The time has come for me to purchase a new subwoofer. My Velodyne SPL10BV now only emits a buzzing sound. I purchased it used in 2006, and it's been working great. However, as this sub is most likely close to ten years old, I think it's better to get a new sub rather than sink $230 + shipping to have this one repaired.
Here's what I'm working with:
- My room is 14' x 18 x 9.5' (just under 2400 cu ft.)
- I live in an apartment building, so earth rattling bass is not needed
- My setup consists of 2x B&W 602 S2, 1x B&W LCR S2, 2x B&W VM1, and a Rotel RSX-1550
- Budget: >$800 ideally; $1000 max
- Mostly used for Home Theatre/Television viewing.
- Physical size: I'd prefer it to be about the same size as current subwoofer
- I prefer a front firing sub rather than downward firing, so I don't disturb my downstairs neighbor, and so that I don't have to spend another $75/100 on fancy Auralux (seems like that money is better spent on the sub anyway).
- Class D amplification to keep size down.
With the exception of my A/V receiver; I've been out of the audio game for quite some time. The only sub I have thought about was either another Velodyne, or a friend maybe selling a B&W PV1 within my budget. The PV1 looks great, but I haven't seen many "real world" reviews outside of magazine sites. As my friend is cross country, a audition is not convenient.
Thanks in advance, I look forward to your recommendations!