post #181 of 248 Old 05-13-2012, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Isn't that like $4k worth of drivers (not to mention the cost of cabinets and amps) for each corner? If you ever put over $20k worth of subwoofage in your house, I know where the next local meet will be.

Jon's friend hamut (I think that's how you spell it) talked me out of buying a pj for now. Was going to use those "funds" for the subs for now . Plus the funds if I sell my quad ex's. 2k easily . (3 bnib and one used barely)

The enclosures I was going to get built by eD. I think eric said it was like 400ish shipped each. 1600ish + 4000ish. Maybe.....
Ill just start with 2....

Edit: oh wait I forgot...a lone ep2500 won't be able to power em....hmmm....reality....hmmm...maybe ill sell a liver....

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 248 Old 05-13-2012, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Was considering doing quad lms5400s for each corner but threads like this make me change my mind again. I do want "musical" performance!

Keep in mind that the 5400s were only duals and they shook the crap out of Nick's massive open downstairs (I'm guessing it was at least 10,000 cu ft). I bet quads in a sealed dedicated HT would be frightening .

I would've liked to hear more music with the Seaton and LMS as it was mainly movies. It was crazy how the Seaton was shaking everything but you couldn't feel a thing if you put your hand on it.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #183 of 248 Old 05-13-2012, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Quote:

Jon's friend hamut (I think that's how you spell it) talked me out of buying a pj for now. Was going to use those "funds" for the subs for now . Plus the funds if I sell my quad ex's. 2k easily . (3 bnib and one used barely)

The enclosures I was going to get built by eD. I think eric said it was like 400ish shipped each. 1600ish + 4000ish. Maybe.....

Edit: oh wait I forgot...a lone ep2500 won't be able to power em....hmmm....reality....hmmm...maybe ill sell a liver....

Do like I did bro. Start with a pair first then build as cash permits. Believe me a pair will put a big smile on your face.
post #184 of 248 Old 05-13-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt7153 View Post

Keep in mind that the 5400s were only duals and they shook the crap out of Nick's massive open downstairs (I'm guessing it was at least 10,000 cu ft). I bet quads in a sealed dedicated HT would be frightening .

I would've liked to hear more music with the Seaton and LMS as it was mainly movies. It was crazy how the Seaton was shaking everything but you couldn't feel a thing if you put your hand on it.

You reading this Eric? Run your lms hoooooottttt! No I'm jk lol wouldn't want to crack the foundation. Were you running yours all off of one lg clone? Or did you get another clone?

Its a shame I missed the meet. Wanted to hear some music on both. Don't get me wrong, I love movies but I find myself listening to music more so I need to figure which sub would do justice for my music!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #185 of 248 Old 05-13-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked: 623
Quote:

Jon's friend hamut (I think that's how you spell it)

Helmut (like the kind you wore on your head when you were in the service).
Quote:

For each corner? Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire a live-in drummer?

Sanjay
post #186 of 248 Old 05-13-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Helmut (like the kind you wore on your head when you were in the service). For each corner? Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire a live-in drummer?

post #187 of 248 Old 05-13-2012, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread needs some pictures

post #188 of 248 Old 05-13-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You reading this Eric? Run your lms hoooooottttt! No I'm jk lol wouldn't want to crack the foundation. Were you running yours all off of one lg clone? Or did you get another clone?

Its a shame I missed the meet. Wanted to hear some music on both. Don't get me wrong, I love movies but I find myself listening to music more so I need to figure which sub would do justice for my music!

Even though I have the 4 subs built, I'm only running 1 pair right now until I get the second amp. If things work out I'm hoping to order it this week. We'll see.
post #189 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

..............I love movies but I find myself listening to music more so I need to figure which sub would do justice for my music!

Sorry that I also could not make it either. (Still out of town) I have Seatons across the front (Cat12C's as LCR & Two SubM's in ~2300CFM room) & I listen to a lot of music. (I find the Seatons very musical)

--Carl
post #190 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

For each corner? Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire a live-in drummer?

Yeah. He could also use alternative drivers for half the price yet same performance.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #191 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Yeah. He could also use alternative drivers for half the price yet same performance.

Do tell

post #192 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:

Do tell

There are more than one way to skin a ....cat? No. Nobody should ever do such a thing. Kitties are awesome.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #193 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by calentz View Post

Sorry that I also could not make it either. (Still out of town) I have Seatons across the front (Cat12C's as LCR & Two SubM's in ~2300CFM room) & I listen to a lot of music. (I find the Seatons very musical)

I just wanted to note that I never meant to say any of the subs were not musical. What I meant to say is that they would be a bit of an overkill for most music.
post #194 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
im bias but i find the jbl w15gti are hard to beat, but they are not lms and certainly not the prices either.
post #195 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Thanks go to Nick for having us over. Very gracious of you to host AND provide lunch. Your two subs frankensubs sounded good to me.

Here is my account of the gtg from my brief listening sessions. I spent a lot of the time trying to figure out REW and the MiniDSP in the adjacent room.

The first of the subs to be tested was the Submersive HP. As everyone had mentioned previously, this thing was a beast. We just plugged it in and let it rip. It is definitely one amazing sub. Being able to hear it was worth the trip.

Next up was my Revel B15a. Well, what can I say? How can any sub follow the Submersive and not sound anemic? I had no idea the how big the room is or else I wouldn't have bothered bringing the Revel. It had no chance of being effective in that size room. Another poster had mentioned that it did well with music and I will have to agree, but not was well as the Rythmic though.

Speaking of Rythmic, that was next in line. Much better than my Revel for HT use and possibly slightly better for music, but it was hard to tell given the difference in environments and the fact that the parametric EQ and phase is set to compliment the two other subs in my room. I still think the Rythmic is a better sub though. I bought the Revel before I knew anything about quality ID subs. I'm also going to agree with another poster in that the Rythmic had no chance of being effective in that ginormous space. It faired considerably better than my Revel, but still no match for the Submersive. Multiple Rythmics would be a pretty sweet setup.

Next sub isn't even worth mentioning. It was my JL Fathom 110 clone. Essentially, it's a JL 10w7 in a 1.25 ft^3 box sans the built in amp and EQ. Again, in my smallish room, a pair of them sound great and are quite impactful. In this setting, however, we couldn't even hear it. I was able to see the cone moving frantically, but it could barely muster a whisper in that room. Big fat FAIL!

Now onto the final sub. The LMS 5400 in a 3.5 ft^3 sealed box. First time around it was quite disappointing as there was no HPF to prevent bottoming out on the movie scenes so I had to keep the LG clone's gain at just below the halfway point. Once we figured out how to setup the MiniDSP as a HPF at 10Hz I was able to crank up the LG gain. Since we had two of them we plugged both in for some fun. Interesting enough, from my seat adjacent the sub less than a foot away, I couldn't feel the pressures others were commenting about, but I could feel the walls flexing slightly.

It was nice to be able to hear all the different subs all in one place.

Warning: techy, anal me rant coming up.

I just wished there was more time and we could have been more methodical in our approach. It would have been nice to in the very least level match all the subs for a better comparison. Proper placement (or even same placement) would have been good and even better if we could have EQ'd them. In the very least, we could have EQ'd with Audyssey. Taking some measurements would have been nice too.

All that being said, I think we were all having too much fun to even care much anyhow. I know I had a blast listening and getting to chat with you all face to face. The measuring and more scientific approach would have been the icing on this scrumptious cake. It was well worth moving over five hundred pounds worth of subs four times in one day. My back thinks otherwise though.

Thanks again Nick and everyone involved.

Eric, I will be stopping by to hear what two LGs and four LMS's sound like once you get the second LG. Oh, and you owe me a demo of the car.
post #196 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 473
duc135, thanks for the more detailed review!

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout

My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint

post #197 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You couldnt feel the pressure because you re standing where there is 6000cu on front of you and more than 8000cu in the back of you. Try siting 10ft in front of the dual lms and I swear there was a 8.0 earthquake happening.

duc135
i got to hit you up with some projects cuz those are some fine looking subs you built.
LL
post #198 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

You couldnt feel the pressure because you re standing where there is 6000cu on front of you and more than 8000cu in the back of you. Try siting 10ft in front of the dual lms and I swear there was a 8.0 earthquake happening.

LOL!

I was actually sitting on the floor right next to the sub and amp with my back against the wall. I wanted to make sure the LG didn't kill my sub during the movie demo. I didn't really have much confidence in my MiniDSP configuration abilities. With the DSP in place I was able to turn the gain knob 3/4 from full. Could have gone higher as I didn't detect any problems from the sub.
post #199 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Well said Duc! Even though I would have liked to have done some measuring and some proper setup, I was having too much fun getting to know everyone.

If things work out I'll be ordering clone #2 this week. You're more than welcome to come over for a demo. Maybe we can talk Chayne into bringing his Submersive and we'll do a one on one comparison.
post #200 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edoggrc51 View Post

Well said Duc! Even though I would have liked to have done some measuring and some proper setup, I was having too much fun getting to know everyone.

If things work out I'll be ordering clone #2 this week. You're more than welcome to come over for a demo. Maybe we can talk Chayne into bringing his Submersive and we'll do a one on one comparison.

I'm in lol

post #201 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm in lol

You got it!
post #202 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

duc135
i got to hit you up with some projects cuz those are some fine looking subs you built.

You got it Nick. Everything looks good when it's that blurry though.
post #203 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 05:42 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
do you guys watch full movies or just demo scenes ?

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #204 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Mostly clips from the Bluray Demo Disc and the newest Underworld movie.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, except not while driving a school bus.
post #205 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

How about this one
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #206 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And these
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #207 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM

Liked: 10
Sorry I missed it. It report card writing time of the year and I was stuck grading a mountain of papers.
post #208 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

And these too
LL
LL
LL
post #209 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Should have took picture of everyone but I couldn't find my d90, just my phone cam
post #210 of 248 Old 05-14-2012, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I'm not sure what I'm looking at with those pictures. The sub with the dual woofers is a Submerssive? Or is it the one with the amp plate on the side? What are the other ones?

Thanls everyone.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page