I need help deciding on a sub for my setup... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-20-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So here is the deal I'm building my first home theater setup and I'm trying to narrow down the sub choices to go along with the speakers.

-The HT will be used for 40% TV (Digital Cable via HDMI), 30% Movies (PS3 as my DVD/Blueray player via HDMI), 20% music, 10% games (PS3).

-The room all open and a split between a living room and a dining room approximately 22' long x 17' wide with 9 foot ceilings & hardwood floors (mostly covered by two 10' x 12' rugs).

-The entertainment center takes up the majority of the living room 17' wall and the optimum position to place the sub is in the corner to the right of the entertainment center (a little over 2' available in width, I'd prefer not to go much deeper than 17" and height isn't really a problem). The one thing that concerns me a little about this position is there is a large double sliding glass door that runs along the wall about 2' away from where the sub would be.

-My budget is $500-600 or less.

-The speakers that I will be using will be one of the following (on shelfs in the entertainment center with 7-9 inches of space behind them):
1. Cambridge Audio S30 & S50 (leader right now)
2. Boston Acoustics A25 & A225
3. Polk TSi 200 & CS10
4. Infiniti Primus P153 & PC251
5* There is a very outside chance I might go with NHT Absolute Zero or Classic 2 or KEF Q series if I get a chance to hear them and they blow me away in comparison to the others on my list

I've had the BIC F12 & PL200, Rhythmic FV12 and the Polk PSW505 suggested to me, but have read that the Outlaw LFM1-EX might be the best I can get in my budget. Which of these have good tight and controlled bass and would work best in my room?

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I'm using the Outlaw LFM-1 EX in my setup of Klipsch and really love it and so does anyone who hears it. My delima now is to by a second one while on sale with free shipping.
post #3 of 16 Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

I'm using the Outlaw LFM-1 EX in my setup of Klipsch and really love it and so does anyone who hears it. My delima now is to by a second one while on sale with free shipping.

Do it do it!

To the op the lfm ex is a tough one to beat at its current price offering. But if music is a thing than the fv12 has been recommended by some folks here for music stuff. I personally use 2 ex's and love em. Maybe 20% tv use 70%movies 10% music. Games once in awhile

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #4 of 16 Old 01-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcanary73 View Post

x2

My Setup
Stage 1 - Enthusiasm
Stage 2 - Realism
Stage 3 - Obsession
Stage 4 - Acceptance

Which stage are you on?
post #5 of 16 Old 01-21-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 741
The FV12 might have an edge on the EX for music, but the EX is no slouch, and will be much better than others in your consideration list. I have one in my main HT setup and love it for HT and music listening. It's much better for music than my Mirage Prestige S10 (same sub as the Energy VSW10 that people have recommended lately). I also have some Cambridge S30s at home that I use in a 2.0 setup. IMHO, the EX is a higher class of audio component compared to the S30s as speakers and will integrate well with them for music. And, if this is your first big sub purchase, the EX will absolutely blow your mind when you watch the 4 to 5 star movies in the The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts.

You'll be very happy

Update: The S30s I have are on a PC setup in a bedroom and are mainly used for gaming with a little music. Nice speakers for gaming, too, because of the full mid-bass sound that they project for such a small speaker.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #6 of 16 Old 01-22-2012, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter

Down to the Rhythmik FV12 and the Outlaw LFM1-EX since they are both under $600 and within about $15 dollars of each other shipped. The Outlaw is really well reviewed and there seem to be a lot of people that like the Rhythmik on this board, although no real pro reviews on it.

I'm wondering really two things:

1. Are they both easy to setup? I've read about issues in setting up the Rhythmic, are they true or overblown?

2. Considering my room size and configuration which offers the best tight controlled base?

I've received a few public and private messages supporting both, has there been a shootout between them?

Thanks for your help...
post #7 of 16 Old 01-22-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
There is no true comparison between them. It is suspected that while the Outlaw may have a bit more overall output, the FV12 will sound a bit cleaner with music. Both will be great performing subs for the money so choose either one.
post #8 of 16 Old 01-22-2012, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Rhythmic FV12 it is. I'll let you guys know what I think when I get it.

Thanks for the help.
post #9 of 16 Old 01-22-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpm88yb View Post

Rhythmic FV12 it is. I'll let you guys know what I think when I get it.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks, i'm planning on buying one of those also. Let us know how you like it, please.

Jason
post #10 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 AM - Thread Starter

Well I will say one thing about Rhythmik's shipping... It is SLOW. I ordered a week ago, was given a tracking number within a day, but then the sub didn't leave Rhythmik in Austin for 5 days and as of today was still in Texas... UPS Ground (their only option) shouldn't take 2 weeks to get from Austin to Tacoma. I'm sure the sub will be great, but I'm tired of waiting.
post #11 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:

Well I will say one thing about Rhythmik's shipping... It is SLOW. I ordered a week ago, was given a tracking number within a day, but then the sub didn't leave Rhythmik in Austin for 5 days and as of today was still in Texas... UPS Ground (their only option) shouldn't take 2 weeks to get from Austin to Tacoma. I'm sure the sub will be great, but I'm tired of waiting.

I ordered a sub last Thursday afternoon from Hsu in Anaheim. Fed Ex lists it as out for delivery in Houston...where I live.....as we speak......... >4 working days....
post #12 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Rythmik might build subs to order, fellas, hence the wait time...or maybe not, I dunno. Either way, the Outlaw is back ordered, so... Either choice is a great one, but I think the OP made the right call considering he wants a tight, controlled sound for music. That's not to say the Outlaw won't provide that, but based on reviews it seems the former is just a little better at it. Sealed vs. Ported, so that does make sense.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #13 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Rythmik is a pretty small company compared to the other ID sub manufactures. BTW, it seems that the FV12 is really starting to sell now compared to a few months ago. It would be my first choice at that price range.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Rythmik might build subs to order, fellas, hence the wait time...or maybe not, I dunno. Either way, the Outlaw is back ordered, so... Either choice is a great one, but I think the OP made the right call considering he wants a tight, controlled sound for music. That's not to say the Outlaw won't provide that, but based on reviews it seems the former is just a little better at it. Sealed vs. Ported, so that does make sense.

The Rythmik is Ported too
post #15 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

The Rythmik is Ported too

Whoops -thought it read F12. Thanks

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #16 of 16 Old 01-31-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

The FV12 is ported........
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page