AMP for JTR subs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking at finally making the break and pick up a pair of the passive JTR Captivator's was looking for some good recommendations on a Killer amp that will run both of these. They are going in about a 6k sq ft room and prefer to get one amp that can run both easily but could go with 2 if it made more sense. i am trying to keep this around $1k-$1200 for the Amp.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurek View Post

I am looking at finally making the break and pick up a pair of the passive JTR Captivator's was looking for some good recommendations on a Killer amp that will run both of these. They are going in about a 6k sq ft room and prefer to get one amp that can run both easily but could go with 2 if it made more sense. i am trying to keep this around $1k-$1200 for the Amp.

Thanks

If you can run the risk of a potential faulty amp and the steps and troubleshooting that may exist, a LG clone amp would be perfect for what they can take....see the LG clone amp 14k thread in the diy section.....

Can you get the subs in 4 ohm config or only 2 and 8?
Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzurek View Post

Thanks

With that price point you should be able to EASILY find amps that will more than fill the bill. I found a great deal on a Crown XTi 4000 (around $550 shipped) a couple months back and use it on my JTR subs. The XTi's have onboard EQ so you can shape your response better to suit your room. I am sure you should be able to find something. Have you considered asking Jeff at JTR what he might recommend? Good luck!
Toymachyne likes this.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Jeff recommends (I use that term loosely) the Crown XLS5000. Check it out at www.uniquesquared.com. I will be using one each per Captivator. (8-ohm bridged)

....but it doesn't have DSP, if needed. I also have a DCX2496, so I didn't need a DSP amp.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 447
Use that XLS5000 on the 2011 Captivators with a 14hz HPF from some other device, and the 2012 Captivators with a 16hz HPF, and you're set. Congrats!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

534 at http://dealnews.com/Crown-XLS-5000-1...ng/534590.html.

Coupon codes are expired. uniquesquared has no open coupons, but still the best price.