Outlaw LFM-1 EX worth the wait? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2012, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I can finish my HT build in like 2 weeks but I'm on the reservation list for the EX which has a estimated ship date of Feb 27th. Or should I buy 2 LFM-1 Plus now? Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 87
I think that a lot of people would recommend two Pluses over a single EX regardless of the EX' availability. This is because the most important advantage of multiple subs--which for many systems has little to do with increased output--simply can't be achieved with a single sub, regardless of how much better that single sub is than the pair to which it is being compared. In this case, everything I've heard is that the Plus is very comparable in its sound to the EX, just not quite as deep-voiced (18Hz roll-off in maximum extension mode as compared to 16Hz) and significantly less loud. So it seems to be a very small difference in overall quality; the EX is, more or less, a juiced-up version of the Plus. You could reasonably expect a better experience (flatter frequency response at your listening positions), overall, from two Pluses.

That said, if you have your heart set on the EX, in the long run of course the two weeks' extra waiting will eventually fade completely from memory. And there you'll be, with exactly what you really wanted.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
Old 02-04-2012, 10:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
What he said

But also, what is the size of your room? If very large, you might want to go with the EX so that you have the option of adding an additional exact matching sub later.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 02-04-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Agreed 2 subwoofers is a better option. The output will be the same but more evenly distributed. I have owned both, my brother owns both, and there is little difference in output between the two models. Bothe are quite capable of producing near reference or reference levels in a typical room at all of the audible frequencies.

If you want bettter tactile sensation then experiment with a sub directly behind the seating area and one upfront. For ecample, one each at the midpoint of the front and rear walls.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The room is around 21' by 16'. Approximately 3000 cubic ft. Is the SVS PB12 NSD comparable? Just curious, though my heart is set on the Outlaws. Thanks for the replies
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

If you have kids or pets, a downfiring sub is ideal with downfiring driver and ports. The EX also looks more like an end table with a high WAF. Given the size of your HT space I would stick with the EX, which is not that much more than a single plus. A Hsu VTF3-MK4 is also an option but it would cost you 50% more than an EX would.

I also considered the PB12 NSD, but I like the flexibility of Max Extension vs Max Output modes on the EX.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokenAshes View Post

The room is around 21' by 16'. Approximately 3000 cubic ft. Is the SVS PB12 NSD comparable? Just curious, though my heart is set on the Outlaws. Thanks for the replies

The PB12-NSD is quite comparable. The EX as measured by a reliable third party has substantially higher maximum output over 25Hz, and the PB12-NSD has substantially higher maximum output under 25Hz. By "substantially higher" I'm talking about a difference of 3-5dB at these different bass regions, at the subs' clean output limits.

In your space, assuming that it's a sealed room, the subs and listening positions are optimally located, and your listening habits are *like mine*, then you probably would never come close to the output limits of either one of these pretty powerful subs. Some people are total bass addicts, so the question of "how much is enough?" is one only you can answer, but to be honest, it's better to have enough headroom that you never run any subwoofer near its output limits. That is, before you got there, you should be looking into a multiple-sub solution. Still I think it's a pretty rare person who would need to push these units to their limits in a space like yours, given the qualifiers at the beginning of this paragraph.

The EX is arguably better-looking than the PB12-NSD. I think the cylinder form of the PB12 (the PC12) is better-looking than either, by a wide margin, and its performance is more or less identical to its box form. It's also cheaper and lighter than the box form. I'm thrilled with mine. If you snag one from the SVSound Outlet Specials page, then you can get it for $699 delivered. I did, and it has no defects that I can find, and I've looked closely.

Once again, I am sorry to take a sledgehammer to so small and fragile a nut. -- Richard Dawkins, The Greatest Show On Earth
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
+1

I'm an EX owner. I would give the edge to either the SVS PB12-NSD and HSU VTF-3 MK4 on paper and would choose one of them over the EX if around the same price. But not for almost 50% more given the EX sale price you got. They are the same class in the same way that Mustang GT and Chevy Camaro V8 are. One's not worth paying 50% more than the other, even it does have a little higher performance.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 02-04-2012, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I think ill just wait for the EX and hope it ships sooner. I did get the sale price for it and the wife agreed to just wait. I do have pets and 1 child so I think the down firing port would be best for me. Its not a "sealed" room since I didn't rebuild it from the ground up, aka the studs. But I do want to create sound proofing panels to help with the acoustics of the room. Thank you everyone for the help and replies.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Just mentioning soundproofing ..... I just got my basement done, and tried to have the contractor install soundproofing insulation and drywall. He balked and said it would cost a bunch more for this "upgrade". In the end, I had to settle for regular drywall, but I purchased a few of these rolls and had them stuffed above the ceiling drywall in the basement. I was very surprised with the results, I can hear the sub on periodic action scenes, but overall very happy with this cheap R-13 substitute!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Lets not forget to throw the Rythmik FV12 into the mix. Priced at $499 plus shipping, it should also be considered if you are not willing to pay of the PB12nsd and VTF3 Mk4 and not willing to wait for the EX. All of these subs are outstanding mid/high performance subs for the money.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesando View Post

Lets not forget to throw the Rythmik FV12 into the mix. Priced at $499 plus shipping, it should also be considered if you are not willing to pay of the PB12nsd and VTF3 Mk4 and not willing to wait for the EX. All of these subs are outstanding mid/high performance subs for the money.

FV12 could be one of the better deals going, but its extension isn't quite the same as that of the NSD or the VTF-3. I understand that its output isn't the same, either. I was looking closely at it for a long time, myself, because let's face it: exotic technology is sexy.