Ok, now I am confused. Just how crazy are some of these subs... - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

Are you saying that buying a certain subwoofer is an Ego trip, hmm? For certainly a Ferrari is.

Astonishing inference fail

Price, value et al are not applicable to the reference. Let's step through this: a subwoofer will spend most of its useful life plodding along at, say, 20% of its potential, due to the nature of the program material it is being fed...much like a car cruising on the interstate. However, there are instances (e.g. transients) where the full potential of the sub will be required to accurately reproduce the recording at the desired level. Likewise, the car
is sometimes asked to yield its full potential, say, accelerating on an on-ramp or braking to avoid a collision.

A sub with sufficient headroom (power) will be able to achieve this maximization of its potential (ramp-up from 20% to 100%) more smoothly than one with limited headroom. The sub able to accomplish this smoothly will sound better doing so (less distortion, etc.). The car with sufficient headroom (power) will also be able to achieve its maximization more smoothly, yielding better performance and likely longevity of its components; much like the sub.

All of this was implicit in the analogy. I can't believe I had to type it out!

Avarice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 08:21 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljaycanuck View Post

In my experience, a sub in a room that sits on joists will benefit from "floor effect" - vibration transmitted through the joists to the seating area - which amplifies the sub's performance.

Wholeheartedly agree. I have a vtf-15h in my 1300 cubic foot theater in my basement and it's pretty loud. I moved the sub into my living room upstairs to see what would happen. I played "bass I love you" at full volume and I thought the floor was going to collapse. When it played down to 16hz there was so much flex in my joists it felt dangerous. I laughed my ass off then put it back in the theater. Now am considering a second one for the theater. Gonna see if I can get my slab to crack ;-)
post #63 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

I responded to that analogy by explaining that driving a Ferrari is nothing but a 250K ego trip and that is exactly what it is. Even the folks that make and market those cars would agree.

Can you see the difference between attempting to impose your values and judgments on everybody and discussing facts in a setting where people are free to make their own value judgments?

Although my dad drove white cars essentially all the time I had him around, I dislike white cars. I am not going to come here and tell anybody that they should not want white cars or they're morally bankrupt or imbecilic if they drive a white car. (Well, maybe in jest). That, to me, is the equivalent of what you are doing. If you really want to be involved in a dialog, IMO, you'll actually get farther if you clearly identify the things that are your values and treat them as such, rather than continually stating your values as immutable facts.

Regardless of what you or I may think about the social utillity of a Ferrari, there are likely folks who at least feel that owning an outrageous (to me) car is necessary to demonstrate to their potential clients that they are sufficiently successful to be considered (I'm thinking Hollyweird, frankly). And those folks may be right.
post #64 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_danger View Post

To the OP if this thread is even still relevant,

My REL Q201e subwoofer cost $1500. It's absolute junk when used in my basement theater room with concrete floor. Even with the best placement, it's still rubbish in that 2800sqft room. However it sounds great in my first floor living room with plenty of boom and impact and isn't drowned out by other speakers.

If it sounds good to you, what more do you need?

When you say concrete floors is there anything on top of it? As in subfloor, padding and carpet etc?
post #65 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 AM

Liked: 10
I didn't come late to the thread, I've been following it. You started by posting YOUR opinion on why people buy an expensive car, that's off topic.

Quote:

Here's what happen when you come late in thread and don't follow it and take sides.

Here's is the post I responded to. An analogy was given comparing a Ferrari purchase to a subwoofer.

"Kinda like buying a car, you dont drive your Ferrari at 200 MPH everytime, but when you need that horsepower, you know its there and you dont have to worry thats its engine is going to blow.

Most if not all subs will play with less distortion when not pushed to the edge of its limits"

I responded to that analogy by explaining that driving a Ferrari is nothing but a 250K ego trip and that is exactly what it is. Even the folks that make and market those cars would agree.

So I ask you again, how is that trolling sir. I did not bring up the Ferrari analogy, I just responded to it. I was trying show how bad of analogy it was.

post #66 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Please show me where anyone who works at Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. agrees that the cars they make are an ego trip. They consider them performance art, masterful engineering, etc. This is not rhetorical, I really want you to back up your statement.
I wish you could see how foolish you seem to others, but your superpower is imperviousness to logic and introspection which cannot be defeated.
Tim
post #67 of 78 Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod View Post

Please show me where anyone who works at Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc. agrees that the cars they make are an ego trip. They consider them performance art, masterful engineering, etc. This is not rhetorical, I really want you to back up your statement.
I wish you could see how foolish you seem to others, but your superpower is imperviousness to logic and introspection which cannot be defeated.
Tim

If he doesn't have first hand experience with a Ferrari than his opinions dont matter. Well that is his standards just like in the Xref thread.
Anyways this thread is way out of line now I think, time to close it?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #68 of 78 Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Tim

The thing speaks for itself. Who on earth do you think they are targeting their cars to? Wake up and smell the coffee and get real.

(This the Ferrari 599gto, price $460,000).

That car is overkill for anyone. It's just another depreciating asset. It serves no practical purpose other than to show off. Its ostentacious, flashy, gawdy, vain etc and my opinion, flat out wasteful. Who needs a $460.00 car. Those cars belong on the race track, that's what they are for.
post #69 of 78 Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Get back on topic guys...

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #70 of 78 Old 02-10-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The thing speaks for itself. Who on earth do you think they are targeting their cars to? Wake up and smell the coffee and get real.

That car is overkill for anyone. It's just another depreciating asset. It serves no practical purpose other than to show off. Its ostentacious, flashy, gawdy, vain etc and my opinion, flat out wasteful. Who needs a $460.00 car. Those cars belong on the race track, that's what they are for.

I didn't think you could back up your claim that even those who make and sell them consider them ego trips. Just keep skipping around avoiding things you can't answer, spouting your opinion as universal truth and making everyone miserable. Thanks for ruining another thread Auditor55, your nothing if not consistent.
Mods please close this thread.
Tim
post #71 of 78 Old 02-10-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:

Before this thread gets locked I just wanted to thank you for the eye candy.

Most people in the US don't "need" much of the stuff they have.

Ferraris can be used on the track, as a real sports car should be used at least once in a while. A practical purpose would be to blow the doors off some fool in a Prius (as if anyone needs laptop battery powered cars). Ostentatious perhaps if you can't drive properly. Flashy, yes! Gawdy, hell no, that's style and grace!

A little jealous of more successful SV nerds perhaps?

post #72 of 78 Old 02-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the Borderline.
Run like the wind,
As excitement shivers up and down my spine.
Down in his barn,
My uncle preserved for me an old machine,
For fifty-odd years.
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.
post #73 of 78 Old 02-10-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Most people in the US don't "need" much of the stuff they have.

So true. Based on 2008 stats from the World Bank, one quarter of the world lives below the poverty line of less than $1.25 a day. From that perspective, everyone on the AVS website talking about home audio is living extravagantly with the equipment purchases we have had/are making. Seems silly to be casting stones when audio/video equipment is largely a luxury item. No one needs even a $300 stereo system and a $500 TV to watch the news.

post #74 of 78 Old 02-10-2012, 05:39 PM

If you wanted to save money and still upgrade, the 12" BIC F12 is a very good sub for the money at less than 200 bucks. You could always get two of them if it gets drowned out in the space or move it to your upstairs at some point.
post #75 of 78 Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by coryrulez9 View Post

If you wanted to save money and still upgrade, the 12" BIC F12 is a very good sub for the money at less than 200 bucks. You could always get two of them if it gets drowned out in the space or move it to your upstairs at some point.

Thank you for getting back on topic.

The BIC sub has gotten very good reviews for a sub with that low a price.
post #76 of 78 Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I didn't think you could back up your claim that even those who make and sell them consider them ego trips. Just keep skipping around avoiding things you can't answer, spouting your opinion as universal truth and making everyone miserable. Thanks for ruining another thread Auditor55, your nothing if not consistent.
Mods please close this thread.
Tim

Get back on topic. Yes, mods close this thread.
post #77 of 78 Old 02-12-2012, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

Jump to the ground
As the Turbo slows to cross the Borderline.
Run like the wind,
As excitement shivers up and down my spine.
Down in his barn,
My uncle preserved for me an old machine,
For fifty-odd years.
To keep it as new has been his dearest dream.

Love me some Rush
post #78 of 78 Old 02-12-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Get back on topic. Yes, mods close this thread.

Probably the funnies thing I've read here in at least a month.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page