How Good Is the New AntiMode Dual Core EQ? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 112 Old 10-05-2012, 02:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
When calibrating dual subs with the Pioneer Elite SC-57, should 0.2 Stereo or 0.2 Dual-Mono be used? In Dual-Mono mode for the Dual Core, the left input is fed to both left and right subwoofer output whereas stereo takes the signal from both inputs. However, even though the SC-57 has a dual sub output, it's just an internal splitter as both output the same signal. So which calibration option is better for this receiver - dual mono or stereo?

In this case, it won't matter much. If you have enough cables, I'd go for the 0.2 stereo and otherwise 0.2DM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 112 Old 05-23-2013, 11:48 AM

I note from the DSPeaker website that the Dual Core features "Dual (one per channel) balanced DACs".

The spec also mentions that it uses 2 x VS8053 DSPs.

The VS8053 DSP has an integrated stereo DAC but the audio specs aren't great (see section 4.3 Analog Characteristics in datasheet linked below).

Does anyone know if the Dual Core uses separate 'discrete' DACs or the VS8053's built-in DACs?

VS8053 datasheet
post #93 of 112 Old 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM

Answered my own question :-) It uses the 18-bit DAC integrated in the DSP chip. Interesting that the guys at DSPeaker recommended this over a Bryston DAC (earlier post in this thread).
post #94 of 112 Old 08-01-2013, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Who is using Dual core 2.0 with two or more subs and Audyssey XT32 with it?

If so how do you EQ when both are connected.

I have the dual core connected to my Integra pre pro 80.3 from the two subs RCA outs, 1 and 2. I was told to EQ dual core first and save then do XT32, I have tried that combination for days and days and end up with MASSIVE, BLOATED and DISTORTED SOUND both subs set to 75db on the Integra EQ.

The only way I can get beautiful bass from the subs is to remove dual core, EQ Audyssey XT32 then reconnect Dual core after the 80.3 and then run its EQ, the sound is then amazing!

I cant see how you can run both EQs, Dual core and XT32 when the both units are connected, they seem to fight against each other and the bass ends up bloated, loud, massive and distorted....

Can others who are running XT32 with dual core please advise?

Murray Thompson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #95 of 112 Old 08-02-2013, 04:47 AM

Liked: 801
I have the 8033S II. I run Anti-mode first and then Audyssey, XT and get excellent for the room's acoustics, REW readings. I do have to do some tweaking after both are run.

After you run you Dual-Core and XT32, what does your room measuring software tell you? Without room measurements, one has no idea what's what with what. Without measurements, all one knows, is they are use to and like what they hear but they'll have no idea how a room is interacting with their subwoofer system.

Do you have room measuring capability? If so, before running both your Dual-Core and Audyssey XT32, what did you set your subwoofer's gain to?

The reason I ask, much of what we think, is based on biased experience. If my thinking is correct, much of what one thinks is based on a past, poorly set up system. Only with measurements will one be able to graphically see how how their subwoofer system is interacting with their room's acoustics.

-
steve nn likes this.
post #96 of 112 Old 08-11-2013, 01:19 AM

Liked: 15
Hi guys. I posted my impressions and graph results here in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/678260/anthem-d2-d2v-avm50-avm50v-arc1-tweaking-guide/41310

I'm still concerned about the driver on my submersive clipping which it's never done on any movie I've listened too until putting the Antimode into the system. But as mentioned I will perform an advanced calibration which does Time Delay and this time select Mono dual subs rather than Stereo Subs and not set the subs to flat in ARC on the Anthem D2v.
post #97 of 112 Old 09-06-2013, 07:51 PM

Liked: 17
Fabulous piece of equipment! I've daisy chained it with an Audiolab M-DAC. I know, people will say that the path from my sources (Sonos & CD transport) is too long. I'm here to ell you that daisychaining two DACs has done nothing to deminsh th quality of the sound. Indeed, the MDAC is passing along corrected and jitter free information to thr Anti- Mode! In addition, I can use the MDACs headphone feature, something not available in the Anti -Mode.

In any event, I'm getting into the technical stuff when I wanted to just gush about the Anti-Mode and what it has done for my music. Wow - it really pulled the bass together. Absolutely all around, with every recording, this device has utilized the capacities of my speakers to sharpen the bass so that it appears (most often) to be coming from anywhere but the speakers.

It's a keeper!
post #98 of 112 Old 09-06-2013, 08:10 PM

Liked: 801
Congrats on your success with Anti-Mode. We're using the 8033S II. Are you using a Dual-Core Anti-Mode?

-
post #99 of 112 Old 01-04-2014, 10:49 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Congrats on your success with Anti-Mode. We're using the 8033S II. Are you using a Dual-Core Anti-Mode?

-

Geez, months later, yes I'm using the Dual-Core Anti-Mode and I still love it!
post #100 of 112 Old 01-04-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 154
The Antimode Dual Core 2.0 is one of the best piece of equipment I invested in. I've used the SMS-1 also. But the ADC2.0 is much easier, more features, and more powerful. I'm using it EQ 4 Cap S2's. I'm gonna add another ADC2.0 when upgrade to JTR LCR's.
post #101 of 112 Old 01-04-2014, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a finished "Typical" calibration for the 4 caps. EQed in stereo mode.
post #102 of 112 Old 01-04-2014, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's the house curve I've created using AMD2.0. wink.gif
post #103 of 112 Old 04-12-2014, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have an opportunity to buy a Dual Core at a reasonable price. Keeping the signal path in my equipment clean, and short is a priority for me, however I have heard nothing but mostly good things about the Dual Core. I do have one concern though. Have any of you experienced a slight flattening of the sound when using the Dual Core? I am concerned about the A/D/A conversion and what effect it will have on the purity of the sound. A couple of others in another forum returned their units because of this. One guy and his wife listened only to classical, and another guy listened mostly to jazz, and acoustic music. They mentioned that although the bass, and mid-bass was improved, the sound slightly suffered in other areas. What are you guys experience on this? Thanks.
post #104 of 112 Old 04-17-2014, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have the same concern too. If you are a 2CH guy, then I would not use Dual Core. I think it will act like Audyssey XT32 where it can create a nice bubble consisting of LCR, but you will lose any reverbs/ambiance for 2CH or 2.1 music. I think that's why many folks use the 2CH preamp with HT bypass. Plus I have dedicated DACs that I would like to use instead of ones from Dual core. Anti-mode is a great unit for bass correction but its overpriced for what it does specially compared with XT32. Also I do not like the A/D/A conversion part.

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #105 of 112 Old 04-17-2014, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mupi View Post

Looks like a cheaper alternative to Audyssey XT32. Hopefully it goes below 40Hz for the speakers. I have large fronts that are capable of going down to 30Hz and I like to use them for music without a sub. But I cant EQ them below 40Hz using Audyssey MultEQ XT on my Denon 3310. I would presume this 40Hz is the limit on other AVRs as well.

BTW where does it say $700. I see some 711 Euros and there is tax. There is a price with tax of 875 euros and there is a bulk discount of 649 euros. Very confusing.

Wish they had a web site/distributor for US

Really? Audyssey or XT doesn't go below 40Hz? Is that just for main or subs too? My BP7000SC go well below 40HZ.
post #106 of 112 Old 04-17-2014, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

Really? Audyssey or XT doesn't go below 40Hz? Is that just for main or subs too? My BP7000SC go well below 40HZ.

Sure it goes below 40hz..

Speakers: Pioneer/TAD S-1EX, S-7EX, Ascend with RAAL upgrade
Pre/Pro: Onkyo PR-SC5508,Bel Canto Pre-6, Sherwood 972
Amp: Outlaw 770
Source:Oppo 105, Ciunas DAC, SB Touch
post #107 of 112 Old 04-17-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truwarrior22 View Post

I would like to get to the bottom of this. I also have read where it was mentioned several times on other forums that Audyssey does not EQ below 40hz. I am leaving to go out of town so I have no more time to email. Someone email Audyssey and ask them about this, and report back. As for the Dual Core it can EQ down to 16hz.

Someone mentioned about not liking the DC 2.0 A/D/A conversion. However there is A/D/A conversion in most digital audio.

DC is only eqing <500hz. This may leave the mids and highs transparent.. DC owners might chime in about this. The one thing I didn't like about the eqi when Adyssey was engaged was that It seems to make sound slightly flat sounding. The sound lost low end punch especially.

Quote:
"I have the same concern too. If you are a 2CH guy, then I would not use Dual Core. I think it will act like Audyssey XT32 where it can create a nice bubble consisting of LCR, but you will lose any reverbs/ambiance for 2CH or 2.1 music."

* DC does not EQ like Audyssey. It does not create any "bubble" that includes the center channel. DC does 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 only. Not 3.0, 3.1, 3.2

*DC only EQ's bass, and lower mid-bass frequencies on subs and front left and front right speakers. Not the center channel.

* Reverbs, and room ambiances are not reproduced in the bass frequencies that DC eq's. So, the DC would not them.
post #108 of 112 Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 PM

would not affect them I meant to say
post #109 of 112 Old 04-18-2014, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by islandman2020 View Post
1.  I would like to get to the bottom of this. I also have read where it was mentioned several times on other forums that Audyssey does not EQ below 40hz. I am leaving to go out of town so I have no more time to email. Someone email Audyssey and ask them about this, and report back. As for the Dual Core it can EQ down to 16hz.

2.  Someone mentioned about not liking the DC 2.0 A/D/A conversion. However there is A/D/A conversion in most digital audio.

3.  DC is only eqing <500hz. This may leave the mids and highs transparent.. DC owners might chime in about this.

4.  The one thing I didn't like about the eqi when Adyssey was engaged was that It seems to make sound slightly flat sounding. The sound lost low end punch especially.

1.  It certainly does EQ below 40Hz if the speaker reproduces below that point in its normal room position.  Audyssey EQs down the the 3dB rolloff in the inroom RF.

2.  Not so.  It is only necessary for analog sources or for an external EQ, like the DC 2.0, if you use its analog inputs. 

3.  This may leave the mids and highs unequalized.  Transparency is another matter.

4.  That depends on how well it is done in the specific setup.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

post #110 of 112 Old 05-01-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

1.  It certainly does EQ below 40Hz if the speaker reproduces below that point in its normal room position.  Audyssey EQs down the the 3dB rolloff in the inroom RF.
2.  Not so.  It is only necessary for analog sources or for an external EQ, like the DC 2.0, if you use its analog inputs. 
3.  This may leave the mids and highs unequalized.  Transparency is another matter.
4.  That depends on how well it is done in the specific setup.

1) Has this always been so on all Audyssey offerings? Or, only <40hz on XT32?
2) True. I was thinking of one of my own setups: TT>AVR/Trinnov(engaged)>Power Amp>Speakers
3) What do you know about that on this unit?
4) Hmmm? I thought using RC, and having transparency was an oxymoron.
post #111 of 112 Old 05-05-2014, 04:45 PM

I have had the Dual Core for about a week now. It’s truly an amazing piece of gear that does a lot of things. I am still exploring all that it can do. The bass in my system sounds really nice. There is only one thing that concerns me though, and that is the transparency of this unit. It seems that even with the DC in “By Pass” mode it still slightly affects the transparency of the audio. It is in the mids/upper mids, and the treble is where I notice it the most. I guess the “By Pass” is not truly a by pass in the pure sense of the term. Audio from Computer>DAC>DC>power amp is still affected even with DC in By Pass mode.
In doing an A/B test with the DC in, and then completely out of the audio chain, the change in transparency is especially noticeable. The articulation and sparkle of the mids and highs is muted just a little.
I don’t want this to sound like a “deal breaker” because it’s not at this point. I still have a lot of hook up options to try yet. I just don’t know if it comes down to trade off for better bass vs better transparency which way I will go.
post #112 of 112 Old 05-06-2014, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandman2020 View Post

I have had the Dual Core for about a week now. It’s truly an amazing piece of gear that does a lot of things. I am still exploring all that it can do. The bass in my system sounds really nice. There is only one thing that concerns me though, and that is the transparency of this unit. It seems that even with the DC in “By Pass” mode it still slightly affects the transparency of the audio. It is in the mids/upper mids, and the treble is where I notice it the most. I guess the “By Pass” is not truly a by pass in the pure sense of the term. Audio from Computer>DAC>DC>power amp is still affected even with DC in By Pass mode.
In doing an A/B test with the DC in, and then completely out of the audio chain, the change in transparency is especially noticeable. The articulation and sparkle of the mids and highs is muted just a little.
I don’t want this to sound like a “deal breaker” because it’s not at this point. I still have a lot of hook up options to try yet. I just don’t know if it comes down to trade off for better bass vs better transparency which way I will go.

After one year use, i found it lower down the bass to much (automatic option) and now i think without it sounds better.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page