Sub died! Need help picking a new one - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Paradigm PW2100 v2 has called it quits. I just upgraded my receiver so I am hoping to not go crazy on cost replacing it. Basically I'm looking for biggest bang for my buck. I have a Yamaha RX-A3010 receiver with two Paradigm Studio 40 v3's for my mains. These serve a 14x28 room with the hometheater in the front half of it. I'm kind of a newb when it comes to subs and really don't know what's out there or what's good.

Also, my employer has an accomodation program with Definitive where I can basically buy the speakers direct from Definitive for about 55% off MSRP. I just don't know anything about their subs or which one I should be looking at. I'd like to keep the overall price at about $700 (about the same I paid for my old sub) but if there is something someone here thinks I should really look at that is "slightly" more that's an option.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Give the ID subs a look HSU,SVS,Epik,Outlaw and Rythmik you will always get more for your money versus the big name speaker.
post #3 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentD View Post

Basically I'm looking for biggest bang for my buck.

Hello and welcome!

You might take a look at the Hsu line of subwoofers, as I think there is quite a lot of bang for your buck with them. The ULS-15 is especially popular, but it may be more than you'd want to spend.

oz
post #4 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I would take a good look at the SVS PB12nsd. It is a great all around performer with both music and movies. It is priced at $769 shipped

http://www.svsound.com/view-all?page...&product_id=14
post #5 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
65% off MSRP may make the Def Tech's more competitive with the ID brands, but I'm not sure. Which Def Tech Subs exist that fit in this price range after the discount? That would make comparing specs a little easier.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Since I have been researching that price range (well up to $800), these were my choices for that price range:
SVS PB12nsd
Elemental Design A5-350
Outlaw (but it is out of stock until the end of March)
HSU vtf-3mk4

I was almost decided to go with the A5-350 first but then decided to go with the HSU VTF-15H for my decently big room but I think any of the above will be great for your price range.

Mario Lemieux is GOD!
Go Pens!!!
Aguante Boca!!!
If dolphins are so smart...why do they live in igloos?
post #7 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

My Paradigm PW2100 v2 has called it quits. I just upgraded my receiver so I am hoping to not go crazy on cost replacing it. Basically I'm looking for biggest bang for my buck. I have a Yamaha RX-A3010 receiver with two Paradigm Studio 40 v3's for my mains. These serve a 14x28 room with the hometheater in the front half of it. I'm kind of a newb when it comes to subs and really don't know what's out there or what's good.

Also, my employer has an accomodation program with Definitive where I can basically buy the speakers direct from Definitive for about 65% off MSRP. I just don't know anything about their subs or which one I should be looking at. I'd like to keep the overall price at about $700 (about the same I paid for my old sub) but if there is something someone here thinks I should really look at that is "slightly" more that's an option.

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can give!

So, you are saying you can get 65% off Def Tech prices? A supercube reference lists for $1,899.00 so you would pay $664. That is a great deal. Def tech subs get bashed alot b/c they exaggerate theirs specs. They are overpriced also, in general. But, I have read that the reference and trinity high end subs have lots of output for HT use. So, given your huge discount, it might be the best option. Especially, if you need lots of output from a small sub. There are lots of ID subs from Epik, Hsu, Outlaw and SVS that are around that range once you include shipping. My guess is the output from the supercube reference will beat the ID offerings that are sealed in that price range and size, like the SVS SB12 or Emotive xref 12 and be similar to the output from the much larger ID ported subs, like the PB12 NSD or the Hsu VFT 3 or Outlaw lfm1 Ex.

post #8 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post

65% off MSRP may make the Def Tech's more competitive with the ID brands, but I'm not sure. Which Def Tech Subs exist that fit in this price range after the discount? That would make comparing specs a little easier.

That's sort of what I was thinking too. 55% off for instance makes the SuperCube Reference ~$850.00, which I would be willing to spend on something that was a good deal performance/cost wise. A SuperCube I would be ~550.00

Wow, it's been barely an hour and so many responses already. You guys are awesome!
post #9 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

So, you are saying you can get 65% off Def Tech prices? A supercube reference lists for $1,899.00 so you would pay $664. That is a great deal. Def tech subs get bashed alot b/c they exaggerate theirs specs. They are overpriced also, in general. But, I have read that the reference and trinity high end subs have lots of output for HT use. So, given your huge discount, it might be the best option. Especially, if you need lots of output from a small sub. There are lots of ID subs from Epik, Hsu, Outlaw and SVS that are around that range once you include shipping. My guess is the output from the supercube reference will beat the ID offerings that are sealed in that price range and size, like the SVS SB12 or Emotive xref 12 and be similar to the output from the much larger ID ported subs, like the PB12 NSD or the Hsu VFT 3 or Outlaw lfm1 Ex.

I realized late that I meant 55%, not 65%. Would you say the same thing about a SC Reference for $850?
post #10 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm looking at replacing my 12+yr old Paradigm PS1200. I'm currently looking at the HSU VTF3-MK4, Rythmik F15, or an Epik Empire.

Jeff
post #11 of 11 Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
Quote:

I realized late that I meant 55%, not 65%. Would you say the same thing about a SC Reference for $850?

I don't know the measured output of the reference. The ID brands mostly have been reviewed extensively. Try to research the reference and see if you can find any measurements on it.

It may come down to what size a sub you can fit, or want to get. I mean, the def tech reference if just over 16 inches cubed, while the lfm1 EX is much bigger, for example, 21.5 x 17 x 24.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page