Pairing a Sub with RC Micros? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 05:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been looking for speakers to pair with a Yamaha RX- A700 receiver in a room that is around 13x20 with 8 foot ceilings. After much research, I decided to purchase a 5 pack of RC Micros - hard to pass up for the 150 currently on sale at Newegg. It looks like a may be moving in a year or so - and plan on upgrading with some larger energy speakers for the fronts when i do and using the micros to expand from 5.1 to 7.1 (or use them as height/ rears in 5.1). So finally to my question - I know the Micros bottom out at 150 Hz, and need to purchase a sub to fill out my current set-up to 5.1. Any suggestions? I don't want to break the bank - I looked at BIC f12 but saw that it may have a hard time above 100-120 hz, I don't mind spending more but would like something that would work well now and move into a larger room well later. I saw some posts on the subject, but they are all dated a bit... I also have an old pair of JBL g300's that i could add to the mix if needed to help with the midbase (if they would in fact help). I appreciate the help, you guys have already taught me more about HT than you can imagine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Ok first off that room is decent size room and if your looking at moving sometime in the near future and have a bigger room, I highly suggest you don't skimp on a sub. My advice you be buy one good sub now and when money is available add a second identical one. I would look at $500+ internet direct subwoofers from brands such as: Outlaw Audio, Hsu Research, SVS, Epik, Rythmik, etc.......

For reference I have a 23'L X 11'W X 7.5'H room. I'm running 2 - Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Pluses. Bought them on sale for $499 each and free shipping. They sound amazing and I love them. I would recommend no less than 1 of these or an equivelant for a room your size.

Shawn
post #3 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 05:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggyD View Post

I have been looking for speakers to pair with a Yamaha RX- A700 receiver in a room that is around 13x20 with 8 foot ceilings. After much research, I decided to purchase a 5 pack of RC Micros - hard to pass up for the 150 currently on sale at Newegg. It looks like a may be moving in a year or so - and plan on upgrading with some larger energy speakers for the fronts when i do and using the micros to expand from 5.1 to 7.1 (or use them as height/ rears in 5.1). So finally to my question - I know the Micros bottom out at 150 Hz, and need to purchase a sub to fill out my current set-up to 5.1. Any suggestions? I don't want to break the bank - I looked at BIC f12 but saw that it may have a hard time above 100-120 hz, I don't mind spending more but would like something that would work well now and move into a larger room well later. I saw some posts on the subject, but they are all dated a bit... I also have an old pair of JBL g300's that i could add to the mix if needed to help with the midbase (if they would in fact help). I appreciate the help, you guys have already taught me more about HT than you can imagine.

depends on your budget. the epik legend or empire will work well with the micros. the outlaw lfm-ex is on sale now ($550). i also started with the micros and slowly moved up the energy ladder.

post #4 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 06:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 728
HSU STF-2 could work well, although if you plan on upgrading to better Energy speakers up front, it could be worth getting a 12" ID sub now so you bypass the temptation to upgrade the sub after you get the new speakers

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 5 Old 01-27-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I had already looked at the HSU ST-2, wasn't sure if it would work well with such a high crossover requirement. I would like to keep the purchase in the 300-400 range - but it seems like it may be worth to spend a little more now and not have to upgrade later - although the option of 2 subs is always there as flick mentioned.. such difficult choices! Mostly using the system for movies/gaming at the moment...How can i look at specs and tell if the sub will work at a crossover of 150 Hz competently (or will I even need that high of a crossover?)? I can see how this could quickly become an addiction, i am already looking at new speakers and i haven't even gotten the new ones set-up properly!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page