Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 53 Old 01-28-2012, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Now you can study up on how best to configure it with your Onkyo

You have the 709. Is that right? See the AVS Audyseey setup guide. Might be some things you didn't know about sub setup: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Then here is a page that has links to all kinds of sub guides:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004573

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 53 Old 01-28-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by razzy3 View Post

hey it will be worth the wait don't sweat it!

Haha it better be...thanks!

post #33 of 53 Old 01-28-2012, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Now you can study up on how best to configure it with your Onkyo

You have the 709. Is that right? See the AVS Audyseey setup guide. Might be some things you didn't know about sub setup: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Then here is a page that has links to all kinds of sub guides:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1004573

What do you mean "configure" it with my Onkyo 709?

I know that I am supposed to get the sub to fall within +/-3db adjustment by the Audyssey...is that all you were referring to? I read through the link you posted and that was all I noticed it really talked about.

post #34 of 53 Old 01-28-2012, 08:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtrainHurricane View Post

What do you mean "configure" it with my Onkyo 709?

I know that I am supposed to get the sub to fall within +/-3db adjustment by the Audyssey...is that all you were referring to? I read through the link you posted and that was all I noticed it really talked about.

Sorry. Just trying to help. Not everyone knows how to properly run Audyssey and setup a sub.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #35 of 53 Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So my LFM-1 EX finally arrived today, and this thing is MASSIVE! Much bigger than I originally thought it was going to be.

I was originally going to ask if I should use the Outlaw along with my Klipsch 8" that was being used before, but I already anticipate that the consensus will be "no."

I did, however, want to ask for some input on placement issues. Since this subwoofer is much larger than expected, I am not sure where to put it. I was originally going to leave it in between my tower speaker and entertainment/TV stand (which would be the 1/3 rule), but the depth of the subwoofer is so much larger than the other two pieces that I don't think this is the best fit.

My other options would be to place it outside my tower speaker (thus leaving it in the corner of the room which I have read is not recommended), or in line with my couch, in between its far edge and the wall. Below are some pics that might be helpful:

post #36 of 53 Old 04-06-2012, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

So my LFM-1 EX finally arrived today, and this thing is MASSIVE! Much bigger than I originally thought it was going to be.

I was originally going to ask if I should use the Outlaw along with my Klipsch 8" that was being used before, but I already anticipate that the consensus will be "no."

I did, however, want to ask for some input on placement issues. Since this subwoofer is much larger than expected, I am not sure where to put it. I was originally going to leave it in between my tower speaker and entertainment/TV stand (which would be the 1/3 rule), but the depth of the subwoofer is so much larger than the other two pieces that I don't think this is the best fit.

My other options would be to place it outside my tower speaker (thus leaving it in the corner of the room which I have read is not recommended), or in line with my couch, in between its far edge and the wall. Below are some pics that might be helpful:

sweet!
whoever told you corner placement is bad had no clue what they were talking about...most of the time corner placement sounds best but you have to try different things b/c each room is different.

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
post #37 of 53 Old 04-06-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

sweet!
whoever told you corner placement is bad had no clue what they were talking about...most of the time corner placement sounds best but you have to try different things b/c each room is different.

Ok, thanks for the input! I know that "every room sounds different" and the only way to know the best placement is to "try and see," but obviously this is always easier said than done - time out of the day, willingness to move the heavy subwoofer around the room, nobody else in the house having a problem with constant room-shaking "bass testing" etc.

So, going by general theory and consensus, are you saying that placing the subwoofer in the front right corner of the room (just outside my FR tower speaker) would be a better idea than placing in that space between the side of my couch and the wall?

post #38 of 53 Old 04-06-2012, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Ok, thanks for the input! I know that "every room sounds different" and the only way to know the best placement is to "try and see," but obviously this is always easier said than done - time out of the day, willingness to move the heavy subwoofer around the room, nobody else in the house having a problem with constant room-shaking "bass testing" etc.

So, going by general theory and consensus, are you saying that placing the subwoofer in the front right corner of the room (just outside my FR tower speaker) would be a better idea than placing in that space between the side of my couch and the wall?

well if those are the only two possible spots for it then you have it easy! try both spots and pick the one you like better. i can't really tell you anything more than that...but i do know that if you put it next to your couch you will have more felt slam b/c it's closer to your listening position

i just got a new subwoofer and now i want another one...what in the world is wrong with me?!
post #39 of 53 Old 04-06-2012, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

well if those are the only two possible spots for it then you have it easy! try both spots and pick the one you like better. i can't really tell you anything more than that...but i do know that if you put it next to your couch you will have more felt slam b/c it's closer to your listening position

Makes sense - the only problem is that in order for me to "try it" between my couch and wall, I would have to make a run to Radio Shack and buy a longer cable...lazy, I know

I am worried that placing it in the corner will make it "boomy" and uneven, which I have read can be a common problem. On the other hand, I am worried that placing it between my couch and wall will make it easily located.

post #40 of 53 Old 04-06-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Congrats on your new sub! I'm sure you'll be impressed once you crank it up for a movie.

Some people like the corner placement effect. No reason no to try. The easy way to "try out" different placements in the room without moving it around a lot is the sub crawl. Order a sub cable from Monoprice (they are decent quality for cheap), just try the EX where it is or to the left of your Polk tower for a few days, and then experiment with more serious placement once you get the cable.

Just in case you didn't know, there is a beautiful, high gloss black top underneath the brown paper you still have on the EX

post #41 of 53 Old 04-06-2012, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I decided to first try out the subwoofer in between my couch and the wall. I am hoping that localization does not occur, and the proximity of the subwoofer to seating gives that physical rumble for a little added "fun." Here are some pics:

post #42 of 53 Old 04-06-2012, 08:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Try one of the 4 or 5 star movies from the The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts and let us know how it sounds

post #43 of 53 Old 04-07-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Am I correct with this assumption?

post #44 of 53 Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes. The 8" won't be able to keep up.

post #45 of 53 Old 04-07-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:

Maybe they won't play together nicely, but maybe they will. Try it and see if you prefer it or not. I've done it with two smaller subs I had and I preferred them together rather than either alone. This was in a fairly big room and one was an 8" another a 10", but still wasn't enough so I ordered an Empire. After I got the Empire I didn't even try 'em all together (really no need to) but could more easily now as I have dual outputs on my current AVR and Audyssey so who knows?

post #46 of 53 Old 04-11-2012, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any input on whether or not I should use any of the THX audio/subwoofer settings available on my Onkyo 709 receiver, such as "Ultra2/Select2 subwoofer" and/or its "BGC" option? I know that my Outlaw LFM-1 EX is not "TXH Certified," but will these settings do anything helpful?

Not sure if it matters, but I have the sub placed in the front right corner of my small (11.5' x 12.5') room...

post #47 of 53 Old 04-11-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 744
Quote:

Any input on whether or not I should use any of the THX audio/subwoofer settings available on my Onkyo 709 receiver, such as "Ultra2/Select2 subwoofer" and/or its "BGC" option? I know that my Outlaw LFM-1 EX is not "TXH Certified," but will these settings do anything helpful?

Not sure if it matters, but I have the sub placed in the front right corner of my small (11.5' x 12.5') room...

The BGC try on and off, it is for when you have speakers near boundaries, so if it improves things leave it on. I'm sure your Outlaw is capable of anything the THX setting throws at it. I use it but can't really tell a difference...and my Empire isn't certified by George either altho am sure it exceeds their standards.

post #48 of 53 Old 04-11-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

With a THX certified receiver there are user settings to engage THX mode. Those settings worked best way back with Dolby ProLogic. Dolby Digital doesn't benefit most current material. However, some people still use the THX settings. Really a matter of preference.

THX processing includes rear speaker de-correlation, treble roll-off, etc.

No harm in trying your system with THX engaged. All a matter of preference. Not much discussion of using THX processing after all these years.
post #49 of 53 Old 04-11-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:

You can try to integrate your Klipsch sub with your center channel and run it full range. Some folks here did that and like the result.
post #50 of 53 Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvuong View Post

You can try to integrate your Klipsch sub with your center channel and run it full range. Some folks here did that and like the result.

Any specific way I can/should go about doing that?

post #51 of 53 Old 04-11-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 72
If your sub has speaker level, connect your speaker cable from your Onkyo center to your klipsch sub speaker in, then connect another cable from your sub speaker out to your Polk center, cross over your sub to about 80hz, rerun audessey and set your center to 'large'
post #52 of 53 Old 04-11-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

If your sub has speaker level, connect your speaker cable from your Onkyo center to your klipsch sub speaker in, then connect another cable from your sub speaker out to your Polk center, cross over your sub to about 80hz, rerun audessey and set your center to 'large'

When you say "connect" you are referring to using regular speaker wire with the L and R (+ and -) inputs on on the subwoofer itself, right? So for example:
Onkyo center --> Klipsch subwoofer "L" terminals, and
Klipsch "R" terminals --> Polk CSi5 terminals?

^This, as opposed to using the "Subwoofer in" RCA cable (somehow)?

post #53 of 53 Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's probably not the right place to crossover it over. His Polk is rated with a -3db lower limit of 55hz. If that's accurate, then he might end up with some double bass going on in between there and 80hz. The idea would be to have a smoother frequency response transition between the sub and the speaker.

Moreover, and someone else will know the answer to this, but I would guess that the sub will need to be located near the center or it might screw up how Audyssey measures distance and sets the delay.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page