SVS SB13Plus Settings?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guy's..Looking for different setting you would be using...I find it to be boomy after a week's tunning..Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucal View Post

Hi Guy's..Looking for different setting you would be using...I find it to be boomy after a week's tunning..Thanks

It's likely your room effects that you're hearing. Have you measured the room or experimented with subwoofer locations?

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #3 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 11:41 AM

Liked: 20
What kind of auto cal did you run? What size is your room? You might need to employ the subcrawl method. You need to move the sub to place in a room where its not boomy.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As mentioned above, this is most likely a room / placement issue and less of a subwoofer issue. I agree with the sub crawl.

You can also make a CD of test tones and sound meter to plot out your frequency response curve and see what's going on. This may be a little labor intensive but this exercise would be very helpful to see why your subwoofer sounds boomy.

Life is good.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hey,Thanks for the reply's

My room is 11'x25' with openings to the kitchen..
I'll try the test tones,,i did not move the sub around as i don't have many places to put it..
post #6 of 9 Old 02-16-2012, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

I used audyssey from a Denon 3312..
post #7 of 9 Old 02-17-2012, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
the sb13 is anything but boomy. You definitely need to try a different location.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #8 of 9 Old 02-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Sealed box subs tend to play very deep, but with a nice gradual roll-off at the bottom end. They can play very nicely with natural room reinforcing bass due to this gradual roll-off. From your description, it sounds like boomy is mid or upper bass and not deep bass being overemphasized. Definitely a room placement issue or acoustic issue with your room/seating position. Usually Aud. will tame these peaks in frequency response, but some are too big to fully tame with its equalization.

Start by playing some music that has frequent bass that seems boomy while sitting in your main seating position. Then start moving your head around the room and decide if it's boomy everywhere or mostly just in the main position. If your couch is along a wall, it'll likely be boomy. Near a corner and it'll be worse. The same for the sub itself, corner loading a sub makes them boomy usually, but does help boost output, just not smooth frequency response. Once you've determined your seating position is not to blame, start moving the sub out from the corner or wall. If you don't have a lot of placement options, try rotating the sub's speaker into a different direction. Sometimes subtle changes can help a lot. Othertimes, major sub relocation is necessary for optimal sound.

Another option if you have a laptop and Radioshack SPL meter, download (free) RoomEQ and do some low frequency response measurements to know exactly what's going on. This does take time, but is very rewarding and gets addictive.

Mostly take your time with this to find bass nirvana. Also, careful with your back moving that box around.

Why do all of my threads suck? Is there an internet posting school somewhere? -wes k
post #9 of 9 Old 02-20-2012, 04:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much boarder1995..I did some moving around and it did the trick...This thing sounds sweet!! Now thinking of ordering a second..
Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page