Sunfire--Why no love? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am working with a home theater installer and am generally happy with most of his product selections. However, he wants to use Sunfire subwoofers, which I rarely see mentioned in this forum.
Is there a reason, or are they just considered substandard?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Those are some great subs. I was trying to decide on Sunfire which I did hear at the time, or SVS which I never heard. I ended up buying two SVS PB12 plus instead of two sunfire subs. What I know of both Sunfire and SVS, I would have been happy with either one.

I don't think I have heard or read anything bad about them.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hamp568--thanks for the quick reply. I just rarely see them mentioned in "shootouts" or people longing to replace what they have with the best/biggest Sunfire. Just wondering what I am missing?
post #4 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
My opinion? They are not great bang for the buck. You can spend less on an internet direct sub and typically get better performance.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
That may be true true. I got the Sunfire True Subwoofer back in 2001 and I still use it. Its range is like 28Hz to 100Hz. So it doesnt give you the low end you would want for movies. But the value I was looking for was the size and weight. Back then ID subs were not that popular I guess and I was also just beginning. So I was shopping mainly at the hi-fi stores. I saw this tiny sub putting out decent tight bass and got it during the Thanksgiving sale for $750.

I am sure for $750 there are better choices now and also back then. But to me weight is the main issue. I have been looking for a sub that goes lower but my choices have been very limited due to my weight restrictions.

Here is my tiny Sunfire True Sub :-)

post #6 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheron1701 View Post

I am working with a home theater installer and am generally happy with most of his product selections. However, he wants to use Sunfire subwoofers, which I rarely see mentioned in this forum.
Is there a reason, or are they just considered substandard?

With all the choices we have now, they just are not in the same league anymore. They are still good subs but IMO I'd never want one in my HT. For a 2 channel system is a small room? sure but not for a HT or medium to large rooms.

BTW I had a true about 6 years ago.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #7 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My Sunfire True Signature sub rocks my bedroom just fine.

Panny 60VT60 Acurus 200x3
Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 Oppo 83's Pioneer Elite DV 59AVI
Paradigm SIg2 v3's & 490cc
Pioneer Elite SC61 SVS SB12NSD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #8 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The high THD numbers might also drive people to other offerings. They were/are interesting "lifestyle" subs with good performance. Today's subs simply offer better performance & value.
post #9 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yes looked to me like the marketing plan was small size and high power to compensate, and that small size costs you at the lowest frequencies.

Mupi...I"m curious why are you concerned about weight?
post #10 of 23 Old 01-31-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminbass View Post

Yes looked to me like the marketing plan was small size and high power to compensate, and that small size costs you at the lowest frequencies.

Maybe he uses it as a headphone sub.
post #11 of 23 Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminbass View Post

Because I cant move them easily :-) and also if I have to return, it will be a nightmare. I have a Civic so most of these large subs with the box do not fit my car, in case I have to return it. I either have to bother a coworker or pay $30 more for FedEx to come pick it up and also lose a day of vacation as I have to sit at home waiting for FedEx/UPS.

So right now SVS SB12 is my best bet. But I have already tried the last year model and It was not a night and day difference. Plus the SB12 had issue with the auto power. Please see my comment in other posts in the last couple of days.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
If you need a small sub they might be the ticket but you are going to pay for it. Conventional subs with larger enclosures that do not try to defy the laws of physics are a better value.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 43
For people who want or need a really small but powerful sub, Carver and Sunfire's small but powerful (2,700 watts), get the job done.

We know that you can't get small, inexpensive, deep and loud.

Bob Carver pioneered digital switching amps. He made the most of high excursion drivers, passive radiators, and of course the 2,700 watt amp.

While not the most cost effective, they have their place.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-01-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I know this seems like a small question to folks on this forum, but it really helps me determine which direction to go in with at least a quasi-informed approach.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I just don't have the space for a big sub in my bedroom. I was thinking about going for a new SVS sub to replace my Sunfire if i can keep the size close to what my Sunfire is.

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
post #16 of 23 Old 02-01-2012, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
They were great ht subs in 1996... That's when i bought mine. 5 years later they were left in the dust. With today's offerings, I wouldn't even consider one. If your installer is pushing for you to go with them, he is obviously getting a pretty good profit off their gear. In this case, I have to wonder if he is in the best interest of you or his wallet.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-03-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

They were great ht subs in 1996... That's when i bought mine. 5 years later they were left in the dust. With today's offerings, I wouldn't even consider one. If your installer is pushing for you to go with them, he is obviously getting a pretty good profit off their gear. In this case, I have to wonder if he is in the best interest of you or his wallet.

You eventually went from a small sub like the Sunfire to a pretty large sub like the HSU VTF-15H. That's like comparing apples to oranges. A true comparison to Sunfires best models needs to take size into consideration.

As far as custom installers, they can't make a profit trying to resell Internet Direct brands, so this discussion should focus on boutique brands where the intstaller can make some of his profit.

It's not like Sunfire is some kind of junk. The digital switching amps, passive radiators and large excursion drivers have become mainstays of many of the really good small subs of today.
post #18 of 23 Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

You eventually went from a small sub like the Sunfire to a pretty large sub like the HSU VTF-15H. That's like comparing apples to oranges. A true comparison to Sunfires best models needs to take size into consideration.

As far as custom installers, they can't make a profit trying to resell Internet Direct brands, so this discussion should focus on boutique brands where the intstaller can make some of his profit.

It's not like Sunfire is some kind of junk. The digital switching amps, passive radiators and large excursion drivers have become mainstays of many of the really good small subs of today.

Never called Sunfire junk, but they are nothing to brag about either. Considering I bought that sub when they first came out in 96 and it's 2012, there is hardly a direct comparison. Why someone would purchase a sunfire when you have awesome bang for buck subs for under $1000 that blow it out of the water isn't very logical.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-03-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous View Post

Never called Sunfire junk, but they are nothing to brag about either. Considering I bought that sub when they first came out in 96 and it's 2012, there is hardly a direct comparison. Why someone would purchase a sunfire when you have awesome bang for buck subs for under $1000 that blow it out of the water isn't very logical.

You keep missing the point about the size of the enclosure. Lots of people want or need small subs, and Sunfire is pretty good for its size. 2,700 watt amp, high excursion driver/surround, passive radiator.

No question that 15 inch vented sub like the HSU VTF-15H offers more performance for significantly less money, but again, that is comparing apples to oranges. Try comparing the Sunfire to small sub like the SVS SB-13 Plus, or something from JL Audio, or even better, a Def Tech 6000, then we have something to talk about.
post #20 of 23 Old 02-03-2012, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You keep missing the point about the size of the enclosure. Lots of people want or need small subs, and Sunfire is pretty good for its size. 2,700 watt amp, high excursion driver/surround, passive radiator.

No question that 15 inch vented sub like the HSU VTF-15H offers more performance for significantly less money, but again, that is comparing apples to oranges. Try comparing the Sunfire to small sub like the SVS SB-13 Plus, or something from JL Audio, or even better, a Def Tech 6000, then we have something to talk about.

Whats to compare? It's still overpriced and you can't justify it's price based on performance. Especially when yourself stated that they have reliability issues. In the same thread an owner of the very same sub said his 12" klipsch destroyed it. You know damn well an epik empire would also out muscle it.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 353
What's all the fuss about? I think the Sunfire subs need more love and attention from forum members! They are sooo... cute and small, provide decent performance and you don't even know they are there!

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #22 of 23 Old 02-03-2012, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:

The OP did not say anything about wanting a small sub. He asked why they do not get any love here on this forum. This is an enthusiast forum and the Sunfire is more of a lifestyle product than an enthusiast product. Sunfire might be more respected in something like Better Homes and Gardens or the Martha Stewart magazine subwoofer forum.

Ok the Better Homes and Gardens thing is a bit much
post #23 of 23 Old 02-03-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder how the SVS SB12 NSD would compare to my Sunfire True Signature sub?

Pioneer Elite 05FD &51FD
2 S-VHS VCR's
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page