AVS Forum banner

JTR Captivator S (Sealed)

Tags
subwoofers
75K views 588 replies 122 participants last post by  Jeff Permanian 
#1 ·

Specs as taken from JTR Forum:

+/-1db 22hz-104hz ground plane (-6db at 15hz, with built in 110hz lowpass)

21" x 21" x 16.25" deep (16.75" with grill)

Heavily braced 1" thick Baltic Birch cabinet

DSP optimised 2400 watt RMS class D amplifier

XLR balanced input

Magnetically attached, fabric covered grill

Rubber feet

MSRP $2999

Internet Direct $2299

New Introductory Offer of $1999 January 16th thur shipping Jan 23th.

Introductory price is one time only, payment in full, limited quantities, first come/first serve and no other discounts apply.

There were first shown at the KC Blind GTG held January 14, 2012.

They faired well and placed high in listener reviews and scoring tabulations.

I am torn between duals of these or the progression of a DIY project.

Discuss!

See less See more
#4 ·
I got this itch now...

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 /forum/post/21501468

Or a pair of LMS's with your LG clone would be KILLER Greg.

I already have the pair of Pi-18 (UXL-18) almost in hand. LG clone in hand.

After I order the second clone amp and pair of drivers when Mach5 is producing them regularly I should have a pseudo half not.

Is it worth it?

These Cap S subs look beautiful and performed awesome!

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/21501719

After I order the second clone amp and pair of drivers when Mach5 is producing them regularly I should have a pseudo half not.

Is it worth it?

If the Pi-18's are anywhere near the 5400s you won't be upgrading anytime soon. For the sake of my ears and house I'm certainly not!

#7 ·
I am also giving these a strong consideration after looking at how I scored them third in music and third in movies so it was very consistently an amazing sub for me.

After you factor in price and size it is very tempting. I can easily see a pair of these sitting in my HT. The smaller size gives me several placement options which I love in case I run into trouble with my room.

It is a tough choice for me between my top 3 which were the SubM, Cap S, and Orbit Shifter. I do think I will be purchasing one or several of these for my large 5000 cu ft space and the dual Cap S are kinda sorta easy on the budget while the others are certainly not.

#8 ·
Cap S is only "kinda sorta" easier on the budget (relative to the SubM) if you order today. Think fast

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant /forum/post/21501796

I am also giving these a strong consideration after looking at how I scored them third in music and third in movies so it was very consistently an amazing sub for me.

After you factor in price and size it is very tempting. I can easily see a pair of these sitting in my HT. The smaller size gives me several placement options which I love in case I run into trouble with my room.

It is a tough choice for me between my top 3 which were the SubM, Cap S, and Orbit Shifter. I do think I will be purchasing one or several of these for my large 5000 cu ft space and the dual Cap S are kinda sorta easy on the budget while the others are certainly not.

You scored the Cap Pro's higher than the sealed in music by a bit and movies by more. From a quick look I think it was your 2nd highest rated sub overall. Just sayin'... in case someone out there decides to sell theirs...

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/21501719

Is it worth it?

Well build them already so i can get your input!

On a side note there's a very good chance I'l pick up a pair submersive HP's at the end of the month.

#12 ·
As a ported Cap owner, I'd really love to hear a pair of these just to hear the differences. It would also be cool to see a passive version for those already with capable amps to drive them.
In such a case you could run a bridged clone amp on each one at 8 ohm mono! Overkill? Meh, it's headroom.

Husker - I can't imagine you'd be disappointed with these, but since you already have the DIY stuff on hand, why not give that a whack first? You could just build/use the first set of subs and the single LG clone to determine if you like them enough, correct?

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp /forum/post/21501854

You scored the Cap Pro's higher than the sealed in music by a bit and movies by more. From a quick look I think it was your 2nd highest rated sub overall. Just sayin'... in case someone out there decides to sell theirs...

I did score the cap pro 1 point higher than the cap s in music and a few points higher in movies. But, I think my placement options would be too limited for the Cap Pro's and I don't think I could get over the fact that I am giving up extension when I don't need too. Meaning that after buying duals of the Cap S I would have plenty of output and extension as well. Cost is similar enough between them so I would buy the Cap S before the Cap Pro.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha /forum/post/21501415

Specs as taken from JTR Forum:

+/-1db 22hz-104hz ground plane (-6db at 15hz, with built in 110hz lowpass)

21" x 21" x 16.25" deep (16.75" with grill)

Heavily braced 1" thick Baltic Birch cabinet

DSP optimised 2400 watt RMS class D amplifier

XLR balanced input

Magnetically attached, fabric covered grill

Rubber feet

MSRP $2999

Internet Direct $2299

New Introductory Offer of $1999 January 16th thur shipping Jan 23th.

Introductory price is one time only, payment in full, limited quantities, first come/first serve and no other discounts apply.

There were first shown at the KC Blind GTG held January 14, 2012.

They faired well and placed high in listener reviews and scoring tabulations.

I am torn between duals of these or the progression of a DIY project.

Discuss!

Just curious as to why you are considering a pair of Cap S's rather than a pair of Submersives. Didn't you prefer the Submersives more? Is it the smaller size?

#22 ·
I would love to hear this in direct comparison to the JL Fathom F113 as far as musicality. I have no doubt the JTR would stomp the 113 on sheer output, but not every listening session is "Skadoosh" or BHD. If the JTR can hang with the JL musically (no need to beat it, just keep pace because the JL IS impressive musically) I think the Audio world may have a new "best" small subwoofer. The JL takes up only 2.2 square feet of floor space while the JTR requires 2.44 (all while housing an 18" woofer!!).

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Dubb /forum/post/21503455

Just to confirm, does this plug into a standard wall outlet?

I also assume that it would not be recommended on a shared 15 amp circuit. Will there be a cap S 1000 by chance?

I'm sure you could certainly run one and perhaps two of these off of a single 15 amp circuit. I remember Mark Seaton saying that two of the 4kw amps could be run off of a single 20 amp line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.