Help selecting subwoofer and AVR for Klipsch KG series speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-20-2012, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm setting up a HT in a large basement area (~1200 sq ft) and need some advice on selecting a subwoofer and AVR.

I have some vintage Klipsch speakers that I purchased new back in 1995 that I just don't want to replace.
2 - KG 5.5
2 - KG 1.5
1 - KV 2

Basement is ~1200 sq ft with staircase in the center. I have an Epson 8350 projector with 128 screen. The main viewing / listening area is ~15' x 25'. It will be used mostly for watching movies, playing video games and listening to music.

Would I be better off looking for a used SW series subwoofer or should I consider purchasing some newer technology?
Budget for subwoofer $400

I'm also interested in advice on a new AVR to go with the setup.
I would like to be able to switch multiple video sources between the projector and another TV on the other side of the basement.
Budget for AVR $1000 - $1500

I've been reading the forum for about 6 months now and it is a bit overwhelming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-20-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by sblasch View Post

I'm setting up a HT in a large basement area (~1200 sq ft) and need some advice on selecting a subwoofer and AVR.

I have some vintage Klipsch speakers that I purchased new back in 1995 that I just don't want to replace.
2 - KG 5.5
2 - KG 1.5
1 - KV 2

Basement is ~1200 sq ft with staircase in the center. I have an Epson 8350 projector with 128 screen. The main viewing / listening area is ~15' x 25'. It will be used mostly for watching movies, playing video games and listening to music.

Would I be better off looking for a used SW series subwoofer or should I consider purchasing some newer technology?
Budget for subwoofer $400

I'm also interested in advice on a new AVR to go with the setup.
I would like to be able to switch multiple video sources between the projector and another TV on the other side of the basement.
Budget for AVR $1000 - $1500

I've been reading the forum for about 6 months now and it is a bit overwhelming.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I run kgs as well. Went through the same decisions at one time. Check out my my Sig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 02-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have the KG 5.5's as I am running dual subs. I have an Outlaw EX and a Premier Acoustic PA-150. The Outlaw is going to run much more than your budget you have posted but the PA-150 can be had for around $370 shipped ....

Link: http://www.sounddistributors.com/buy...red+Subwoofers
* You just have to email Eric to see what his best price shipped is all.

For the Price the Pa-150 is quite a sub as it plays very well with both HT & music. The Outlaw will dig quite a bit deeper but then again its quite a bit more $.

As far as a receiver goes, it all boils down to what you want & need ( as you may have found out by now ). I would look into the Onkyo 809 ( I have the 808) as its been a fantastic unit for me for the past 1 1/2 yrs. Just a suggestion is all.
post #4 of 4 Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi found about these today. Would these be ideal with a 5.1 setup? I have a pair of Icon 15 and really like them, so these I'm sure are better.

Reply Subwoofers, Bass, and Transducers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page