Is my sub blown or is this tinsel slap? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2012, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two identical Exudos Audio Maelstrom Xl 18" drivers in custom made boxes, and I'm feeding them a Crown CE4000 each (roughly 2500 watts).

When the bass hits, one of the two drivers sounds like there is something loose. I put my ear closer to the box, and it sounds like there is something metallic shaking around INSIDE the box. The other driver doesn't have this problem.

Do you think the driver is blown? The sound is coming from INSIDE the box, and I notice it's definitely getting worse

If so, I wonder if the dealer will offer a rebuild on the driver.

Thanks!

Ming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
First do a quick test of the drivers. Push in and out on each of the cones one at a time when nothing is being played. Listen closely. Do you hear any scratchy noises? If so you may have a bad driver. If you hear nothing go on to step two which is removing the drivers to see if there is something loose in the box. If nothing then repeat the first test but with the drivers out paying close attention to every bit on the driver (spider, former, etc). With those steps you should be able to identify the problem. My money is on you hearing scratching meaning possibly something wrong with the voice coil.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

First do a quick test of the drivers. Push in and out on each of the cones one at a time when nothing is being played. Listen closely. Do you hear any scratchy noises? If so you may have a bad driver. If you hear nothing go on to step two which is removing the drivers to see if there is something loose in the box. If nothing then repeat the first test but with the drivers out paying close attention to every bit on the driver (spider, former, etc). With those steps you should be able to identify the problem. My money is on you hearing scratching meaning possibly something wrong with the voice coil.

I took the driver out of the box, and it's smooth with no scratchy noises. BUT, I just noticed this problem last night, and I have a feeling that it's going to get worse.

I took a video clip of the driver playing in free air, and I think it sounds like something is loose inside, and crashing into the sidewalls.

To make matters worse, DIYAudiocable no longer sells the Maelstorms. Hopefully he can rebuild it for me as a favour.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drh3H...6fWpi5G1v3GN-V
post #4 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Good video, but I'm stumped. Yes it does sound like something is loose. Have you shook the driver a bit to see if anything makes a noise?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Look around the basket and see if anything is loose. Also, it's possible the spider is damaged. It seems to be happening at pretty low volume. Have you looked at the speaker surround?

Too bad the video is in such low light. Maybe you could make another, but shine a light on the lower part of the speaker and examine what's happening.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Good video, but I'm stumped. Yes it does sound like something is loose. Have you shook the driver a bit to see if anything makes a noise?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1tyU...2aAUAAAAAAAAAA

I shook the driver around, and it's solid. The surrounds a perfect. Eitherway, it doesn't sound good

What would be a good replacement driver for a Mal-X? I have a 4 ft^3 sealed box, and a Crown CE4000 for the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by croseiv View Post

Look around the basket and see if anything is loose. Also, it's possible the spider is damaged. It seems to be happening at pretty low volume. Have you looked at the speaker surround?

Too bad the video is in such low light. Maybe you could make another, but shine a light on the lower part of the speaker and examine what's happening.

The volume is -15dB. Not exactly cranked, but when mounted in the box, it's moderately loud. I don't have a good feeling about this driver's health
post #7 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It doesn't really sound blown, but more like something is loose(as was said earlier). Is there any space under the spider where some debris could have fallen into? I'd be inclined to inspect as much of the driver as possible.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Before you throw it out, remove the dust cap and make sure there is not a piece of glue or schmeg floating around in there.

Lot's of low rent stuff stacked up into a medium rent pile.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page