Really want to get the sub right this time....for $500.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been really cheeping out in the subwoofer area for quite some time now...and I feel it is time to get it right now. I have a $500 budget and am not against buying a sub without hearing it first....ie internet direct companies. My room is only 12x15 but opens up to the rest of the place on one side with an entryway that is quite large and is impossible to close off. It would be for both music and HT %50-%50. I have an Onkyo 809 receiver and Boston Acoustics VS260 speakers with the VS325 center.

Let mw know what you guys think. I am VERY clueless when it comes to subs and want to get it right this time....without breaking the bank. I would also rather buy new though as opposed to the Bay' or Audiogon.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Well, to me $500 would be a bare minimum for a sub now and that'd probably be for a smaller room like my bedroom. I have an Epik Empire and, after a couple lesser subs, there's no going back now! I would consider the Empire's little brother, the Legend at $499 plus shipping, a nice dual 12" opposed sealed design (the Empire has 15" drivers).

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #3 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
This would be one of the considerations. http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2-mk4.html
post #4 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 11:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Agreed with lovinthehd, the epik empire is a great sub, so i would amagine the epik legend is great also. I would have gotten two of those but i got a good deal on the empire.

HT~
PANASONIC TC-P50ST60, OPPO BDP-103D, ONKYO TX-NR818, PANAMAX MR4000, KLIPSCH RF-62's, RC-62, RS-52's, PSA TRIAX
2.1CH~
ADAM AUDIO F5's, EMOTIVA STEALTH DC-1, SVS SB-2000
post #5 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The ported Rythmik FV12 should do well on that room and will do quite well with both music and movies.

http://rythmikaudio.com/FV12.html
post #6 of 9 Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
You really can't go wrong with any of the three suggested: the Legend, the FV12, or the VTF-2 MK4. Do some reading and then make your choice

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #7 of 9 Old 02-13-2012, 04:30 PM

I'd go for a legend or ED a3-300 with that budget, the ED is 550 shipped. One being sealed the other ported respectively. You'd see a little more extension with the ED and more upper end with the legend, either would be a solid choice.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I have narrowed it down to the Rythmik FV12 (New), Hsu V2 MK4 (B-stock), Outlaw LFM Plus (B-Stock). I can get them all for just about the same price....give or take $30. I also am interested in the SVS PB12-NSD but it is more than I wanted to spend but will save up if it is a big improvement over the others. I am looking at using it for about 50% music and 50% movies/TV. I LOVE listening to nice msical speakers though so it is more important to me and HT. I live in an apartment so I also need to not scare the neighbors away.....but I will not live there forever so I want it to be relatively 'future proof'.

The Hsu and Outlaw are bottom firing and the SVS and Rythmik are front firing. Does either style make a difference? I really like the idea of the Rythmik but Hsu is such a tried and true company and Pete helped me out a TON yesterday on the phone.... I'm stuck..... Then I keep thinking about the Legend but have read a lot of Amp issues with them so that has scared me a bit.... ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 02-14-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToHT View Post

Thanks for the replies. I have narrowed it down to the Rythmik FV12 (New), Hsu V2 MK4 (B-stock), Outlaw LFM Plus (B-Stock). I can get them all for just about the same price....give or take $30. I also am interested in the SVS PB12-NSD but it is more than I wanted to spend but will save up if it is a big improvement over the others. I am looking at using it for about 50% music and 50% movies/TV. I LOVE listening to nice msical speakers though so it is more important to me and HT. I live in an apartment so I also need to not scare the neighbors away.....but I will not live there forever so I want it to be relatively 'future proof'.

The Hsu and Outlaw are bottom firing and the SVS and Rythmik are front firing. Does either style make a difference? I really like the idea of the Rythmik but Hsu is such a tried and true company and Pete helped me out a TON yesterday on the phone.... I'm stuck..... Then I keep thinking about the Legend but have read a lot of Amp issues with them so that has scared me a bit.... ARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chad (the owner) at Epik seems to have tamed the Legend amp issues for now. His customer service is quite good, too. Give him a call, he's usually accessible, too. From what I've read the Epik subs get high ratings on music, I certainly rate mine high for both music and movies (but use it more for movies). The inert cabinet as a result of the dual opposed drivers is a plus in my mind over the others (let alone the additional driver in and of itself), too. As to front firing/down firing I've had both and with bass it probably depends more on your floor and walls than anything else...

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page