Definitive Technolgy Supercube 6000 Feedback - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 02-04-2012, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,
I'm considering purchasing the SC 6000 very shortly. There are not any dealers or stores that have this sub on the floor to judge for myself. I am hoping that some of you very knowledgable people can help with a little feedback on this sub. I also would like a comparison to the Supercube l if possible. My system consists of:

Yamaha V997 receiver
Def Tech UIW75-mains
Def Tech UIW BPZ/A-rears
Def Tech Procenter 1000

Thanks for your help guys,

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I would wait to see the 8000 in a couple of months. It has a 11 inch driver with 2 12 inch PRs. Retail is 1499 but I'm sure you could find it a few hundred less.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-05-2012, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Do you need a sub that small? What size constraint do you have? There's no reason that a subwoofer has to be the same brand as the speakers, and generally the consensus on this forum is that there are better performers for the money than the supercubes--they just won't be as small.

post #4 of 29 Old 04-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Liked: 11
All,

Searched far and wide for reviews of the Def Tech SC6000 (Supercube) but didn't see much outside Amazon.com so thought I would post one.*

A bit of background on the setup:

-Living room in detached home
-20" x 20" x 8.5" (high) room size
-Monitor Audio RX6 towers
-Klipsch B20 surrounds
-Onkyo 609 AVR

Budget was around $1K

It was a long road for me before I ended up with this sub. I first bough a Boston Acoustics RPS1000 which I had no ends of trouble with (search YouTube for Boston Acoustics RPS1000 farting and you'll see it)

I had it repaired under warranty by Boston but it left a sour taste in my mouth and the sub didn't play as loud as I wanted it to for Movies...so I sold it.*

Then, I auditioned the Monitor Audio RXW-12, JL audio Fathom F110 and Paradigm Monitor Sub 12.*

I thought the MA sub would complement my front well but ultimately, didn't feel like it had as much punch as I wanted. It was awesome with music but lacking for HT.

The JBL Fathom F110 sounded amazing and I thought the design was fantastic but it was quite a bit more than I was willing to spend.

The Paradigm Sub12 also sounded great...massive power but also quite musical. Was also a bit more than I wanted to spend and I was really. It a fan of the design (huge enclosure and appeared cheap to me...especially for the price)

It was then that I came across the Deftech supercubes. I auditioned the SC4000 and SC6000 and was really impressed by both. The SC6000 in particular was an absolute beast and ultimately delivered more effortless bass than I could handle.*

I got it home, crossed over my towers at 60hz, the sub at 80hz and all I can say is wow. I'm not a super-mega audiophile or anything of the sort but can definitely appreciate the quality of this sub. For music, it's invisible and rounds thing out nicely. For HT, it can shake the pictures off my walls -literally, no word of a lie.*

The sub has some. Eat features such as the EQ settings which can accentuate certain frequencies. It also has a small remote and IR input so I mapped it back to my universal remote and can control it from the couch which is nice.*

Anyhow, there are definitely higher end subs out there and subs that play lower and louder but as far as I'm concerned, this is a gem based on its size and price.*
post #5 of 29 Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
With all due respect, lacking measurements your impressions don't tell us much about the true performance of the SC6000. Def Tech has a reputation for inflated data on its subs. Most people believe that the really good Def Tech subs start with the Super Cube Reference, and end with the Trinity.

There are lots of other choices at the $1,000 price point that have proven track records. Case in point, the HSU VTF-15H will crush the SC6000. In September J L Audio releases the new E series which promise to be very strong performers at a much reduced price and are much smaller than the HSU VTF-15H...
post #6 of 29 Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

With all due respect, lacking measurements your impressions don't tell us much about the true performance of the SC6000. Def Tech has a reputation for inflated data on its subs. Most people believe that the really good Def Tech subs start with the Super Cube Reference, and end with the Trinity.

There are lots of other choices at the $1,000 price point that have proven track records. Case in point, the HSU VTF-15H will crush the SC6000. In September J L Audio releases the new E series which promise to be very strong performers at a much reduced price and are much smaller than the HSU VTF-15H...

Yeah, but the VTF-15 is massive. The OP did not say if there are any WAF issues or space concerns.
post #7 of 29 Old 04-05-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Thanks for the user review.

Pay no mind to the "gotta have measurements and even if you provide them and I don't agree with them they are wrong" crowd.

Which inevitably happens here and on other forums.

All that counts in the end is that after testing subs in your room you came away satisfied with the performance and price.

I would think that the Def Tech SCs have some of the best thump per cubic ft around at pretty reasonable prices all things considered.
dish4700 likes this.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #8 of 29 Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 42
There is a review of the SuperCube 4000 at Home Theater's website and latest print issue.

They gave it a decent review: "Considering all the extremely useful features the SuperCube 4000 has combined with its small size, exceptional musicality, and distortion-damping muscle, I think it’s a spectacular bargain for under $800. Definitive Technology has always had a habit of bringing together the right amount of performance with a knack for the perfect contemporary design in order to create affordable speakers that look as good as they sound (and vice versa). With the SuperCube 4000, the company’s gone one step better and added a package of features that make this subwoofer a true standout."

The -3dB point was 26Hz and the -6dB point was 24Hz... I would expect that the SC6000 should go a tad lower, probably 24/22Hz at the same reference points which isn't too bad (my Polk PSW650s with dual 10" active drivers only goes down to 32Hz). They did say that the DSP prevents the sub from distorting when overdriven. They also mentioned that the sub bass was very tight and good with music. The frequency response of the SC4000 is shown below, looks decent for the sub overall size. They admit that the sub small size limits the ability to "pressurize" the room or shake the walls.

The only thing I have against Def Tech is the stupid sock design they have on most of their speakers. It damages easily and makes the sub look cheap.

As a side note, I am currently using a dual Polk PSW650 subwoofer system in my room. It is very tight but the bottom end is weak, going down only to 30-35Hz. They have no problem in delivering the volume, but it just can't "shake" the room. I also have a Sunfire True Subwoofer Mark II. This sub can deliver a LOT of bass. The whole house rocks from the bass when the movies delivers any sort of explosion. But the bass is just not tight. It sounds blubbery or loose. That's why I reverted back to the twin Polk subs. I do have a SC6000 on order and hope to get it in the next couple of weeks. When I do, I will post my feelings on the sc6000.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #9 of 29 Old 05-06-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I got to try a Supercube 6000. I have a 18x23' room. I have placed the subwoofer along the front wall about 1/3 the distance from the left corner... After using the Audyssey XT on my Onkyo receiver, I tried using the subwoofer with Saving Private Ryan.

The subwoofer is very compact, light at 38 lbs. One lacking feature is that you cannot connect the sub to a two-channel system that has no pre-outs. There is no way to connect the speaker connectors to the subwoofer because the subwoofer does not have outputs to connect to the speakers themselves. You can only connect the sub either a LFE input or separate pre-outs.

The subwoofer has a small remote that can control volume, 5 EQ settings and phase. I connected the sub using no EQ (flat), volume at 36 (max 40) and phase 0 degrees.

After running the self-calibration, the sub was tested with the movie. At its flat settings, the sub could go down pretty low, my guess it bottomed out between 25-30 Hz, closer to 30Hz. But the mid-bass was weak. The Audyssey set the front speakers as large and the crossover at 80Hz. The rears were set at 120Hz. I do not think the sub can go above 100Hz. The area between 50-150Hz was almost gone... I could hear the low bass but the midbass was just not there. When you hear explosions, you can hear the deep rumble but the explosion itself was weak.

I tried setting the sub manually, all speakers at 80 Hz (the speakers are Polk 55is with dual 6.5" mid-bass drivers). Yet the sound was not balanced. I know that using dual Polk 650 subs (with two active 10" drivers in each sub) provided a lot of mid-bass but it rolled off quickly below 35Hz. Granted that was with two subs. So I put one of the Polk subs back and the SC6000 in the other position. The mid-bass came back somewhat but was not all there yet.

I have played with the EQs (Off, EQ1 extends the lower bass but limits the volume, EQ2 and 3 are for music and EQ4 is for movies). EQ1 did extend the bass but the bass seemed compressed. EQ4 somewhat increased the mid-bass but also seemed compressed.

The SC6000 cannot energize my room with bass. The speaker size does not seem to be large enough. Interestingly, my old Sunfire TSWII could really move the air in the room with a 10" driver. I will play around with it some more but to be frank, the trial run of the SC6000 leaves a lot to be desired in its present state.

post #10 of 29 Old 05-06-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I couldn't persuade my uncle to get something else since he was dead set on the sc6000. Went over to his place and was felt the mid bass was a bit lack luster (50-70hz for me). Definitely know my old PDR-10 could out do that thing even though it rolls off near 30hz.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #11 of 29 Old 05-06-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Well, I got to try a Supercube 6000. I have a 18x23' room. I have placed the subwoofer along the front wall about 1/3 the distance from the left corner... After using the Audyssey XT on my Onkyo receiver, I tried using the subwoofer with Saving Private Ryan.

The subwoofer is very compact, light at 38 lbs. One lacking feature is that you cannot connect the sub to a two-channel system that has no pre-outs. There is no way to connect the speaker connectors to the subwoofer because the subwoofer does not have outputs to connect to the speakers themselves. You can only connect the sub either a LFE input or separate pre-outs.

The subwoofer has a small remote that can control volume, 5 EQ settings and phase. I connected the sub using no EQ (flat), volume at 36 (max 40) and phase 0 degrees.

After running the self-calibration, the sub was tested with the movie. At its flat settings, the sub could go down pretty low, my guess it bottomed out between 25-30 Hz, closer to 30Hz. But the mid-bass was weak. The Audyssey set the front speakers as large and the crossover at 80Hz. The rears were set at 120Hz. I do not think the sub can go above 100Hz. The area between 50-150Hz was almost gone... I could hear the low bass but the midbass was just not there. When you hear explosions, you can hear the deep rumble but the explosion itself was weak.

I tried setting the sub manually, all speakers at 80 Hz (the speakers are Polk 55is with dual 6.5" mid-bass drivers). Yet the sound was not balanced. I know that using dual Polk 650 subs (with two active 10" drivers in each sub) provided a lot of mid-bass but it rolled off quickly below 35Hz. Granted that was with two subs. So I put one of the Polk subs back and the SC6000 in the other position. The mid-bass came back somewhat but was not all there yet.

I have played with the EQs (Off, EQ1 extends the lower bass but limits the volume, EQ2 and 3 are for music and EQ4 is for movies). EQ1 did extend the bass but the bass seemed compressed. EQ4 somewhat increased the mid-bass but also seemed compressed.

The SC6000 cannot energize my room with bass. The speaker size does not seem to be large enough. Interestingly, my old Sunfire TSWII could really move the air in the room with a 10" driver. I will play around with it some more but to be frank, the trial run of the SC6000 leaves a lot to be desired in its present state.

What are you trying to accomplish?
post #12 of 29 Old 05-07-2012, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

I am trying to get a flat response down to 30Hz... I have found a big issue... Audyssey... It is totally messed up... second issue, the Onkyo built-in tone generator is inaccurate. Having someone come over to evaluate the system... stay tuned.

post #13 of 29 Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Audyssey is probably trying to push the sub lower than it's capable of going

even the svs ultra (and other high-end subs) have had issues with Audyssey

perhaps Audyssey should come up with a selectable and defeatable rumble filter

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #14 of 29 Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

Audyssey is probably trying to push the sub lower than it's capable of going

even the svs ultra (and other high-end subs) have had issues with Audyssey

perhaps Audyssey should come up with a selectable and defeatable rumble filter

I thought Audyssey was supposed to be the be all end all of auto calibration.
post #15 of 29 Old 05-07-2012, 10:23 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

I thought Audyssey was supposed to be the be all end all of auto calibration.

nothing is perfect

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #16 of 29 Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I have an Onkyo TX-NR906 which has Audyssey XT. I was having an issue calibrating the system.

Background first. The speakers are Polk RT55i's for the fronts and the surrounds are Citation (7.2 system). The subwoofers available was a pair of Polk PW650s (dual 10" active drivers with 250 watts each) and a Def Tech Supercube 6000 (9" driver with dual 10" passive radiators, 1500 watts). The room size is 18x25x9'. The subs are on the side walls. The front wall made the subs sound muddy.

Ran the Audyssey setup. Using one Polk and the SC6000, the system detected the three front speakers as large and the rears as small (the subs were set for max amplification so the Audyssey could detect the sound and set the levels). Crossover was set as 80Hz for the fronts and 120Hz for the rears. The distance and levels seem to be correct.

But the sound just did not sound balanced. The bass was boomy and the back was loud. Using the train wreck scene in the movie Super 8 had overpowering bass which drowned out all the screaming and yelling from the kids. To get the vocal levels to a normal volume resulted in overpowering bass with a lot of bass boom. Playing back the invasion scene in Saving Private Ryan had similar results.

A friend of mine does audio calibration and came over to see what was wrong. Using a calibration disc and a spectrum analyzer, we found out that the subwoofer levels were about 10dB over reference of 90dB (my preferred volume level). The rear speakers were 6dB over reference. When we used the Onkyo built-in tone generator, the speakers were showing as all balanced evenly using the spectrum analyzer.

This meant that the Onkyo tone generator was not sending a balanced signal to all the speakers. It meant that either the cheap made in China microphone is not balanced or that the sound generator of the Onkyo is off. The likely culprit is Audyssey itself. My friend has said he has found Audyssey to be totally messed up. The results are always off (he mentioned a study which tested all the self calibration systems in a blind test and Audyssey came in dead last). We backed down the rear speakers by 6dB and the sub by 10dB. Now the frequency response seems more balanced.

The bass seems tighter at the reference level. We noticed that when the volume is reduced, the bass level drops more than the rest of the sound. We can increase the bass at lower levels but it means that the bass level at reference will be louder than the rest.

BTW, we did a sweep on the SC6000... Bass was -20db at 20Hz. The -3dB level was about 30Hz. will update as needed...

post #17 of 29 Old 05-07-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is a review of the SuperCube 4000 at Home Theater's website and latest print issue.

They gave it a decent review: "Considering all the extremely useful features the SuperCube 4000 has combined with its small size, exceptional musicality, and distortion-damping muscle, I think it’s a spectacular bargain for under $800. Definitive Technology has always had a habit of bringing together the right amount of performance with a knack for the perfect contemporary design in order to create affordable speakers that look as good as they sound (and vice versa). With the SuperCube 4000, the company’s gone one step better and added a package of features that make this subwoofer a true standout."

The -3dB point was 26Hz and the -6dB point was 24Hz... I would expect that the SC6000 should go a tad lower, probably 24/22Hz at the same reference points which isn't too bad (my Polk PSW650s with dual 10" active drivers only goes down to 32Hz). They did say that the DSP prevents the sub from distorting when overdriven. They also mentioned that the sub bass was very tight and good with music. The frequency response of the SC4000 is shown below, looks decent for the sub overall size. They admit that the sub small size limits the ability to "pressurize" the room or shake the walls.

The only thing I have against Def Tech is the stupid sock design they have on most of their speakers. It damages easily and makes the sub look cheap.

As a side note, I am currently using a dual Polk PSW650 subwoofer system in my room. It is very tight but the bottom end is weak, going down only to 30-35Hz. They have no problem in delivering the volume, but it just can't "shake" the room. I also have a Sunfire True Subwoofer Mark II. This sub can deliver a LOT of bass. The whole house rocks from the bass when the movies delivers any sort of explosion. But the bass is just not tight. It sounds blubbery or loose. That's why I reverted back to the twin Polk subs. I do have a SC6000 on order and hope to get it in the next couple of weeks. When I do, I will post my feelings on the sc6000.

Brent Butterworth, (who sometimes posts on this Forum) tested the SuperCube 4000 way back in December of 2011 for publication in Sound&Vision magazine.

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...ercub?page=0,2

Brent's test focused more on output than frequency response. Brent also followed CEA 2010 standards. Output in the (CEA) Ultra Low Bass (20Hz-31.5Hz) was an average of 88.7 db.

Output in the CEA Low Bass (40Hz-63Hz) averaged 115.7db.

IMHO this makes the SC4000 a pretty decent music sub but I would find it considerably lacking for Home Theater...

As much as one can expect from a 25 pound subwoofer...

The slightly larger SVS SB-12NSD is almost 50% heavier, has greater bandwith uniformity, and comes with a 5 year warranty on the driver and the electronics. The SC4000 only has a 3 year warranty on the electronics. Given the DSP, remote control, and "1200" watt amp, 3 years isn't very long.
post #18 of 29 Old 05-07-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Room size plays a big factor in bass output... The lower the frequency, the larger the room has to be... A 20Hz soundwave is almost 56ft long... A 30Hz soundwave is 37ft long. I think if the room is shorter than the wavelength, the soundwave doubles.

post #19 of 29 Old 05-08-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Room size plays a big factor in bass output... The lower the frequency, the larger the room has to be... A 20Hz soundwave is almost 56ft long... A 30Hz soundwave is 37ft long. I think if the room is shorter than the wavelength, the soundwave doubles.

If the "room size" has be really big to deliver 20Hz, why do car audio systems pound out tremendous volumes including 20Hz?
post #20 of 29 Old 05-08-2012, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the soundwaves fold over and causes bass doubling which makes it boomy.... Not sure on the theory of acoustics...

post #21 of 29 Old 05-08-2012, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
*queing FOH*!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #22 of 29 Old 05-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

These are interesting impressions, Jon S. I was considering an SC6000 to round out the bottom end of a pair of DefTech BP2002TLs, which have built in subs that tend to roll off at about 35Hz. I was looking for something to get me a little more low end grunt but that would not be called upon to handle mid-bass frequencies. Regardless of what sub I get, I was planning on having the towers handle that part of the band because the towers' internal crossovers already do a very good job of blending the midranges and the subs. Very smooth down to about 35-40Hz. How do you think the SC6000 would perform if I continued to feed a full-range signal to the towers to handle everything down to their lower limits and then use a duplicate full range bass signal (not just LFE) fed to the SC and then use the SC's low-pass filter crossed somewhere in the 40-50Hz range just to pick up the load before the towers start to roll off? That way I'm not even calling on the SC to handle midrange bass. I'd appreciate your thoughts on how you think the SC would perform if only called upon to do the work in the <50 Hz range. Thanks.

On additional thought on your set up. I understand that the midbass sounds weak. Could be a limitation of the SC. But one thing to check to make sure. DefTech recommends defeating the SC's low pass filter if you are using the receiver's bass management. Did you check to make sure you've done this by setting the cross on the SC at its highest setting? Should be about 150Hz if I remember correctly. Then you know that the SC's internal cross is not cutting anything off and all of the crossovers are being set on the receiver.
post #23 of 29 Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post

These are interesting impressions, Jon S. I was considering an SC6000 to round out the bottom end of a pair of DefTech BP2002TLs, which have built in subs that tend to roll off at about 35Hz. I was looking for something to get me a little more low end grunt but that would not be called upon to handle mid-bass frequencies. Regardless of what sub I get, I was planning on having the towers handle that part of the band because the towers' internal crossovers already do a very good job of blending the midranges and the subs. Very smooth down to about 35-40Hz. How do you think the SC6000 would perform if I continued to feed a full-range signal to the towers to handle everything down to their lower limits and then use a duplicate full range bass signal (not just LFE) fed to the SC and then use the SC's low-pass filter crossed somewhere in the 40-50Hz range just to pick up the load before the towers start to roll off? That way I'm not even calling on the SC to handle midrange bass. I'd appreciate your thoughts on how you think the SC would perform if only called upon to do the work in the <50 Hz range. Thanks.

On additional thought on your set up. I understand that the midbass sounds weak. Could be a limitation of the SC. But one thing to check to make sure. DefTech recommends defeating the SC's low pass filter if you are using the receiver's bass management. Did you check to make sure you've done this by setting the cross on the SC at its highest setting? Should be about 150Hz if I remember correctly. Then you know that the SC's internal cross is not cutting anything off and all of the crossovers are being set on the receiver.

Small subs are most powerful higher in the frequency spectrum, namely, the mid-bass. They struggle the most with deep bass signals, (20Hz-31.5Hz). So, by rolling off the SC6000 you are giving up to your towers what the SC6000 does best and asking it to handle what it has the most trouble with, the 20-31.5Hz range.

For the same or less money you can get an Outlaw LFM-1EX which with one port open handles 16-31.5Hz very well.

If you look at the following chart you will see how well the EX does from ~16Hz-32hz with one port open:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...x-measurements
post #24 of 29 Old 05-10-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

The SC6000 does not really go that low... I think usable bass goes down to 30Hz. Using the EQ settings, I understand EQ1 (which is supposed to "extend" the lower bass,) boosts the bass level betwen 30-40Hz by a few dB. However using EQ1 limits the maximum bass output to certain levels. Realistically, most movies that have a lot of bass usually peaks at 45-50Hz. I don't think many movie theaters have subs that go really that low anyway.

post #25 of 29 Old 05-10-2012, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy View Post

Small subs are most powerful higher in the frequency spectrum, namely, the mid-bass. They struggle the most with deep bass signals, (20Hz-31.5Hz). So, by rolling off the SC6000 you are giving up to your towers what the SC6000 does best and asking it to handle what it has the most trouble with, the 20-31.5Hz range.

For the same or less money you can get an Outlaw LFM-1EX which with one port open handles 16-31.5Hz very well.

If you look at the following chart you will see how well the EX does from ~16Hz-32hz with one port open:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...x-measurements

Quote:

The SC6000 does not really go that low... I think usable bass goes down to 30Hz. Using the EQ settings, I understand EQ1 (which is supposed to "extend" the lower bass,) boosts the bass level betwen 30-40Hz by a few dB. However using EQ1 limits the maximum bass output to certain levels. Realistically, most movies that have a lot of bass usually peaks at 45-50Hz. I don't think many movie theaters have subs that go really that low anyway.

Thanks. I was kind of coming to the same conclusion myself but I'm trying to eke out a little more low end base without jamming up my room with a large box. I was even thinking about the Paradigm Seismic 110 but am concerned that that too might not have the horses and at $1400 that's not good.

At the moment the front runner, trying to balance size, performance and cost seems to be the Rythmik F12. Exactly the same price as the SC6000. The Outlaw is no question a fine box and a good value, but I haven't seen a ported sub yet that fell within my size tolerance. If I could stomach more bulk I'd probably go for the Hsu VTF-15H. The Rythmic is about the best out there I saw that kept the size mostly under 18" on all linear dimensions. Any other ideas?
post #26 of 29 Old 05-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 55
take out a second mortgage on your home and get a pair of submersive HP or captivators :-p
post #27 of 29 Old 05-13-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

The latest issue of Home Theater (June?) reviewed the Def Tech monitors with the SC6000. The results and review of the SC6000 was rather bland... The specs did not do any better than the SC4000 a couple of months ago...

post #28 of 29 Old 12-08-2012, 12:18 AM

@DJKHAM actually i can back u up on the shaking of the pictures it even vibrates my windows in my house my room is 12feet wide x 19feet length x 9feet high celings and the sc6000 pounds like no tomorrow!!!!!!
post #29 of 29 Old 12-08-2012, 09:30 AM

Liked: 11
Update:

Glad to see that this thread is still kickin'. There are some people on here that are WAY more hardcore than I am so let me give you and update since my previous post:

I've changed receivers and am now running a Marantz SR7005 (previously had an Onkyo 609) so my setup is now as such (and yes, there are some room measurements!):

Marantz SR7005 running front speakers bi-amp'ed
Monitor Audio RX6 towers
Klipsch B20 surrounds
Sony 55HX820 3D LCD TV (mounted above fireplace)
Marantz UD5005 3D Blu Ray/CD player
DefTech Supercube SC6000 (with X-over set to "off" most of the time)
Apple TV3
Xbox 360

Room size is 17' x 13' with 8' celings. Older home from 1930's with LOTS of hardwood. Large area rug covering 80% of the living room floor.

Anyway, ran Audyssey a few times to get everything dialed-in right with the new receiver. Turns out I had to dial the sub way down...which is pretty common from what I hear.

Then, I verified all the results with an app called SPL Pro for iOS (the purists will say that's not accurate...I don't give a ^#^%@...had fun seeing realtime readings and as it turns out, everything read as being properly calibrated) combined with the Proximus Blue Ray HDTV & HT calibration disk.

That was enough of a geek-out for me and I feel like the whole system is now very well balanced.

The SC6000 integrates quite well with the system now > definitely a superior sound than with the TX-NR609 which always felt a little bass-heavy to me, no matter how I tuned it.

I particularly enjoy the sub in "Pure Direct" mode with music or for Blu Ray movies with DTS Master HD audio.

Movies that have shaken the proverbial pictures off my wall:

Transformers Trilogy
Matrix Trilogy
Master & Commander
Hurt Locker
Prometheus (3D -amazing)

Being a casual Hi-Fi geek, I'm really happy with the SC6000. It may not be the best testing sub, the most powerful, most expensive or whatever but it kicks enough a** to put a smile on my face every time.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page