Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 01-25-2012, 07:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutal0101 View Post

I have Polk RTI12 fronts, I sit 4ft from the sub, I LOVE BASS!! I mainly listen to music and as loud as my receiver can go. My main goal is chest thumping bass. Which I experienced in some of my friends' cars. I understand $600 is a small budget for all that but I wanna get closest to that kind of experience. I don't wanna sound weird but how about the Behringer B1500D Pro powered concert subwoofer for less than $500 with a whopping 126 SPL and 1400 RMS amp. Why do they make us consumers pay so much for home theater subwoofers?

http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-B150.../dp/B003E1ASHM

You could run one of these is just loud music is your main priority. I would not expect much in the sound quality aspect, but it will definitely "punch" since most of that resides in the higher bass range anyways. So if you are just looking for "loud", then this may work for you. It will not compare to the sound quality nor have the depth and refinement of the aforementioned subs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 01-25-2012, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have 6000 cubic feet as well, and decided to go with dual LFM-1 Pluses in maximum extension mode. A bit more expensive than a single EX, but worth it IMO.
post #33 of 40 Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuance View Post

Sure it hits a max SPL of 126 (supposedly), but at what frequencies? Output is extremely important, but you need to know the entire spectrum. See the graphs below to see what I mean:

I'd also wager most of the subwoofers on these graphs have a more inert cabinet and sound better overall. That's just an opinion, of course.

+1

And if someone just wants that loud, mid-bass punch in a home audio sub and doesn't care as much about flatness of the frequency response curve nor the lower bass frequencies, the PA-150 will achieve that. Set it with a 100hz crossover, and it will have some slam performance for its price from 50 to 100hz. But even with some room gain, because the frequency response drops off so much down low from its peak up high, the 20-25hz range will feel weak in comparison to what a more powerful (and expensive) sub with a flatter response will do.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #34 of 40 Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
i had a klipsch rw-12d and thankfully it had shipping damage so i was able to return it at no cost to me...i didn't like it at all...would rather listen to my music without it- it only worsened the sound. my HSU VTF3-MK3 is SOOOO much better...however i'm still planning on getting a second b/c of the size/behavior of my room...i can't get the output i want from this beast alone unfortunately

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
post #35 of 40 Old 01-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

+1

And if someone just wants that loud, mid-bass punch in a home audio sub and doesn't care as much about flatness of the frequency response curve nor the lower bass frequencies, the PA-150 will achieve that. Set it with a 100hz crossover, and it will have some slam performance for its price from 50 to 100hz. But even with some room gain, because the frequency response drops off so much down low from its peak up high, the 20-25hz range will feel weak in comparison to what a more powerful (and expensive) sub with a flatter response will do.

LOL... funny you mentioned that!! I currently have the PA-150 as I do believe its quite the sub for what I have paid for it ( $365 shipped). I just took advantage of the Outlaw sub offer + wirelses combo so I will have a chance to comapre. It might be a "challange" to match them both up as I intend to run duals but never the less I'm sure I can manage it .
post #36 of 40 Old 01-25-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

LOL... funny you mentioned that!! I currently have the PA-150 as I do believe its quite the sub for what I have paid for it ( $365 shipped). I just took advantage of the Outlaw sub offer + wirelses combo so I will have a chance to comapre. It might be a "challange" to match them both up as I intend to run duals but never the less I'm sure I can manage it .

Depending on how big your room is and room acoustics, might be interesting to try the PA-150 as a mid-bass module, and then let the Outlaw handle the low end. In Ricci's tests, it's around 50hz where they come close in output (when the EX is in ME mode). Have you seen the FMOD high pass 50hz filter? One of those could limit the PA-150 to 50hz and above, and then adjust the EX's built in crossover to limit it to 50hz on down. As powerful as the PA-150 is in that 50-100 range, the EX might have to go near the listening position (lol).

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #37 of 40 Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Depending on how big your room is and room acoustics, might be interesting to try the PA-150 as a mid-bass module, and then let the Outlaw handle the low end. In Ricci's tests, it's around 50hz where they come close in output (when the EX is in ME mode). Have you seen the FMOD high pass 50hz filter? One of those could limit the PA-150 to 50hz and above, and then adjust the EX's built in crossover to limit it to 50hz on down. As powerful as the PA-150 is in that 50-100 range, the EX might have to go near the listening position (lol).

THanks for the info, I may have to look into that!! Setting up the two subs will give me a chance to mess around a bit and keep me off the internet from buying more (lol) ... I'm sure the wife will be happy for that. Given the fact I have such a "less than ideal" HT room the duals with help fill in, thats if I can get them to play nice together . Given the advise to provided I may have to look into that thou.

Forgot to add my room info:
HT area: 15x25
Seating: about 14/15ft from front mains
*open to kitchen area that is roughly 16 x 22 and opens up to the entrance and my office that measures about 15 x 22 ( with one wall )

So you can see I have a HUGE open area to fill! But never the less the PA-150 does quite well given the fact.
post #38 of 40 Old 01-26-2012, 08:08 AM

Just to add my .02, I purchased dual Klipsch subs and after trying to integrate and adjust them properly sent them back after just 3 days. They were some of the worst sounding subs I've bought. I preferred the old Definitive Tech sub I had at the time over them. I ended up trying out a Velodyne which sounded great but was not enough to fill my room. Currently have a Rythmik FV15HP which has opened my eyes to good quality sub sound and output.
post #39 of 40 Old 01-26-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skally View Post

So you can see I have a HUGE open area to fill! But never the less the PA-150 does quite well given the fact.

Wow. That is a big space. No wonder the wife is willing to let you have two big subs. There's plenty of room

post #40 of 40 Old 01-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Wow. That is a big space. No wonder the wife is willing to let you have two big subs. There's plenty of room

LOL I know trust me... I have been doing quite a bit of kissing A** to keep my hobby the past few months . Shes been a little upset at times as I have brought home the large KG 5.5's I got for a good deal on CL ( if you are married then you may realize the most women want SMALL speakers, which is kinda ironic considering thats about the only thing they preferr small ) lol

I havent even told here I have been looking at amps yet It all boils down to the older you get the more you put up with, so I have been told anyhow lol
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers