post #31 of 38 Old 02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by oztech View Post

Well said and I will add that one good sub will still be better than two mediocre subs especially if music and low end extension are priorities.

^ Word

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 02-09-2012, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, reading this forum many times, i am aware that multiple subs smooth out FR and make bigger sweet spot.
What i don't inderstand is what was said in that article about audible phase stereo information in very low frequencies, a kind of information that mono sub can't reproduce... maybe its just that i got it wrong.
post #33 of 38 Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugle View Post

Well, reading this forum many times, i am aware that multiple subs smooth out FR and make bigger sweet spot.
What i don't inderstand is what was said in that article about audible phase stereo information in very low frequencies, a kind of information that mono sub can't reproduce... maybe its just that i got it wrong.

Can you post a link?

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #34 of 38 Old 02-09-2012, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
Quote:

I doubt that most people can tell where low frequencies originated from in a room and I am talking about below 60 Hz it usually gives the feeling of all around you. If it were that noticeable then there would have been stereo outputs for subs long before now especially on high end gear. You also got to remember the industry is in it to make money so whatever can spark interest and sales will be implemented be it a perceived or actual improvement just look at interconnects and power cords the latter really gives me a laugh.
post #35 of 38 Old 02-09-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
2Nuance
this one http://kenrockwell.com/audio/stereo-subwoofers.htm

especially
Quote:
While low frequencies are less directional, and the direction of a low-frequency sine-wave point-source may be less perceptible, critical to fine music reproduction are low-frequency interchannel phase differences present in true stereo recordings. When reproduced properly with stereo subwoofers (or two full-range speakers), these phase differences are critical to reproducing the sound space of the original concert hall.

Quote:
Try jamming a stereo bass signal through one mono subwoofer and you lose a lot of hall ambience as well as bass level.

And so on...

He also says that Mono Sub became standard because of limitations of analog audio formats.

I haven't seen this being discussed previously
post #36 of 38 Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

2Nuance
this one http://kenrockwell.com/audio/stereo-subwoofers.htm

especially

And so on...

He also says that Mono Sub became standard because of limitations of analog audio formats.

I haven't seen this being discussed previously

A. This appears to be anecdotal rather than scientifically derived. I'd be interested to see double blind testing that covered the issue. The way I understand it, to hear phase differences at low frequencies, our heads need to be several feet wider.

B. You left out what appears to be the description of why sub content is localizable:

"While a pure 40 Hz sine wave can't be localized, subwoofers almost always produce some higher-frequency sounds that can. Subwoofers generate plenty of harmonic distortion (higher frequencies) which are easy to localize, and vented subwoofers have higher-frequency wind noise as they are pushed harder."

So it depends on whether your sub is extending too high or making enough distortion for that to be localizable. Both are controllable. Vross over lower and/or steeper; play the sub within it's limits (with the corrolary obtain a sub that can play the frequency range you desire without undue distortion at the levels you require).
post #37 of 38 Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 93
I think think localization was another reason THX recommends no higher than 80Hz.
post #38 of 38 Old 02-09-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Well said, JHAz - I completely agree. It sounds like bunk to me, as I've never seen anything that confirms humans can hear phase differences down near the nether regions of the audible spectrum. I could be completely wrong, though, and fully admit that.

Dr. Olive's Blog

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page