post #31 of 43 Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

I sold my eD A2-300 and am in the same boat as the OP so I have really been watching this thread.

I have a large entertainment room in the basement that is open to a bar area and playroom. About 5500 cubic square feet total. I will be sitting about 11ft from the subwoofer it have flexibility along the front and side wall (side wall being next to the main seating). I currently have a PA-150 in the front right hand corner of the room and this is where the new main sub would go (PA-150 would either be relegated for the back of the room or sold).

I am really leaning towards the Epic Empire. I spoke to Chad and he is a great guy. Gave me some good advice and was not a BD salesman like you sometimes find. He told me if I bought one Empire, and decided to buy another down the road, he would honor the dual Empire discount.

I am not looking for earth shattering bass. I have three young kids and rarely get a chance to watch movies alone in the house and play at reference levels.

That said, I may be able to stretch for the HSU 15, really like the company, and like the options of using two open ports, one open port, and some of the other features. The Rythmik FV15 is also enticing, but would most likely be too big of a stretch. For just a little more I could add a second Empire down the road.

Plan on ordering either this weekend or early next week, and may be overanalyzing everything Pretty sure I would be happy with any of these three subs but I am just trying to figure out if the HSU is worth extra money. From my understanding the Empire will actually extend lower and may have more midbass punch.

Looking forward to what you buy as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If you have room for two, don't buy a single sub. Keep your dual subs.
post #33 of 43 Old 02-18-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

If you have room for two, don't buy a single sub. Keep your dual subs.

Well that's just it. In my old place that was 1/3 the size either one of these subs (PA-150 or A2-300) sounded great. With 5500 cubic sq ft space? They are dwarfed by the room and I clearly need something bigger. I am actually impressed at how well the PA-150 is doing in the front corner, but I am definitely missing the punch that I was used to with the A2-300.
post #34 of 43 Old 02-20-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Looking forward to what you buy as well

Well after a ton of research and deliberation I decided on the HSU VTF-15H. I originally had the Epik Empire at the top of my list but read through the last nine months or so of the owners thread and was concerned about all the amp issues with the empire. The owner, Chad, seems to take care of the issues, and he seems like a great guy (I had some questions and spoke to him on the phone for about 20 mins), but all the issues were a concern, along with many owners who had complaints about poor response time from Epic Customer service when they sent email or left voice messages. No question though, the Epic Empire is a great value and I can see why folks like it.

I have also never owned a sealed sub and, with the size of my room, decided ported might be better and the HSU has lots of tuning options.

I really thought about paying a little more for the Rythmik FV15HP, but with shipping is was more than than I wanted to spend, and I honestly I don't know that much about the company or their subs. Reviews seem very positive.

I have heard many HSU subs over the years and have had the pleasure of speaking to Pete a few times and they always answer the phone immediately and go out of their way to answer questions and talk about audio. I spoke to Pete about my room and the VTF-15H seemed to be the best fit vs their other offerings, including using multiple lesser subs. Worse case, I add a second down the road. But buying from HSU is definitely peace of mind. I know they have great customer service, stand by their products, and will be around for years to come.

If the Outlaw sale was still on, that would have been a tough call for me (getting two vs 1 HSU).

OP, good luck with your search and I will be sharing my thoughts in the HSU thread once I have it setup and running.
post #35 of 43 Old 02-20-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post

You must be a charitable mood, you want to give your money away to some sub company for some subs you don't really need. That's, quite honestly, wasteful.

Auditor55,
Refrain from judging others actions as wasteful when you do not have the moral authority to do so.
Whenever anyone wants to upgrade beyond the level of your gear you declare it wasteful. It only makes sense to spend money to achieve a certain level of performance and anything beyond that is excessive or wasteful. Fortunately you are here to determine where this threshold exists for us because we certainly can't do it ourselves.
For those less fortunate than yourself your HT gear would seem excessive, no?
This a forum related to a hobby. Nothing here is essential, it is for enjoyment. Value can be defined by a quotient where enjoyment is the numerator and cost is the denominator. You can quibble over cost (denominator) but only the user can define enjoyment (numerator) so you must stay out of calculating value for people other than yourself or continue to face opposition and scorn on this site.
Tim
post #36 of 43 Old 02-20-2012, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike View Post

The JBL looks to be a terrible HT sub. It's output is decent, but it's got no bottom end.

Your right it doesn't dig real low but the impact is simply amazing. I'd wrather have a really competent sub for 30 and above vs. something less competent, but plays lower. Also, you realize, this is the same sub (JBL 2242) used in thousands of real cinemas.
post #37 of 43 Old 02-21-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well after a ton of research and deliberation I decided on the HSU VTF-15H. I originally had the Epik Empire at the top of my list but read through the last nine months or so of the owners thread and was concerned about all the amp issues with the empire. The owner, Chad, seems to take care of the issues, and he seems like a great guy (I had some questions and spoke to him on the phone for about 20 mins), but all the issues were a concern, along with many owners who had complaints about poor response time from Epic Customer service when they sent email or left voice messages. No question though, the Epic Empire is a great value and I can see why folks like it.

I have also never owned a sealed sub and, with the size of my room, decided ported might be better and the HSU has lots of tuning options.

I really thought about paying a little more for the Rythmik FV15HP, but with shipping is was more than than I wanted to spend, and I honestly I don't know that much about the company or their subs. Reviews seem very positive.

I have heard many HSU subs over the years and have had the pleasure of speaking to Pete a few times and they always answer the phone immediately and go out of their way to answer questions and talk about audio. I spoke to Pete about my room and the VTF-15H seemed to be the best fit vs their other offerings, including using multiple lesser subs. Worse case, I add a second down the road. But buying from HSU is definitely peace of mind. I know they have great customer service, stand by their products, and will be around for years to come.

If the Outlaw sale was still on, that would have been a tough call for me (getting two vs 1 HSU).

OP, good luck with your search and I will be sharing my thoughts in the HSU thread once I have it setup and running.

looking forward to it
post #38 of 43 Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After much research, PM's and constant back and forth between sealed vs. ported, I am going to choose between the F15 and the Empire. Any reason one is better than the other? They both are close enough in price range that cost is a non issue.
post #39 of 43 Old 02-24-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Both excellent performers for the $$.
The Epik Empire has excellent sound quality, outstanding output and solid extension to 16-18 hz depending on your space. It also has excellent midbass reproduction so it can crossed over as high as you could ever want in a sub.
The F15 may have even better sound quality, not quite as much output but it wont drop off as fast as the Empire below 20 hz. It drops off above 80 hz pretty quickly so It probably should be crossed over there not higher than that.

Factors favoriting the Rythmik :

1)Smaller room or listening preferences not real loud

2) satellites that play down to 60 hz or lower with authority so you don't have to cross over above 80

Favoring Empire:

1) Larger space and/or desire for very high output

2) satellites that aren't very strong at 80 hz and below.

Both have excellent customer service, but I'd give an edge to Rythmik in reliability.
So do you want excellent sound quality, high output including midbass or would you trade off a little output and midbass for even better sound quality.
You'll likely be pleased with either if you integrate them well.
Tim
post #40 of 43 Old 02-25-2012, 06:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodorthopod View Post

Both excellent performers for the $$.
The Epik Empire has excellent sound quality, outstanding output and solid extension to 16-18 hz depending on your space. It also has excellent midbass reproduction so it can crossed over as high as you could ever want in a sub.
The F15 may have even better sound quality, not quite as much output but it wont drop off as fast as the Empire below 20 hz. It drops off above 80 hz pretty quickly so It probably should be crossed over there not higher than that.

Factors favoriting the Rythmik :

1)Smaller room or listening preferences not real loud

2) satellites that play down to 60 hz or lower with authority so you don't have to cross over above 80

Favoring Empire:

1) Larger space and/or desire for very high output

2) satellites that aren't very strong at 80 hz and below.

Both have excellent customer service, but I'd give an edge to Rythmik in reliability.
So do you want excellent sound quality, high output including midbass or would you trade off a little output and midbass for even better sound quality.
You'll likely be pleased with either if you integrate them well.
Tim

Excellent response Tim, and thank you. I am running these for my L&R http://www.htd.com/Products/level-th...shelf-Speakers and this for my CC http://www.htd.com/Products/center-c...hannel-Speaker to give you an idea. I am def. NOT looking for output as per my first post, I will rarely, if ever, take advantage of whatever I buy's output capabilities. I am looking for the best sound quality and depth for HT (occasional music)
post #41 of 43 Old 02-25-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

^^
Based on your feedback and your mains being spec'd to 45 hz I would say the Rythmik F15, but as I said either would do very well.
Tim
post #42 of 43 Old 02-25-2012, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratm View Post

Excellent response Tim, and thank you. I am running these for my L&R http://www.htd.com/Products/level-th...shelf-Speakers and this for my CC http://www.htd.com/Products/center-c...hannel-Speaker to give you an idea. I am def. NOT looking for output as per my first post, I will rarely, if ever, take advantage of whatever I buy's output capabilities. I am looking for the best sound quality and depth for HT (occasional music)

Those are interesting speakers. Have not heard them but am a fan of folded ribbon tweeters. Are you happy with the mid bass response of these speakers? If yes, I tend to agree with the Rythmik recommendation, but I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
post #43 of 43 Old 02-25-2012, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Those are interesting speakers. Have not heard them but am a fan of folded ribbon tweeters. Are you happy with the mid bass response of these speakers? If yes, I tend to agree with the Rythmik recommendation, but I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.

I love these speakers. Very clear dialogue and no matter how hard I drive them, I never hear them strain. The CC is very stout and solid. Are there prettier speakers? Probably, but I have yet to have anyone hearing my HT that hasnt been impressed. I will say that they really came alive when I added the XPA-3. I was on the fence between the towers vs the bookshelf, but I figured I can use the $500 saved by not getting the Towers and putting it towards my sub upgrade.
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page