Ok, now I am confused. Just how crazy are some of these subs... - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 78 Old 02-05-2012, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

It's also a damn fine car for those with the budget.
I'm getting the feeling your budget or rather lack of budget makes you sour on those that can afford more. ie, if you can't afford it then it's not worth having. PAPD?

I will agree, I don't have 250K. I still say that a 250K is an ego trip. It serves no real practical purpose other than to show off. Just like trophy girl friend, she might look nice like a runway model, but she wouldn't make the best wife/mother. BTW, You can get a real fine car a lot less and save some money to help those less fortunate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 78 Old 02-05-2012, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
After building a 12" in 3cf and a 15" in 4cf, I realized that the 15" is far better. It cost about $600 to get the 15" driver, with a 18" passive radiator and the cabinet built but now drivers have more than doubled in cost, leaving me with a "need" to get another 15" perhaps in a larger enclosure. Anyway, I didn't need 250k to get good solid, low distortion bass.
post #33 of 78 Old 02-05-2012, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I will agree, I don't have 250K. I still say that a 250K is an ego trip. It serves no real practical purpose other than to show off. Just like trophy girl friend, she might look nice like a runway model, but she wouldn't make the best wife/mother. BTW, You can get a real fine car a lot less and save some money to help those less fortunate.

LOL, I consider my wife a trophy and I drive a Porsche (i put it to bed in the winter). She's a great mother to boot and I get to indulge in this hobby within our budget.

I think you have a narrow mind when it's outside of your life.
post #34 of 78 Old 02-05-2012, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

save some money to help those less fortunate.

OMG You drank the wealth re-distribution kool-aid

Back to the original poster. I have found you can augment a less than optimal sub with tactile transducers to give you that humungo subwoofer experience.
post #35 of 78 Old 02-05-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

This is a bunch of generalizations that add up to BS.
What if you were a car enthusiast from early childhood? What if all your life you dreamed of having an exotic car but came from a modest background?
Then you work hard, become successful and can afford an exotic car. Do you not buy it because it's excessive? If you buy it does that mean you don't give money and time to charity as well?

So every supermodel is a bad mother or wife? What if one is a down to earth woman who loves her kids? Because she walks down a runway for millions of dollars she can't be a good person?

I am sick of the way envy and political correctness in our society has created an atmosphere where it's okay to judge the wealthy and successful without knowing anything about the particular person. When people of average or lower income are judged for superficial reasons it then becomes bad.

BTW look at our president and others inside the DC beltway that espouse class warfare as a means to maintain their power, not help the less fortunate . They are all worth millions and give less than 1% of their earnings to charity. Look it up!
Tim
post #36 of 78 Old 02-05-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
Chill everybody. Deep breaths. You're being worked by a troll. Let it go.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
post #37 of 78 Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

I know but stomping a troll with logic and truth can be very satisfying.
Tim
PS: sorry to the OP, but this happens in every thread auditor joins..... Now back to subs
post #38 of 78 Old 02-06-2012, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
No apology needed. Not a single thing on avsforum meets the definition of a need so for all of us, from budgets of $100 to $100,000+ we are simply doing this for the enjoyment of it. That's not egotism or inappropriate if you aren't harming yourself or loved ones by overlooking needs. That line is different for all of us. Play on folks.
post #39 of 78 Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod View Post

What if you were a car enthusiast from early childhood? What if all your life you dreamed of having an exotic car but came from a modest background?
Then you work hard, become successful and can afford an exotic car. Do you not buy it because it's excessive? If you buy it does that mean you don't give money and time to charity as well?

So every supermodel is a bad mother or wife? What if one is a down to earth woman who loves her kids? Because she walks down a runway for millions of dollars she can't be a good person?

I am sick of the way envy and political correctness in our society has created an atmosphere where it's okay to judge the wealthy and successful without knowing anything about the particular person. When people of average or lower income are judged for superficial reasons it then becomes bad.

BTW look at our president and others inside the DC beltway that espouse class warfare as a means to maintain their power, not help the less fortunate . They are all worth millions and give less than 1% of their earnings to charity. Look it up!
Tim

+1. And since you didnt say it, I will. Krugman is wrong more often than he's right

Back on topic...the Empire would be a great choice OP. And as others have said, you dont know what youre missing until you hear it and realize you've been missing it And also to parrot other comments, theres no replacement for displacement!
post #40 of 78 Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
It serves no real practical purpose other than to show off.

Shameful behavior posting something like that. Very judgemental. Shame on you.

deeper than the deepest ocean
post #41 of 78 Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Its your money and you can do as you please.

Quote:

I never said any what you're saying above. The trophy girl friend was an example. Trophy girl friend is not wife material, she's usually about tantamount a groupie and she's only on man's arm to show her off, she brings nothing else to the table except good looks.

Quote:

You do realize that excessive pride, greed and avarice is ruining this society and others.

Quote:

I'm not a fan of Washingtonians.
post #42 of 78 Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputter1 View Post

LOL, I consider my wife a trophy and I drive a Porsche (i put it to bed in the winter). She's a great mother to boot and I get to indulge in this hobby within our budget.

I think you have a narrow mind when it's outside of your life.

A Porsche is a nice car. Good for you. However, I think you know what I'm getting at.
post #43 of 78 Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Good for you. However, I think you know what I'm getting at.

Reread my post above. You have no place deciding where the cutoff is for the cost/value of a sub, car or anything else. You have no right to judge others based on what you perceive from your perspective as justifiable expenditures versus excess. Above you state "it's your money do as you please" a few posts after judging those who purchase an expensive car. Hmmm.
Anyone from an impoverished inner city could come to your home and judge you for your HT purchases. Stop passing judgement from snapshots of information and not the totality of a human being (which cannot be reasonably assessed on this forum.)
I know you won't admit you're wrong but it's plain to see for the other AVS members.
Don't you tire from always playing the contrarian? I guess I will never understand the mindset of a troll.
Tim
post #44 of 78 Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

A Porsche is a nice car. Good for you. However, I think you know what I'm getting at.

How is your SED TV working out for you?
post #45 of 78 Old 02-07-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:

I know some folks that are pretentious. I know a few that are blue collar / red neck types like me that took a long time to be able to afford what we enjoy now.
post #46 of 78 Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

A Ferrari is nothing but a 250K ego trip.

Hmmm HMMM ....I won't say anything...

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #47 of 78 Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 AM

Quote:

Reread my post above. You have no place deciding where the cutoff is for the cost/value of a sub, car or anything else. You have no right to judge others based on what you perceive from your perspective as justifiable expenditures versus excess. Above you state "it's your money do as you please" a few posts after judging those who purchase an expensive car. Hmmm.
Anyone from an impoverished inner city could come to your home and judge you for your HT purchases. Stop passing judgement from snapshots of information and not the totality of a human being (which cannot be reasonably assessed on this forum.)
I know you won't admit you're wrong but it's plain to see for the other AVS members.
Don't you tire from always playing the contrarian? I guess I will never understand the mindset of a troll.
Tim

You haven't pointed out to me what I'm wrong about. I gave an opinion, that a 250K car is an ego trip. I wholeheartedly stand by that opinion. I think that view is accurate.
post #48 of 78 Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine View Post

+1

Read this other thread. You are on a merry-go-round that doesn't ever stop.

post #49 of 78 Old 02-08-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You haven't pointed out to me what I'm wrong about. I gave an opinion, that a 250K car is an ego trip. I wholeheartedly stand by that opinion. I think that view is accurate.

I know the merry go round won't stop but I still enjoy slicing and dicing Auditor's bs with his own words.
1) you judged those who buy expensive cars in one post then say "it's your money, do as you wish." That is what we call contradiction.
2) how could you possibly know what motivates someone to biy a particular vehicle? Maybe it's not ego. Maybe they are really fun to drive and they are an enthusiast.

Auditor55 I never do this but I will make an exception here.....please troll another site, everyone here is tired of your nonsense.
Tim
post #50 of 78 Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

To the OP if this thread is even still relevant,

My REL Q201e subwoofer cost $1500. It's absolute junk when used in my basement theater room with concrete floor. Even with the best placement, it's still rubbish in that 2800sqft room. However it sounds great in my first floor living room with plenty of boom and impact and isn't drowned out by other speakers.

If it sounds good to you, what more do you need?
post #51 of 78 Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:

I know the merry go round won't stop but I still enjoy slicing and dicing Auditor's bs with his own words.
1) you judged those who buy expensive cars in one post then say "it's your money, do as you wish." That is what we call contradiction.
2) how could you possibly know what motivates someone to biy a particular vehicle? Maybe it's not ego. Maybe they are really fun to drive and they are an enthusiast.

Auditor55 I never do this but I will make an exception here.....please troll another site, everyone here is tired of your nonsense.
Tim

Why are you calling me a troll just because I have an opinion that differs from yours? Also, I have not contradicted myself. Everyone is supposed to have the freedom to do what they wan't, however it doesn't make it right.

I'm not talking about an expensive car, I'm talking about a Ferrari, its a car marketed for people with megabucks and mega Egos.
post #52 of 78 Old 02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

You ever drive a ferrari on a track? If not than your comment cant be accurate. Could've sworn you wouldn't listen to anyones opinions on your xref if they didn't have first hand experience.

And yes I've driven a ferrari on a track. Laguna seca and its totally not an ego trip car

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

post #53 of 78 Old 02-08-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Auditor55,
You garner the same reaction in almost every thread you post, so either you're a troll or everyone around here is loony.
It's all relative, what you consider modest one who is indigent may consider excessive. It is not your place to judge another's purchases, just worry about your self.
If someone follows the rules and doesn't harm others to achieve success why do you care what they buy? ........Envy. It makes you feel better if you convince you that anyone more successful than yourself must have been unethical to get there.
I know several people who own exotic cars and the majority of them give more of their time and earnings (even as a percentage) to charitable causes than those that demonize them for their success.
I'm done with you Auditor55.
Tim
post #54 of 78 Old 02-08-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Why are you calling me a troll just because I have an opinion that differs from yours? Also, I have not contradicted myself. Everyone is supposed to have the freedom to do what they wan't, however it doesn't make it right.

I'm not talking about an expensive car, I'm talking about a Ferrari, its a car marketed for people with megabucks and mega Egos.

He's calling you a troll, because you're posting things not relevant to the thread, and derailing it. It's a thread about a subwoofer, not morales or your opinion on someones spending habits. You're polluting this thread with drivel, please stop.
post #55 of 78 Old 02-08-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basementdweller1 View Post

Alright, on another thread I mentioned I am looking for a sub for a new basement theater room that is in the 2400 cubic feet range, but open to another room on one entire side for a total of 4000 cubic feet. I mentioned my price range of $500-750 and most have advocated the Epik Empire, Hsu VTF-15H, Outlaw Audio LFM-1 EX, or Rythmik FV15HP. So far so good... until what I did today.

Upstairs in my family room, I have a Paradigm 5.1 system with a small Paradigm PDR-8 (8 in woofer) sub. My family room is 20x18 but with 2 story cathedral ceilings so 6000+ cubic ft and on one side is open to the kitchen which is at least another 2700 cubic ft. As for the sub I keep it turned WAY down because of small kids. So today because I am looking into subs and being told I need a larger sub for my large basement space (and I intend for sure to play it considerably louder) I cranked up my little PDR-8. Without really even trying I had what I consider to be rip roaring bass that you could physically feel, almost to the point of being uncomfortable even in what is nearly 9000 cubic feet of connected space. Ok, now you all think I am a giant wuss, and I probably am but I was pretty happy with the sound which I thought was great in an action movie I watched. Most of the bass was what I considered tight and hard hitting but I admit some of the rougher explosion sounds were a bit muddy even if I considered them loud or strong. Sooooo....

If a little 8 inch sub can do this what the heck am I expecting out of a Epik Empire for example with two 15 inch woofers? I don't mind the idea of more clean, punchy sound but I don't know I want more wall shaking then my little 8 inch sub from Paradigm was able to do when I didn't even turn it up all the way in what is a much larger area than my basement theater area. Does this change what I should be aiming for? I assume I can turn a sub like the Epik Empire way down, but should I instead be aiming for a legend etc.? Having never heard "big" subs before I don't know what the heck people are enjoying when they get 2 or more 15-18 inch monsters going at the same time when I felt like the little PDR-8 was pretty compelling.

I guess I just retired my man card...

I had a pdr 10 before I upgraded and I thought it was beast like...its not that beastly anymore. I think your whole family will enjoy a 12 sub. Movies are just ...idk epic beyond belief

post #56 of 78 Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:

Probably because you seem to be trolling. Private forums aren't really free to do as you want... WTF is wan't? Do apostrophes confuse you?

You're clueless about cars apparently, a Ferrari is what it is, an awesome car for an enthusiast who is willing to live up to ownership (they don't sell to just anyone for some models, you have to be approved as worthy). I sure as hell wish I could afford one. WTF do you drive, an idiotic Prius?

post #57 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisr1977 View Post

He's calling you a troll, because you're posting things not relevant to the thread, and derailing it. It's a thread about a subwoofer, not morales or your opinion on someones spending habits. You're polluting this thread with drivel, please stop.

Here's what happen when you come late in thread and don't follow it and take sides.

Here's is the post I responded to. An analogy was given comparing a Ferrari purchase to a subwoofer.

"Kinda like buying a car, you dont drive your Ferrari at 200 MPH everytime, but when you need that horsepower, you know its there and you dont have to worry thats its engine is going to blow.

Most if not all subs will play with less distortion when not pushed to the edge of its limits"

I responded to that analogy by explaining that driving a Ferrari is nothing but a 250K ego trip and that is exactly what it is. Even the folks that make and market those cars would agree.

So I ask you again, how is that trolling sir. I did not bring up the Ferrari analogy, I just responded to it. I was trying show how bad of analogy it was.
post #58 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
The Ferrari comment was made analogous to subwoofer headroom. In that context the analogy is quite apt, IMO.

Avarice
post #59 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:

I responded to that analogy by explaining that driving a Ferrari is nothing but a 250K ego trip and that is exactly what it is. Even the folks that make and market those cars would agree.

So I ask you again, how is that trolling sir. I did not bring up the Ferrari analogy, I just responded to it. I was trying show how bad of analogy it was.

Well, you were completely unsuccessful--your words did not manage to convey your meaning or intention to others. It came across as completely off topic. If you don't want people to call you a troll, then stop acting in such a way---in this and other threads--where people will perceive you as one.

And before you try to claim that this is a personal attack, your post above does ask to have it explained to you.

post #60 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Avarice_ View Post

The Ferrari comment was made analogous to subwoofer headroom. In that context the analogy is quite apt, IMO.

Are you saying that buying a certain subwoofer is an Ego trip, hmm? For certainly a Ferrari is.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page