post #61 of 535 Old 02-01-2012, 10:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

Exactly, and those capable with and own eq may appreciate that option...

The other thing I forgot to mention is a sealed design such as this requires tons of power, EP4000 and the like need not apply. It's nothing like under powering the ported Cap. where you just lose a couple dB of output. If you do not have enough power for a high performance sealed design like this, it will not be able to reach as low as it is intended and definately not near as loud (and not just a couple of dBs). So if someone does under power the sealed Cap, that is going to reflect on Jeffs product and his reputation because it will not sound as he intended it to.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 535 Old 02-02-2012, 06:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicFirst View Post

The other thing I forgot to mention is a sealed design such as this requires tons of power, EP4000 and the like need not apply. It's nothing like under powering the ported Cap. where you just lose a couple dB of output. If you do not have enough power for a high performance sealed design like this, it will not be able to reach as low as it is intended and definately not near as loud (and not just a couple of dBs). So if someone does under power the sealed Cap, that is going to reflect on Jeffs product and his reputation because it will not sound as he intended it to.....

Introducing the LG clone amps. Done.

I'm just saying there are some out there that maybe would consider his product, minus the amp cost, rather than doing DIY.

-Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #63 of 535 Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'm just saying there are some out there that maybe would consider his product, minus the amp cost, rather than doing DIY.

I don't think I said they don't exist (just eluding to the fact that they are not as cheap as the EP4000's of the world)...

Just because there are amps that will do the job, does not mean that people are going to use them. All I am saying is since Jeff cannot control what amps people use with a passive version and how capable they might be to properly implement EQ, that he may be hesitant to make it available....
In other words it might be more headache than he wants to deal with.

That said, I am perfectly aware that some people might want to do a "hybrid" DIY project with his product. No argument there. Just saying there is a "flip side to that coin" for Jeff to consider. I have no interest either way. Fact is, I have two of his ported Caps that are passive right now, so I get it. Just trying to say there is also an argument for Jeff not to offer a passive version that is all....

I remember him also eluding to this fact when the Caps S first came out, so I'm guessing his stance will not change on the S2. But, if there is enough demand, like I said before "money talks"...
post #64 of 535 Old 02-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Señor Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal87 View Post

T8-LP LCR and Slanted 8 surrounds. Actually, not really big as far as a JTR setup, but all I can fit in my room.

That is very cool and should be great system for HT and M/C music. What are you using for power and do you still have the Sim2 Lumis? Also, what speakers did you have before? Is this a new system?

Sorry for all the questions ...

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #65 of 535 Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Señor Member

Quote:

I understand you solved the fan noise problem ...

post #66 of 535 Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

I understand you solved the fan noise problem ...

Yeah, all you have to do is plug it in....as our chinese friends say...."so you no worry!"

-Greg

post #67 of 535 Old 02-02-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've been pretty much working non-stop lately, so I have spent less than one hour trying out the Cap S. It is clearly a significant upgrade from the SVS SB13+ that I was using most recently, but that is not a shock. Might sound a little strange, but I have little desire right now to do any listening or movie watching until I get the rest of the speakers.

Still with the Lumis, but also have a Optoma HD33 right above it for 3D viewing. I am using a Denon 4311 alone, which should be adequate for my needs - have the Pro kit too which I have not gotten around to try out yet.
post #68 of 535 Old 02-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Señor Member

Quote:

I've been pretty much working non-stop lately, so I have spent less than one hour trying out the Cap S. It is clearly a significant upgrade from the SVS SB13+ that I was using most recently, but that is not a shock. Might sound a little strange, but I have little desire right now to do any listening or movie watching until I get the rest of the speakers.

Still with the Lumis, but also have a Optoma HD33 right above it for 3D viewing. I am using a Denon 4311 alone, which should be adequate for my needs - have the Pro kit too which I have not gotten around to try out yet.

All work and no play ...

Looking forward to your take on the speakers.

post #69 of 535 Old 02-02-2012, 08:57 PM

Quote:

T8-LP LCR and Slanted 8 surrounds. Actually, not really big as far as a JTR setup, but all I can fit in my room.

Sounds like we are doing much the same thing. I'm waiting on some stain samples to choose the look for a CapS, T8-HT for LCR, and Slanted 8s for surrounds...

One thing that wasn't clear to me from Jeff's website was that you can order the subs in the same finishes as everything else - not that I'm trying to push anyone over the edge or anything...

Jay
post #70 of 535 Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
does the dual driver sealed have more output than a ported cap?
post #71 of 535 Old 02-04-2012, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

All work and no play ...

Makes Jane a rich widow
post #72 of 535 Old 02-05-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfromcanada View Post

does the dual driver sealed have more output than a ported cap?

Are we talking single ported cap to the dual sealed? If so, most certainly yes. I got to hear dual ported Caps vs. dual sealed Caps and they had about the same output. The ported Cap may have had a little more output, but it was very close. I think I rated the ported Cap only 2 points ahead of the sealed in my movie totals.
post #73 of 535 Old 02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlelandj View Post

Are we talking single ported cap to the dual sealed? If so, most certainly yes. I got to hear dual ported Caps vs. dual sealed Caps and they had about the same output. The ported Cap may have had a little more output, but it was very close. I think I rated the ported Cap only 2 points ahead of the sealed in my movie totals.

Keep in mind though that you can get much more powerful amps for the ported
Cap than the inuke amp that was used in the GTG.

Still, I was really surprised at how much output those little sealed Caps could put out. Very impressive.

post #74 of 535 Old 02-09-2012, 06:49 PM

Any updates? Anyone else receive theirs? Hopefully mine will ship out tomorrow because this wait is painful!
post #75 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I ordered 2 S2's. There not shipping for two weeks. Can't wait to get them and see what they can do. Your right the wait is killer.
post #76 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 677
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlelandj View Post

We weren't running any of the big dog subs at max volume during the audition matérial. Only the orbit shifter really got to stretch its legs at the meet. The cap has the exact same driver as the orbit shifter so don't count what you heard at preset volumes the limits of its preformance. Read the 2011 KC subwoofer meet review to see what a powered cap given 4000 watts provided as far as entertainment!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"

post #77 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

Iam liking the look of the new sealed dual driver...seriuosly given thought about going this route...gotta have more output then the submersive hp and maybe the better value out there right now...wonder how heavy and how much too ship...would work perfect underneath my t12 center and would replace my dual a7s-650's.
post #78 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop View Post

Iam liking the look of the new sealed dual driver...seriuosly given thought about going this route...gotta have more output then the submersive hp and maybe the better value out there right now...wonder how heavy and how much too ship...would work perfect underneath my t12 center and would replace my dual a7s-650's.

Where are you seeing a pic of the S2? I looked on JTR's forum but no joy. I may be just having one of those days though. Thanks.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #79 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowmanick View Post

Where are you seeing a pic of the S2? I looked on JTR's forum but no joy. I may be just having one of those days though. Thanks.

Post #44 in this thread, "S2".

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
post #80 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrischestnut60 View Post

Post #44 in this thread, "S2".

Thanks, but I was asking about a picture of the S2 as mrcoop said he is liking the "look" of the S2. Thant link, at least from my computer, takes me to Jeff's forum which has the info and states "Pictures coming soon." That's why I asked where mrcoop was able to see a picture.

~Nick

Augustine's Law: "The last 10% of performance generates one-third of the cost and two-thirds of the problems."

post #81 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 439
I concur with Nick. There are no pics of the Captivator S2 anywhere that I can see.

post #82 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

What i meant by look are whats in it and driving it. As far as looks, its really nothing but 2 singles crammed together. The height is basically doubled to accomadate the extra driver.
post #83 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 PM

Location: Left of the right coast and right of the left coast.
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post

I concur with Nick. There are no pics of the Captivator S2 anywhere that I can see.

Look at the picture in this link. http://s1191.photobucket.com/albums/...t=IMGP1799.jpg Almost as if someone had an idea of what was coming!
post #84 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 09:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcoop View Post

No question the Cap S2 will have more output than a Submersive HP, I think the single Cap S rivals the Submersive acutally in sheer output. If you have dual A7S-650's it would be pretty cool to have a head to head between the S2 and a 650.
post #85 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Here's a slightly doctored Cap S2 photo:
LL
post #86 of 535 Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

good job!
post #87 of 535 Old 02-11-2012, 04:14 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Did they remove the pic from the link? I thought I saw a pic of the S2.

Politics is like religion. You never know who you serve.
post #88 of 535 Old 02-11-2012, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Will the CapS beat the SubM HP? 18" vs 2x15"
post #89 of 535 Old 02-11-2012, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post

Will the CapS beat the SubM HP? 18" vs 2x15"

These are going to be very similar in performance. Check out Archaea's 2012 GTG as we got to listen to duals of this very question blinded. They compared fairly even...

-Greg

post #90 of 535 Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

Don't forget that Mark is coming out with the SubMersive XL, which is going to have dual opposed 18's, sealed, powered with 6000 watts.
As per Mark, "Since I'm already seeing questions about pricing, I'm still expecting somewhere between $3495-4295 plus veneer options depending on the specific option I settle on. To be clear, this is a 2012 product, and no, I'm not taking orders on them yet!"

Can't wait!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Subwoofers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page