post #31 of 49 Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

Seems you're missing an 's' in "Dis" Member...

Nope. I have no reason to diss you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 02-10-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

Nope. I have no reason to diss you.

I didn't really think you were. I was simply being a smart-alec too. No worries...

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #33 of 49 Old 02-11-2012, 07:27 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWilson View Post

I won! I was successfully able to knock these SOB's off line! It may be only a temporary victory, but at least I accomplished something. The good guys win this time, at least one round anyway...

What ended up working?

***Credis Quod Habes Et Habes***

post #34 of 49 Old 02-11-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_WI View Post

What ended up working?

Sadly, I'm not sure which of my contacts was effective because I got little back from most of them. In alphabetic order this is what I encountered...

Amazon - basically told me "we'll look into it"
American Express - never responsed to my inquires
Discover - basically told me "we'll forward it to the appropriate department"
FTC - never responsed to my inquires
Mastercard - only got a generic reply with nothing but canned, and irrelevant, information
PayPal - never responsed to my inquires
Visa - never responsed to my inquires
godaddy.com - chose to do nothing
whois - chose to do nothing

It may have been some combination of them as well, but I honestly don't know. AAMOF, I wouldn't have even known they got taken down unless I went to the website to check for myself. You see, I've been going to their "contact us" page a few times a week and leaving a nasty-gram, just to make sure they knew I was hunting them.

post #35 of 49 Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I assume they paid $12 and simply gave the website another domain name... of course they will have to change the url for their ad campaigns but for the most part I'm sure they are still in business and never went off-line at all. I seriously doubt it was more than a minor 'speed bump' to their operations. The best thing anyone can do is to not 'feed' their scam operations by simply refraining from purchasing anything from them. Every dollar they successfully scam only rewards their efforts and provides undeniable proof that indeed there are a lot of suckers in the world and that in turn will only serve to spawn even more similar scamming operations on the Internet.

"For deep bass, the listener is not really listening to the speaker, but rather, is listening to the room as it is being played by the speaker."
Juicy
Doggie Jabber
post #36 of 49 Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The sad thing is you're right. That's precisely why I conceded to having won just a single round in the fight - I realize this probably did nothing more than slow them down, not shut them down. Although simply a moral victory it did feel like some measure of success, fleeting as it may ultimately be.

post #37 of 49 Old 02-12-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Notice:
This domain has been redirected.

If you are the registrant of this domain, please contact
invalidwhois@godaddy.com

Nice job!

OPPO BETA GROUP
post #38 of 49 Old 03-16-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

They're back! It seems as though the t#rds I shut down once already have floated to the rim again, and set themselves up with another website.

Every aspect of the new "company" is identical to what you'll find I already encountered -- even down to the names of the fictitious "on line help" people! -- so the snake has slithered to the surface once again. Not that I didn't expect them to, of course, but it's just disheartening to see they changed absolutely nothing but the URL. They're getting smarter too; now the website is hosted in the UK, limiting my reach and what agencies I can report them too.

I urge you to spread the word to everyone that this is not a site they want to spend a single dime at. Take it from someone who knows...

post #39 of 49 Old 09-05-2012, 02:12 PM

Liked: 10
Thanx for taking one for the team in your wallet, brave man. I just reported them to google, hopefully they will ban them from showing up in search results. Their prices are just ridiculously low, you can tell right away that they are not legit. I was looking for a Denon AVR-3312. Found it in the $700s at a few places, more in a few more and a one day goldbox sale on Amazon for $550 (that I missed, darn the luck!) Their price? $220, hmm something smells like bad tuna around here. Thanx again for making it official that they are scumbags.
post #40 of 49 Old 09-05-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I noticed they showed up as yet another site recently. These dirtbags multiple like rabbits it seems.

post #41 of 49 Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Stinks to see so many untrusted websites / con- artists.

I been more cautious to where I enter my 16-digit CC number these days while shopping online.

My local Best Buy been popular for me (as for movie buying and end of the year audio equip from the magnolia stores biggrin.gif ).

Good job Jim for flagging this website.

Shhhhhhhhh
post #42 of 49 Old 09-06-2012, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Thank you for being a champion of consumer protection. smile.gif

MY EQUIPMENT
Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912
DirecTV HD DVR HR24 & AM21N OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65 & Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Series Speakers - 50's (2), 20's (2), 10's (2), 37c (1) & Velodyne Subwoofer
Panamax M4300-PM Power Center
Monoprice Cables & Harmony One Remote
post #43 of 49 Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks.

It proved to be an interesting exercise, for sure. What I learned wasn't encouraging, but I did get to see how the whole process works.

post #44 of 49 Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM

This thread has been extremely useful, I have used many online sites and have found this shocking, that people actually scam and take money off the public. I have purchased an item from an Asian retail website in India after doing this I found our that the website is a scam and it has ripped many people off. I'm still waiting for my item or my money back! Hope me good luck guys hope I get my money back soon!
post #45 of 49 Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelly B View Post

Hope me good luck guys hope I get my money back soon!
Unless you paid via credit card or PayPal and filed for a charge back within the allotted time period, you won't, and even then it won't happen if the thieves have already cleaned out their receiving bank account.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #46 of 49 Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 AM

Within what period of time would I have to claim the money back?

As I have spoken to the company and allowed them to post my item within 10 working days and if not then I will file a complain against them.

Was this the right thing to do?
post #47 of 49 Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:

?
It varies with each company. However, legitimate sellers do not charge your card/PayPal account until they actually ship the goods. They get a hold ticket for the amount of the charge, which holds that amount available to them until they ship, at which point they actually charge the account. If your seller has actually charged your account prior to shipping and providing you with a tracking number you should immediately instigate a charge back.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #48 of 49 Old 12-01-2012, 02:18 PM

There are browser extensions that warn you if you are about to visit an untrustworthy site.

I use the Web Of Trust extension in Firefox, which is based on users rating sites for reputation.

An extension like NoScript will prevent attackers from being able to attack your browser by running malicious Javascript. However it will also break most modern Web sites, which rely heavily on Javascript. At least you have the option of selectively allowing scripts to execute in your browser.

Google tracks sites reported as malicious, and I believe Chrome will warn you if you are about to visit an untrusted site.

You should also set up your machine to use OpenDNS for resolving domain names, instead of relying on your ISP.
post #49 of 49 Old 12-04-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

As I have spoken to the company and allowed them to post my item within 10 working days and if not then I will file a complain against them.
Was this the right thing to do?

I'm not sure what the timeframe is for Paypal but if you used a credit card the time limit is 60 days after the charge first appeared on your statement. I posted this in a thread about elemental designs closing but much of it is relevant here (I removed some stuff that didn't apply):
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 
Anyone in the scenario of unreceived merchandise that was paid by credit card should be covered. Your CC company may or may not play nice but that's irrelevant as long as you know how to properly dispute the charge. Just picking up the phone will likely initiate a chargeback process with the merchant - they'll give you a temporary credit and "see what they can do". The problem is this will not be successful at which point the CC company may or may not remove the temporary credit. You need to remove the merchant from the equation and simply dispute the charge with your credit card company itself as a billing error. This kind of dispute is much different from a chargeback and has nothing to do with the merchant. This cannot be initiated over the phone, it must be done in writing and your CC company will very likely not tell you about it or help you initiate the process over the phone. Here's an article covering this situation on the ftc website, note the 2nd portion is all dealing with the merchant which may not be an option:

http://ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre28.shtm

Another common mistake is disclosing too many details - this can only serve to weaken your stance and give the CC a way to cloud the issue. The letter template in the link above is a good guide - only facts (nothing about promised delivery dates, bankrupt companies, etc.).

I had a recent dispute with my CC company but was unaware of how to properly dispute. I initially got the "chargeback was unsuccessful" scenario and told they wouldn't be able to get my money back. Fortunately I'd been doing my research and called back. I was lucky - at the sheer mention of sending a letter to dispute the charge as a billing error I was put on hold momentarily then told the temporary credit would be permanently applied to my account.

Good luck!
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page