Is it really THAT much better than my BIC Acoustech H100? (don't answer that!)

What? The EX will make you fly to BIC's headquarters and slap their CEO in the face for making you think you had a subwoofer in the H100

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #46 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ORDERED!!!!

OMG!!! I just saw the sale ... LFM-1 EX for $549 SHIPPED!! I actually got an email from Outlaw cause I had signed up for their promos & stuff. This is better then B-Stock. I can't believe this. I had been waiting for this A LONG time.

Wife is actually contemplating ordering a 2nd one while it's on this $549 shipped sale to complete our .2 configuration. But I know for sure we can't drop $1K+ right now ... I'll just start off with my 7.1 and maybe when they have this sale next time ... in October 2012 or January 2013 ... I'll get the 2nd one.

As soon as I have it & all setup --- I'll post back to relate my experiences. I'll probably be in the Outlaw Owner's thread for checking out setup/tuning & all.

This is END OF DISCUSSION. Price beat it all at the end of day. Thanks so much guys for contributing. I learned a heck a lot more then before I had made this thread.

THANK YOU.

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #47 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

ORDERED!!!!

OMG!!! I just saw the sale ... LFM-1 EX for $549 SHIPPED!! I actually got an email from Outlaw cause I had signed up for their promos & stuff. This is better then B-Stock. I can't believe this. I had been waiting for this A LONG time.

Wife is actually contemplating ordering a 2nd one while it's on this $549 shipped sale to complete our .2 configuration. But I know for sure we can't drop $1K+ right now ... I'll just start off with my 7.1 and maybe when they have this sale next time ... in October 2012 or January 2013 ... I'll get the 2nd one.

As soon as I have it & all setup --- I'll post back to relate my experiences. I'll probably be in the Outlaw Owner's thread for checking out setup/tuning & all.

This is END OF DISCUSSION. Price beat it all at the end of day. Thanks so much guys for contributing. I learned a heck a lot more then before I had made this thread.

THANK YOU.

We're all vicariously excited for you

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #48 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviormachine View Post

we're all vicariously excited for you :d

:d

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #49 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 272
post #50 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

I am thinking of ordering an EX!! it is on till 1/30

I would do it man; this is cheaper then B-Stock of the same model. And this is the EX .. not Plus. Doesn't get any better.

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
post #51 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ORDERED!!!!

THANK YOU.

2 ex's is godlike! Your wife is thinking of the right idea

post #52 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

ORDERED!!!!

THANK YOU.

I saw this thread knowing the sale was on. I read, hoping you hadn't made a purchase. Thank God!!! You got the sale!!! Buy the second.

I purchased a Plus last month during the $499 shipped sale. Pretty sure I'm going to grab an EX, now. Don't need it, want it.

Buy two. They are the perfect size for end tables. Buy two. Who knows when the next sale will be.

I do wish I could have got two EX's for $1100 instead of a Plus and an EX for $1050. The Plus is great, but damn, only $50.

post #53 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikerret View Post

. . . Don't need it, want it.

Isn't that true for all the audio equipment we buy?

post #54 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Isn't that true for all the audio equipment we buy?

No, absolutely not!!!!! I refuse to accept that

post #55 of 66 Old 01-20-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would do it man; this is cheaper then B-Stock of the same model. And this is the EX .. not Plus. Doesn't get any better.

Yes, please report back, as it's NOW on my radar for a friend. I can't imagine you not liking it though.
post #56 of 66 Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure this question is beat to death, but which would be a better fit for me, the plus or the EX? I believe they are both $549? I am just running a simple 5.1 system, with 4 very decent bookshelves and the same with the center! I don't want wireless! I am tossing up if I should order or not!
post #57 of 66 Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm sure this question is beat to death, but which would be a better fit for me, the plus or the EX? I believe they are both $549? I am just running a simple 5.1 system, with 4 very decent bookshelves and the same with the center! I don't want wireless! I am tossing up if I should order or not!

The Plus and the EX have the same driver and the same amplifier. The difference is that the EX has a larger enclosure, which gives it additional SPL (volume output) and allows it to go a touch lower in frequency response. If the larger size of the EX is not a problem for you, then you should go for it at the $549 price without the wireless. I think you have to pay shipping on the Plus $549 price, so why pay more for a sub that has a little less performance?

post #58 of 66 Old 01-21-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Plus and the EX have the same driver and the same amplifier. The difference is that the EX has a larger enclosure, which gives it additional SPL (volume output) and allows it to go a touch lower in frequency response. If the larger size of the EX is not a problem for you, then you should go for it at the $549 price without the wireless. I think you have to pay shipping on the Plus $549 price, so why pay more for a sub that has a little less performance?

Thanks, I don't care how big it is! The wife will decorate it if it to obnoxiously big! Again I am tossing this up and the EX will be my pick if I do it!
post #59 of 66 Old 01-21-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, I don't care how big it is! The wife will decorate it if it to obnoxiously big! Again I am tossing this up and the EX will be my pick if I do it!

It has a shiny black plexiglass top. It will scratch very easily, but you could get a piece of glass cut with polished edges to cover it and turn it into an end table

post #60 of 66 Old 01-21-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It has a shiny black plexiglass top. It will scratch very easily, but you could get a piece of glass cut with polished edges to cover it and turn it into an end table

Love that one

Yamaha RX-A2000 AVR
Epson 5010 3D Projector
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers , Hsu Vtf2 Mk4

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page