Kids destroyed my infinity ps8 with dubstep... Suggestions for new sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am now looking to find a new sub due to my infinity's untimely demise. Any suggestions in the 300 and under category? I was initially looking at a bic f12 or pl-200, but feel that I could miss out on something if I don't ask the experts first My room is about 12 x 16, not that big and is next to my kitchen. I am pairing it with a Denon 1712, 2 x JBL 190's, 2 JBL 130's, and a JBL 120. My use will be about 30% music and 70% ht. Thanks ahead of time for all your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 585
List of budget subwoofers ($300 and less)
Old 02-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoreverphantom View Post

I am now looking to find a new sub due to my infinity's untimely demise. Any suggestions in the 300 and under category? I was initially looking at a bic f12 or pl-200, but feel that I could miss out on something if I don't ask the experts first My room is about 12 x 16, not that big and is next to my kitchen. I am pairing it with a Denon 1712, 2 x JBL 190's, 2 JBL 130's, and a JBL 120. My use will be about 30% music and 70% ht. Thanks ahead of time for all your advice.

If you want to scare your kids next time they play dubstep, get a Captivator!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Damn I bet the poor thing didn't know what hit it
Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Your kids will love you for getting them a better sub for dubstep. You do know you are rewarding the negative behavior

BIC PL-200 seems your best bet. Or you could make your kids really happy and go over budget some and get the PA-150.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Your kids will love you for getting them a better sub for dubstep. You do know you are rewarding the negative behavior

BIC PL-200 seems your best bet. Or you could make your kids really happy and go over budget some and get the PA-150.

Thanks, guys, so far for the recommendations. Cel4145, Now you have me especially thinking about the pa-150, if I could get it for a good price. Any other suggestions would be appreciated in the mean time.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:01 PM

Darn hooligans! Was it Deadmou5 or Skrillex... Sorry for your loss
Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks, guys, so far for the recommendations. Cel4145, Now you have me especially thinking about the pa-150, if I could get it for a good price. Any other suggestions would be appreciated in the mean time.

They would have a lot of trouble tearing up the PA-150.

See this thread about pricing.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Old 02-18-2012, 11:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milez28 View Post

Darn hooligans! Was it Deadmou5 or Skrillex... Sorry for your loss

Skrillex, from what they tell me. My son was trying to show off my new JBL's, and since they can get pretty loud in comparison to my old Bose, neither he, nor i, knew that my sub would crap out.

I will check out the price links above and keep you guys posted. I'm itching to pull the trigger already, but want to make the right choice since I probably won't have this opportunity to upgrade my sub for a while again.

Thanks for all the help, this truly is a wonderful forum. Many helpful people here, despite how many likely ask the questions over and over again.

I'll keep you guys posted and look forward to helping out others myself on here.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Just to let you guys know, I pulled the trigger on the PA-150 from acousticsounddesign.com for $349. I started looking at the eD a2-300 but figured that I would just go for the PA-150 for the price

Hopefully I made the right choice, I'll give you guys some opinions once I have it all set up.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Your son is going to love you, but now you will feel dubstep all through the house

Old 02-19-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

Just to let you guys know, I pulled the trigger on the PA-150 from acousticsounddesign.com for $349. I started looking at the eD a2-300 but figured that I would just go for the PA-150 for the price

Hopefully I made the right choice, I'll give you guys some opinions once I have it all set up.

Be prepared to pick up your lower jaw from the floor
Old 02-19-2012, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

After you calibrate the system with Audyssey tell your son not to mess with the settings or the knob on the subwoofer as I know kids and hell want to mess with it and could leave to him killing the pa-150 as well
Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Your son is going to love you, but now you will feel dubstep all through the house

My wife is NOT going to like this, she already felt that the PS8 was too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

Be prepared to pick up your lower jaw from the floor

I can't wait, this is the first time that I will have a real sub and I'm ready to FEEL the bass that everyone has been talking about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

After you calibrate the system with Audyssey tell your son not to mess with the settings or the knob on the subwoofer as I know kids and hell want to mess with it and could leave to him killing the pa-150 as well

I'll make sure to make it real clear to him that he can't mess with the settings or I'll kick his ass!

For now I guess I'll just lurk around the forums a bit more and twiddle my thumbs while I wait for my toy to arrive
Old 02-20-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:

Skrillex, from what they tell me.

Well there is your problem. Too much wobble...lmao

They need to start listening to some real dubstep!
Old 02-20-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I hope you realize that you went from a .22 hand gun to a 12 gauge shotgun. You better prep reception at home. Tell her, "I did it for my son" (lol).

Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

to put in other words what cel4145 said, I don't think you fully understand what you got yourself into. You do understand that the PA-150 is pretty much over twice the size and weight more than double the PS8 right? You better get a direct account at the floral store.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

to put in other words what cel4145 said, I don't think you fully understand what you got yourself into. You do understand that the PA-150 is pretty much over twice the size and weight more than double the PS8 right? You better get a direct account at the floral store.

On the other hand, if the wife has a favorite movie on this list (look at the 4 to 5 star movies), you may totally sell her on the sub with little effort
The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts

Old 02-20-2012, 06:58 PM - Thread Starter

Omg, awesome! Can't wait to get my sub to try some of these movies out! Thanks for that list.

Got my tracking number today but it turns out that the package was being sent to my billing address instead of my shipping. Had to call them up to get it sorted out. Hopefully it doesn't delay my package...
Old 02-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 View Post

NOt messing with settings once it's set where you think it's safe is a great idea. But I wouldn't assume Audyssey will put it in a safe zone, in fact Audyssey has been known to jack some low freqs way up to where the sub will blow much more easilly.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

They would have a lot of trouble tearing up the PA-150.

Actually, I just found a detailed review of the PA-150 on another thread and it says the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

This sub is amplifier limited and it appears that the amp is of sufficient power and the filters built in placed right, so that the amplifier cannot mechanically damage the driver no matter what ridiculous Hollywood LFE effect is thrown into it. That is good. You can have fun with this sub and find it's limits without fearing irreversible damage the first time you turn it up a little too much. This is the way any sub should be designed IMHO, since you never know what may be in the next blockbuster sound track, or what might happen if the kids play with some settings while you aren't there.

So it looks like I should be good. On another note, my shipment was delayed until tomorrow due to the mix-up with the shipping. Another day of waiting...
Old 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^
that sucks. I'm patiently awaiting your impressions...
Old 02-29-2012, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, so I finally got the PA-150!

Upon handling the package in my home, I inspected the outside of it and saw that 2 of the corners were slightly damaged, and 1 of the corners, located at the top of the box, was heavily damaged. This worried me a little, so I proceeded to unbox the sub with caution. Upon opening, there was a second box which didn't have much damage, except for the one heavily damaged corner. I opened that box and was happy to see that the corners were duly reinforced with double-stacked molded styrofoam on each corner, the sides and top and bottom. So, fortunately, the sub was not damaged in any way.

Upon reading the instructions, I proceeded to remove the sub from the box, according to their "unpacking" instructions. Basically it says to open the box, place it upside down, then lift the box up and over the sub. I did as instructed and now was able to view the PA-150 in all it's glory! First impressions were... Wow, it's huge! It is roughly a little more than two times the size of my old Infinity PS-8. I knew that I would have to find a way to hide this monster out of view of my wife before she came home. I made space in the corner behind the couches in the rear of my room. I plugged in the PA-150 to my Denon 1712 and started some music to see how it sounded. I was not initially impressed with the sound. It was boomy and, while it did make the walls shake, it just sounded like the gain was up way to high. I tried turning it down via the knob on the back, but it still did not sound the way I wanted it to. After a few house rattlin' demos from music and movies, I decided to move the sub to the front with my L/R's. I found a nice little corner for it and prepped it for running Audyssey. Now usually I place the microphone on a box on the couch to get it up to ear level. By chance, when I was setting that up, I looked over to the kids playing the Kinect and stared curiously at the Kinect stand that was holding it up. I wondered if the stand had a standard tripod screw that I could use to hold the mic. I turned off the Xbox, to many complaints from the children, and voila, it fit! I took my new "Denon mic stand" and performed the Audyssey configuration at all 8 locations, as specified in the Audyssey setup guide located HERE. I then replayed the music and movie demos from earlier and heard a more refined bass, much more pleasant to the ears than the earlier sound tests. But now, it was much to soft. There was only a slight rattle from my walls and ceiling. When I reviewed the channel levels on my avr, it had set the bass to -12db. From what I've read, this is undesirable and means the sub was turned up too loud for the Audyssey configuration. But, before I could do anything else, my wife arrived home, so I had to quit my attempts for the moment.

I will be playing around with the settings tonight and see what I can do to get the house-shaking bass back, without it sounding too "boomy." I will probably re-run Audyssey with the knob on the back of the PA-150 set lower (I had it set at 5 for the first run), and see how it turns out.

Overall, the PA-150 is a great buy for the money, the sheer power of it is incredible. Those first few minutes that it was fresh out of the box showed me it's raw power. I want to ultimately get back to that, but with a more refined and tight bass. If you guys have any suggestions, please let me know. I will keep you all posted on my efforts. Thanks to everyone that has helped me thus far!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:17 AM

Liked: 11
you might have a hard time getting a 15 to sound like your 8. if thats the punch you are looking for. moving it from the corner will help but sometimes moving the sub is not an option.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I will be playing around with the settings tonight and see what I can do to get the house-shaking bass back, without it sounding too "boomy." I will probably re-run Audyssey with the knob on the back of the PA-150 set lower (I had it set at 5 for the first run), and see how it turns out.

That will make a big difference. I would shoot for a receiver sub trim (channel) level between -3db and 0. That optimizes the sensitivity of the gain for the receiver. Right now, if it's at -12db, the gain (volume) on the back of the sub is way too high.

To get it in the right range, what I do is run Audyssey for one listening position and then calculate to see if it's close. Repeat if not. Then rerun it for all listening positions after I find that it is in the right range. Then many of us choose to bump the trim level on the receiver for the sub +2 or +3db (but we don't change the gain on the sub). And tell your kids there will be a beating if they make any adjustments

Old 02-29-2012, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

use it everyday and it may "tighten up". I don't have the 150 but I have a couple of 120s and they seem to get better exponentially, especially when it comes to music. My wife alway look forward for Glee (AVS time for me) so she can crank it up and she'll comment on the "bass" every week.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 PM

It's been forever since I've owned a sub, however, I'm really interested in purchasing a PA-150. Would my denon AVR 3803 be a good match for this sub?

If so, what type of cable do I need? Appreciate the information!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

use it everyday and it may "tighten up". I don't have the 150 but I have a couple of 120s and they seem to get better exponentially, especially when it comes to music.

I have noticed that it seems to be tightening up, both with music and movies. Everytime the wife is not around, I sneak in some bass testing. Yesterday, as soon as I came home from work, she was still out so I started playing some Sample DTS files to see how it would perform. I was finishing up a test when she came home and, suffice to say, when she came inside she asked why did it feel like an earthquake was happening in our house... haha. I had to hide the laughter that almost totally overcame me. There's just something about having that much power at your disposal that makes me giddy.

Quote:

My wife alway look forward for Glee (AVS time for me) so she can crank it up and she'll comment on the "bass" every week.

Talking about Glee, coincidentally, she was listening to the glee concert soundtrack on Spotify while grading some papers, and asked me to come and turn DOWN the bass. I'm pretty sure she'll get used to it over time. The first party we have I'm pretty sure she'll appreciate it.