Velodyne DLS3750 or JBL ES250PBK?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a JBL ES250PBK as part of an Amazon.com "lightening Deal" for $179 but it was, I thought, too big for my space. I then tried the Velodyne DLS3750, which sounds great, but isn't much smaller - in fact it's quite a bit bigger than the only other 10-inch sub I tried - the Velodyne Impact 10.

Are the JBL and the velodyne DLS3750 comparable? Is one considered a finer sub? If so, why?

Many thanks,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Were it me I would choose the Velodyne. If both companies have stayed true to form you'd probably get a bit more refinement from the Velodyne. It also has a DSP, which may prove useful to tailor the sound. The JBL has a 12" driver though, so it does have the potential of producing lower tones.

The JBL isn't quite as deep, but frankly neither of them is large by subwoofer standards. What size cabinet were you looking for?

BTW; any reason you have this posted twice? It looks as though this thread is essentially the same thing.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, Jim - didn't mean to double-post - the first thread had more to do with all the subs I've been trying and this post had to do with a specific comparison between these two subs. Ideally, the cabinet size would be no bigger than an Impact 10 (DIMENSIONS: (H/W/D) 13.6" x 12.6" x 14.9") but that just might not be realistic if I want the kind of sound quality I'm looking for. As I said in my other post, the different in sound between the Impact 10 and the DLS3750 - also a 10 inch sub - is like night and day to my ears. If I cold get the DLS sound in the Impact 10 cabinet I'd be set! Also, like I said, I'm on a budget - the JBL 12 inch was $179, the Impact Mini, Impact 10 and DLS3750 were $299 and the DEQ 8r is $279. Actually, the impact Mini cost the most, since I had to pay tax on the $299 for that one...

If I determine that the DLS3750 is just too big physically, that leaves me to choose between the Impact Mini, Impact 10 and the DEQ 8r (unless I return them all) - all basically within the same ball park. Any thoughts/impressions on those three, specifically?

Again, many thanks,

John
post #4 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulmeyer View Post

If I determine that the DLS3750 is just too big physically, that leaves me to choose between the Impact Mini, Impact 10 and the DEQ 8r (unless I return them all) - all basically within the same ball park. Any thoughts/impressions on those three, specifically?

Any reason why you're limiting yourself to just those three? There may be other subs able to fulfill your needs. I'm not saying those won't, just that alternatives may exist.

post #5 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

No reason, other than that's the first path I went down. Also, I got good prices, free shipping and no tax from both Amazon and Velodyne, and my local Fry's had the mini for $100 less than anyone else. I'm leery of starting from scratch, but I'm willing to look at others if I can get closer to finding what I'm looking for. Right now, if I keep the DLS, it will sound great, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. If I settle for any of the others, I'm concerned that I won't be satisfied with the sound in comparison to the DLS, which I could have kept for the same $$. Herein lies my dilemma :-)

If I were to look elsewhere, where would you begin? I've kind of stayed away from Polk, Kilpsch, Energy and Jamo, given what I've read here and there. Any recommendations for in the under $300 range for something no bigger than the Impact 10 but with the dynamics and qualities of the DLS3750?

John

P.S. but assuming I stay with the three I mentioned , any thoughts/impressions on those??
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsulmeyer View Post

Right now, if I keep the DLS, it will sound great, but it sticks out like a sore thumb. If I settle for any of the others, I'm concerned that I won't be satisfied with the sound in comparison to the DLS, which I could have kept for the same $$. Herein lies my dilemma :-)

An age-old dilemma at that. I'm afraid there's no getting around it though...

You can get small subwoofers with good sound, but they cost money to engineer so they don't come cheap. But even that has it's limits; just like certain other things in life, size really does matter.

To achieve satisfying output and extension you need either money or size (or both, if you really want to get crazy). I'm not sure if you've had the opportunity yet but you might want to check the budget subwoofers thread. There are a number of options available, but I'm not sure if you would gain much by switching from what you have now.

At this point I guess the question to ask yourself is; which do you consider more important, physical size or sound? Once you decide your order of preference then finding a sub should be easier.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Tags
Jbl Es250pbk 12 Inch Subwoofer Black
Gear in this thread - Es250pbk by PriceGrabber.com